cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First experience at RV park was a terrible one- please help

alasarno
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize in advance for how long this is going to take me to explain. We checked into an RV resort on August 1 in the Florida Keys which has about 95 percent of its residents as permanent. We had just finished pulling the travel trailer for 5 hours. The staff was very friendly upon check in, but we were never given a list of rules nor did we sign an agreement. This had been reserved for months. Our reservation was for 2 months. We pulled our trailer to the site and was showed where to park next to the unit. (as it turns out, where we were told to park was actually the neighbors spot. When he arrived a week later, he had to confront us very nicely about. He showed us where our spot really was and we moved our truck there. )

We connected everything got some rest and left to head back to our home a 4 hour drive away to get our boat the next day. When we came back with the boat, we were showed our spot in the marina and advised that we were the last spot at the end of the marina. We even mentioned that there was extra room in front of us,but were once again told we were the last spot.

The first few weeks were uneventful and we did enjoy ourselves. At some point around the 3rd week, we brought our lab to the Rv resort. We believe that this was the start of the problems. We were not planning to bring the dog at all, but after seeing other people there with dogs of the same size, we decided it would be okay. We went out on the boat to snorkel and look for lobster for a few hours. When we came back in, the dog started playing with another lab that was also off leash, and did a number two near the tiki area by the dock. My boyfriend immediately dug through a garbage can for something to pick it up with, he did and disposed of it.

The next day the manager of the resort told us to please keep the dog on leash and pick up after it. Which we did from that moment on. On the 29th of August, we went out in the boat for the day. When we came in there was a note on the trailer door stating that we were in violation of having an ice machine plugged in and functioning. It had been plugged in for nearly 3 weeks. They said it was a commercial unit and based on the rules and regulations and agreement, (that we never signed or received) we were not allowed to have. The machine runs on 110 and is plugged in at home and does not run constantly. It costs about 8 dollars a month at home to run. The monies that we paid for the stay, included the cost of electric, water and sewer. It was about double what the permanent guests pay, but they pay the utilities separate. We immediately went to the ice machine to turn it off, however the staff took it upon themselves to come on our lot and unplug it, without giving us a chance to do it ourselves.

So, that was Thursday. Friday, we went out in the afternoon to go fishing. When we came back, there was another boat at the end of the dock, which we were told was not a slip. We could not fit our boat in our slip, and could not access our line to tie up without removing their line, and moving their boat up about a foot. So, we did, headed back to the trailer, cleaned up and headed back to the common area to a gathering where they were doing karaoke. Before we could make it back to the common area, which is right at the dock, two men rushed up to us in a golf cart. One of the men in the passenger seat was the manager of the resort and did not utter a word. The one driving was a very large man, that very intimidatingly yelled at us about moving his boat. We found out later he was the husband of one of the ladies that work in the office. My boyfriend very cordially told him we could all go to to dock and see about fixing the situation. The gentleman who yelled at my boyfriend, eventually apologized after noticing that we were in fact in our spot. However, the manager never said anything.

At this point, we decided that there was no chance that we were going to stay for month two. Saturday, we went to the office to let them know that we wanted to pull our boat our and park it next to the trailer in our neighbors parking spot (which he gave us permission to do). We needed it next to us to pack up items some of which were expensive dive gear and the ice machine. The office person told us we couldn't do that. We asked if she could just verify it with the manager. She said she would ask and for us to come back in ten minutes. We did, at which point, she told us she had rented our spot in the marina because we said we were pulling our boat out. However, we couldn't because they wouldn't allow us to park it next to us. At this point, since they rented our spot for Saturday night out from under us, and the neighbor gave us permission to, we pulled the boat and parked it next to us.

At 4 pm, I went to the office with a written request for a copy of the park rules, and our agreement with our signature, a copy of our invoice, the names of the office personnel, and the corporate contact information. It also stated we were leaving the next morning. The office was closed so later that evening, when the managers were at home, my boyfriend brought the letter to their home onsite. By 1 am, we were served eviction papers and told we had until noon the next morning. It stated that we caused disturbances to the park under Florida Statute 513.13, which we did not.

The only paper they gave us was an invoice showing monies they were refunding to us. They charged us for illegal use of our lot $35. We don't know what this was. Never got park rules, or signed agreement. We felt that it was our right to have this information, so when we were all packed at about 930am, we called the non emergency sheriffs line to request a sheriff to keep things neutral so we could get this paperwork. Instead of coming to us first, he went to the manager, and the two of them came marching up to us. The sheriffs first words were "Rough night here last night? Your lucky you weren't kicked out last night and that we weren't here to do it" We were astounded. No, not a rough night, we were in our trailer all night watching a football game. REALLY????

We asked all of the neighbors around us to sign a petition stating that we did not disturb them while we were here. We had some people in the park, when they heard about the petition, come to us. From what we have been told this management has done nothing but bully and harass people, which was evident by what they did to us. The only warnings we received were about the ice machine in writing, which they shut off for us, and about the dog being on a leash. We are dumbfounded and I can't seem to find out what tenants rights are in this situation. We are contacting the main offices tomorrow and our lawyer. It's awful when we have to tell people we were kicked out. They ask why, and we don't even know what we did. Please help with any advice. Thank you.
34 REPLIES 34

Admin
alasarno wrote:
When they "evict" you, they have to give you any unused money back. I'm not sure what kind of legal action there is which is why I am contacting my lawyer.

