cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding a CG has become such a frustrating pain in the....

We are planning 3 weeks this summer in Saskatchewan on a lake. Didn't think it would be that big a deal, as Sask has thousands of lakes.

I have a 93 year old aunt I want to visit, so I'm looking close to Swift Current.

Well gee whiz, its turned into a serious pain in rear. We have a rear window living area so want to back in to a site with a view of the lake or something nice.

Didn't think this would be so difficult.

Seems like there are now more RV'ers than CG's.

We have looked online at numerous places, tried booking one and all we can get is unsuitable sites.

Sigh.....
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
26 REPLIES 26

Iceman31 wrote:
Not many regional or provincial parks are even accepting reservations this early.

Do you know when the Sask provincial CG's start accepting reservations?

Everywhere I've been searching all says the same thing for all sites. Unavailable.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
badsix wrote:
The wife and I drove down to a couple of our local campgrounds one Saturday during the summer last year. both have signs that they are full. as we are driving through we see several sites vacant 8- 10, as we are exiting I see the camp host and ask if your full how come you have many open sites. he says they are reserved, but he also says the people may or probably wont show up. most were reserved for three nights the soonest we could have one would be monday afternoon. even though they sat vacant Friday Saturday and Sunday. what gives!
Jay D.

Iโ€™ve hosted at a campground that takes reservations for some sites. When people reserve sites, they pay for them, too. At ours, they pay for the entire reservation up front. Other CGs they may only pay for day one. In doing so, they are guaranteed the site no matter when they arrive. Sometimes they get a latter start on the trip than they planned or encounter delays on the road. Then there are those who just decide not to go camping after all and instead of doing the right thing and canceling so we can let somebody else have the site, they just never show up.

Many reservable campgrounds do have a policy that if the site isnโ€™t occupied by the end of the first day, the rest of the reservation is automatically cancelled. This, IMHO, is the best compromise but not all campgrounds do it.

Many of those reservation cancelled sites become available if you are willing to show up early in the morning and hang around waiting, which some are willing to do and some are not.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
badsix wrote:
The wife and I drove down to a couple of our local campgrounds one Saturday during the summer last year. both have signs that they are full. as we are driving through we see several sites vacant 8- 10, as we are exiting I see the camp host and ask if your full how come you have many open sites. he says they are reserved, but he also says the people may or probably wont show up. most were reserved for three nights the soonest we could have one would be monday afternoon. even though they sat vacant Friday Saturday and Sunday. what gives!
Jay D.

I really doubt the campgrounds care if the site was occupied or not. The y apparently were paid for.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Thanks Don, I'll check it out.

Part of our trip will be a run to Carlyle for a couple days. We are going to meet with a bunch of my cousins for a family reunion gathering. But then back to our main stay somewhere close to Swift.

Want to take a run to Maryfield too.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Jay D.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bob,

I'd go to Saskatchewan Landing. It is 52 k from Swift Current and the entire park is along the Saskatchewan River.

Do take time to go to the Drivin movie theatre at Kyle, SK

https://saskparks.goingtocamp.com/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fAccount%2fDefault.aspx

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dick_B wrote:
In 15 years of RVing I have had one site like the one you are looking for; and that was by luck. How about settling for a campground on a lake that you can walk to.

I'm ok with that as long as our rear living area isn't staring at a neighbor or a garbage bin or something. We like to look out at something peaceful over our morning coffee.

Iceman31 wrote:
Not many regional or provincial parks are even accepting reservations this early.

Oh, I figured I better get after it or I'll wind up Wallydocking in Regina or something....
Didn't think it was too early.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
In 15 years of RVing I have had one site like the one you are looking for; and that was by luck. How about settling for a campground on a lake that you can walk to.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
People are learning all over that you can not make short term reservations any more - I have 4 reservations for the winter of 2020 already - the last three parks we have stayed at on the Texas Gulf coast were 100% occupied
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Iceman31
Explorer
Explorer
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Express Night Edition
2018 Venture RV Sporttrek 343VIK
2017 Hyundai Tuscon SE AWD
2016 Hyundai Sonata Limited
2014 Chevrolet Camaro LS1
2004 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
2011 Crestliner Superhawk c/w 115HP Mercury
2012 Honda CBR250

Maybe I should ask Don...
Don? You're a Sask boy, any thoughts?
๐Ÿ™‚