Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fading Headlight Lenses

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Just a blurb on clearing up faded headlight lenses. Got a tip (third hand) that toothpaste rubbed over the plexiglass lenses will clear up the fading.

For what it's worth, there it is.

Regards,
๐Ÿ™‚
Ray
28 REPLIES 28

moose888
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you get them clear again they will turn back. I would get new ones and make covers for the lights when the RV is sitting in the sun. I made a set of covers for mine so the sun wouldn't bleach them out.

CopanoCruisin
Explorer
Explorer
Believe this one or not, I was amazed when I just happen to see this guy at work spraying Deep Woods Off on his headlight lens, and it worked. WOW !........cC

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
frankdamp wrote:
Since I rarely drive the RV after dark, I haven't bothered doing anything with mine. After being used to 100/75 watt Halogens on my cars in the UK. I found US headlights so dim, I was afraid to go more than 45 mph for fear the wind would blow them out. They're a bit better now they're more powerful than the 48/36 watt sealed beam lamps were in the 1960s,

You got that right, that's why I have HID. The stock lights of a "01 Ram were dismal.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Since I rarely drive the RV after dark, I haven't bothered doing anything with mine. After being used to 100/75 watt Halogens on my cars in the UK. I found US headlights so dim, I was afraid to go more than 45 mph for fear the wind would blow them out. They're a bit better now they're more powerful than the 48/36 watt sealed beam lamps were in the 1960s,
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

bertnspike
Explorer
Explorer
I used some good old Crest on a damp microfiber cloth for the car and the RV 8 months ago. The headlight lenses look nice and clear and bright. What's better than that?

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
itsabouttime wrote:
I considered a repair kit for my headlights but found an affordable alternative. From 1aauto.com I got a set of two headlights for my 99 F-350 for a total of $64. Their description said it didn't include lamps but they came with them anyway and shipping was free. The installation took me less then two hours.
Russ

The repair kit would be cheaper for me considering the OEM replacements for my wife's Mini Cooper are close to 400 bucks apiece.
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

itsabouttime
Explorer
Explorer
I considered a repair kit for my headlights but found an affordable alternative. From 1aauto.com I got a set of two headlights for my 99 F-350 for a total of $64. Their description said it didn't include lamps but they came with them anyway and shipping was free. The installation took me less then two hours.
Russ

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
mm047 wrote:
Since the head light covers are plastic, the "best" but most possibly destructive cleaner is acetone. Instead of pure acetone, I use a little of my wife's nail polish remover. It has acetone, but not pure. Just a little on a paper towel is great.

I suspect that most of the kits have a cleaner that is part acetone.

As noted above, Three cents worth of toothpaste or twenty cents worth of acetone nail polish remover kinda sounds more cost effective compared to all of the other doodads and kits on the market.

:B
Ray

mm047
Explorer
Explorer
Since the head light covers are plastic, the "best" but most possibly destructive cleaner is acetone. Instead of pure acetone, I use a little of my wife's nail polish remover. It has acetone, but not pure. Just a little on a paper towel is great.

I suspect that most of the kits have a cleaner that is part acetone.
Mike M.

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6
2016 Flagstaff 21FBRS
Equal-I-Zer

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
This also works rather well. ๐Ÿ˜›
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problem with getting my headlights like new again with a Meguires Headlight cleaner. But.....the "like new" clarity only lasts for about a month and starts to dim and get cloudy right away. I'd like to find something that keeps them looking good.
BTW: SAMs has an advertisement that for $30 will make your lenses like new again and guaranty it for 5 years????? I'm tempted to check that out. That 5 year guaranty sounds really good.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buffed car headlights with 303 Protectant over time and the lenses cleared up quite a by. Side benefit of 303's UV protection.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Since we never drive after dark, our headlights are purely for other drivers to see us. There's enough square feet being lit that nobody can say they didn't see us coming.

There may be a 20% increase in light between the DRL mode and "real" headlights. but it's hard to tell.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Can't beat Maguiar's products for all automotive cleaning needs. My car got bumped in a parking garage once. No dent, but there was paint on my front fender. It wouldn't wash off or wipe off. I tried the Maguiar's on a soft cloth, rubbed it off with a clean part of the cloth and it was good as new. No elbow grease required. They have a headlight cleaner as part of their product line.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.