Forum Rules
"Posts are not allowed in which a local, state, or federal consumer action board and/or legal counsel is/have been involved. This includes posts related to future, ongoing or past lawsuits."

This thread is closed and NO further posts regarding the subject will be allowed.

Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net

alasarno
Explorer
Explorer
I swear I will post it tomorrow after we contact the corporate offices. The only reason I posted prior to that is in hopes of getting some feedback from others on what happened. Trust me, I would never wish anyone to go through what we did and have no problem posting the name after our conversation with corporate.

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Mods...why is this thread still here? The OP is seeking legal counsel.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Parks Name should be posted so that other people that share your opinion would stay away from it. Campers are paying to rent a location and SERVICE and should not be treated in that matter.
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly

alasarno
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmart,

Thank you.

alasarno
Explorer
Explorer
I'm definitely not looking for sympathy. I guess we are just confused about why and how quickly things went so wrong. We are also wondering if this is the way transients are normally treated in these types of situations. We asked for the rules from them, which they do copy and give out, just not to us. From our point of view, if they don't want to give us a copy, perhaps things like telling us we aren't allowed to have an ice machine isn't really on there.

The parking...we were at the beginning parked in someone elses spot, only because that is where they told us to park. When the neighbor who has become our friend and will be visiting us in a few weeks, told us it was his spot and showed us where we were supposed to park, we moved.

A dog will poo when a dog wants to poo. It was immediately picked up and never happened like that again, and was kept on leash after that. Actually, we never brought her any where again in the park other than the designated dog walk.

If I could state their point of view, I would, but when we asked, they couldn't tell us. I can assure you we did not cause a disturbance, and I would never assume I had rented the whole campground.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
perhaps if you paid with a credit card you could dispute the charges.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
alasarno wrote:
They have tried to contact the corporate office, only for their emails to be intercepted by the local management at the resort.
Your story was believable up until now.

2oldman, It happens more often than you think. I'm in a membership resort where the absentee park manager doesn't care to show up in the parks that they oversee unless there is a personal injury, or police or fire are called. Members (including myself) have emailed complaints to the corporate office, only to learn that the corporate office blindly forwards emails to the respective park managers. Members (including myself) have called the corporate office to complain, only to have our calls forwarded to the respective park manager's phone - which always goes to voicemail. The park staff complain to corporate - only to have their park-related problems fall on deaf ears as well, and then they vent their frustrations to the members in the park.

I've been there, seen it, lived it. There ARE RV parks AND RV resorts out there where the management is only interested in collecting rent, selling memberships, and charging fees. How they continue to stay in business with such an anti-customer service mentality is beyond me.

The worst of such parks are the ones where the park staff have the same apathetic attitude as the management/corporate office. I believe that the OP had a stroke of very bad luck in selecting such a park to stay at.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Hoppypoppy wrote:
"W.C. Fields, "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Did W.C.say that? Think it was from "Cool Hand Luke".

It was.

Back to the O.P. - You write about what your experiences were, the outcome of those experiences, and you ask for advice. Advice on what? I think you are asking for advice. but you are really just looking for sympathy.

But I will give my 2 cents worth of "advice". Chalk this one up to experience and let it go. Any money you believe you are out, just consider it tuition for the school of life.

Next time, read the rules on the cg's website, or ask for a copy when you get to the cg. I have never seen a cg yet that didn't want you to know the rules. Every time I have signed in, they stick a copy in my hand.

Most of its common sense. No spitting, No fighting, No yelling, No drunken orgies, No gun play - you get the drift. Leashing and cleaning up after your pet is a common rule in every campground I have ever been in. Parking on other peoples spots is a no-no also. You rented the patch of dirt you were on, not the whole campground. The ice machine thing is weird, but they aren't that common around here, so I can't figure the logic on that. But hey, it's their rice bowl.....

I will concede that that the situation could have been handled better if it was like you describe, but not having the other parties story I can't judge. As they say "The truth often lies in the middle"

Finally, good things happen most of the time, bad things happen some of the time. As you get more experience in this hobby, or way of life as some would say, you will enjoy it more.

Amen.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
alasarno wrote:
When they "evict" you, they have to give you any unused money back.

Not sure that's true if you're evicted "for cause", which the papers they gave you seem to indicate is the case (at least from their point of view).

But since they did refund you most of the unused money, I'm still mystified as to what possible legally actionable losses/injuries you can claim to have suffered-?
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

alasarno
Explorer
Explorer
When they "evict" you, they have to give you any unused money back. I'm not sure what kind of legal action there is which is why I am contacting my lawyer.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
alasarno wrote:
I would love nothing more than to name this resort, but will wait until after talking to my lawyer

:h

I'm at a loss as to what legally actionable injury you think you suffered here...do let us know if your lawyer thinks there's a cause-of-action in there somewhere.

Frankly, I'm surprised that this place gave you any of your money back. Sounds like they were just as eager to put an end to (whatever) as you were.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

alasarno
Explorer
Explorer
WTTCS

thank you for your opinion.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Pay one day at a time and move if you don't like something. Everybody wins except your lawyer.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"