cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Factory Tours

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone here ever done a factory tour? We're hoping to head to Elkhart in October. Planning to go to Grand Design, Alliance, and Jayco before we place our order.

Just wondering what you thought, where'd you stay, etc. Any other tips?

I know the RV Museum is there and we may do that if there's time but this is definitely a fact finding trip.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the Mobile Suite factory tour in 2008. Not a MS owner or looking to buy one. Very new to RVing at the time. Wanted to have an idea of how they are put together.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone. We're really looking forward to it. Still looking at the latter part of October.

Campinghoss@51. Just between you and me. We looked at the Brinkley's at the Tampa Show back in January. I just don't see all the hype; especially for the price.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
We are taking our fiver up to Elkhart the first of October to MorRyde. I have had enough worries with bent leafs and broke spring hangers. While they are installing the IS and disc brakes we had a factory tour planned for Brinkley. A few weeks ago we had the chance to inspect a new Brinkley toy hauler. While the inside looked nice we were not that impressed with the rest of the unit. I have cancelled our tour and we plan to spend the rest of our time sight seeing and museums.

If you are interested in the new models of Brinkley they are still accepting dates for early October.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
A little dated but when we first began our RV search we were still working {1989}. We began the searches during our vacations, first to WY, KS, MO, IN, and a couple I forget. This was done over a 3 year period and was very interesting.
After this period it came down to two brands, Teton and Hitchhiker. After doing the pro and cons routine it was Hitchhiker Champagne. Our first one was a 1991 40ft which we began fulltime in 1996. Then trader for a 1998 38ft which we still have. The tours was what convinced us to make our choice.

Jim/Linda

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
We toured the Sunnybrook plant in like 2012 When we had our trailer repaired for a crack in the siding above the door. We stayed in a hotel in Shipshewanna and ate at Essenhause. Was a good trip and tour. Don't know what Winnebago's policy is these days.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
There are plenty of decent hotels in the area, just off the toll road exit on Ind 19 and near CR4. I believe most if not all the factories can accommodate you for a tour. Just check ahead of time. Imagine their websites give a number to call.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
DW and I are headed there in a week right now in Traverse City MI. Anyway we have reservations at Shipshewana North Park, have never been there so can not let you know anything about the park.

https://www.shipshewanacampgroundnorth.com/

The park just seemed like a good location for our plans which include a factory tour (yet to be determined), RV Hall of Fame and I understand there is a great Amish Restaurant.

Now more in a couple weeks Good Luck with your plans
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 2013 we bought our 2012 Nexus 23P Class C used with just 6,205 miles on it in Tucson. In 2014 we did a two month cross country 22 state trip that took us all the way to Maine. On the return leg we passed through Elkhart and stopped at the Nexus factory. They had a number of guest sites {that were free} with hook ups on their property and despite buying used were welcomed as members of the Nexus family.

We took an hour long factory tour and were very impressed. Seeing "up close and personal' how these fine coaches are built was a real eye opener.

I had them install a custom spare tire mount under the rear of the coach, add a seat belt and make a couple of minor repairs {the labor rate was a very reasonable $75 an hour}. We were planning on leaving the third morning but the they came out and informed us that a serious line of thunderstorms was incoming and asked to stay as their guests for another night an offer that we could not refuse.

While in Elkhart we spent several hours touring the RV Museum and I highly recommend it. If you are going to be anywhere near Elkhart take the time to visit, you will be glad you did.

For the record our tenth anniversary of owning our Nexus is coming up the end of this month. We have visited 37 states and logged 69K+ trouble free miles and are looking forward to many more.

Here is shot of a roof section under construction, that's our coach getting its new spare tire carrier in the background:

Here are a couple of shots of the RV/MH Museum:

:B

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We went to jayco, and Winn in IA. A bit canned but good to see where the quality comes from (or not).

Regardless, those folks with hard.

Plenty of hotels around, and I think you can boondock at the museum.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.