cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fading Front Cap paint issues, questions

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
(Could not figure out where to post this question, so will try this "general" topic.)

Rig specific: Grand Design Imagine (2018 2600RB, travel trailer).

Has anyone had problems with the dark front cap fading on the Grand Design RV's? I have known of terrible issue on other brands, of which were neither fixed by the manufacturer OR even repairable without having the front end repainted via an outside shop - and at considerable expense.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
'19 Nash (Northwood Mft) 22H
'07 2500 GMC Sierra HD, CC, 4x4, 3.73s, LongBed Duramax,
Equalizer, Enkay Mudflaps
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc
"A bird is a bird. A fish is a fish. A Dog is a Person."
5 REPLIES 5

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
If its a new 2018 trailer, is that not covered by warranty? Dealer should take care of it.
Unless you are talking about after many years of use.

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
On my GD 2017, not sure but the black appears to be a decal. On mine I have some "rock" chips through the black and it shows white. I touch it up with black paint.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Is it pain or gel coat? Not sure about grand design but most RV's are gelcoat unless you get into the really high end bus conversions.

It helps if you keep them buffed and waxed but there's a reason most pleasure boats are white. It doesn't show the chalking and fading as much, plus it absorbs a lot more heat in the sun.

Paining the end caps really shouldn't take much except for the removal and replacement of the vinyl graphics.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
This has been a well known problem for many years.

Paint checking has been an issue in even some of the high dollar brands.

Clearcoat peeling on Motorhome railing sides and front and rear caps has been an issue since the 1990's.

I have a 2001 Beaver coach that has both of these issues. I have painted my side rails successfully myself. I have taken care of redoing my fiberglass roof paint and am working on the front and rear upper caps due to clearcoat peeling off.

My coach is parked at home, out in the sun 24/7 and that sure doesn't help. If you have a garage or covered rv port it sure does help, but if you fulltime it is again always out in the sun and the weather.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Any dark surface, even automotive paint, will fade if given enough bright sun.

I'm guessing you are looking at a new trailer and the GD made the list. You can let us in on your plans, most folks here don't bite and it will focus advice.

FWIW, if a trailer landed on my driveway, gratis, with a dark gelcoat front cap, I'd apply the best UV protectant on it and use the rig. If it faded in a few years, I could paint it.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton