cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fire ant treatment

arnko37
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this is reply to another post but decided it may be overlooked there. It is important info for any staying in fire ant area. USE HOUSEHOLD BLEACH and a towel or paper towel to wipe down the area around where the ants got on you. Do it promptly and later you will never know they were on you. I have done this quite a few times and it works. I live in SW Florida and when working outside keep a jug of bleach and a paper towel handy.
8 REPLIES 8

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
MM49 wrote:
A hint on RV's and bugs. I always let my portable generator run with the exaust pointed under the RV. It only takes about 30 minutes. The bugs are very sensitive and they have a memory. When I do this I've never had an infestation.
MM49

I feel much dumber by even reading that!
You might not understand. This trick was taught to me by the federal police in the Amazonas State. In that region bug control is a life and death proposition
MM49

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
A hint on RV's and bugs. I always let my portable generator run with the exaust pointed under the RV. It only takes about 30 minutes. The bugs are very sensitive and they have a memory. When I do this I've never had an infestation.
MM49

I feel much dumber by even reading that!
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
MM49

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know info. Thanks for sharing.
I've never encountered Fire Ants.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks for the bleach tip. haven't had a mishap in a long time, but I LOOK where I walk and especially where I stand, even for a second, and I don't wear sandals unless I'm gonna be on sidewalks. I usually warn anyone who I know is new to Texas about fire ants, rattlers, scorpions and stinging nettles. Ya gotta LOOK at your path when you're walking...anywhere.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
pennysmom09 wrote:
Ammonia works well too...the After Bite cream is basically ammonia in a petrolatum base. Stops the sting and prevents the blister if used immediately. Don't ask me how I know!!

X2 on the "After Bite". And I keep a bottle of Benydril Gel on hand too.

Gonna try that bleach trick next time. Thanks for the tip! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Ammonia works well too...the After Bite cream is basically ammonia in a petrolatum base. Stops the sting and prevents the blister if used immediately. Don't ask me how I know!!
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

cabranch47
Explorer
Explorer
Also works for wasp stings.
2009 Flagstaff HW 27SC
1999 Ford F150 XCab