cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First Trip/Last Trip

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Last week I took the last RV trip of the season, which was also the first of my new life.
At the end of September, Beverley, my wife (2nd time for both of us) of 33 years unexpectedly passed away.
The last week of October was forecasted to be good weather in Southern Ontario, so I decided to take the MH out for one last trip of the season. I went to the KOA in Niagara Falls until they closed the gates for the season last Thursday. Too quiet, last night there were only 4 campers left.
It was a very emotional trip, too many good memories. Just realizing that the co-pilots seat and the other half of the bed were empty. We are retired, but not full timers and in the last 4 years probably spent about 2 months a year living in the MH.
I will not be giving up RVing, but have put the annual winter trip to FL on hold for now. My daughter and teenage grandsons want me close, at least for a while.

Beverley and Ken sorry just Ken now.
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.
31 REPLIES 31

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
so sorry for your loss. It would be so hard to take a trip alone after having your copilot along for 33 years. Take your time and no reason to make any decisions right now.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
First and foremost, I'm sorry for your loss. But let me make a suggestion as a lifetime single RVer.
Make your first trip someplace that the two of you didn't visit. It doesn't have to be far away or even a "destination". I have no way of knowing if you can handle it or not, and neither do you. But give it a try so you can find out.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Ken,
I am so sorry for your loss.
I think your daughter and grandsons have made the right call.
Please take all the time you need to grieve your loss.
Based on my personal experience I can tell you that it doesn't get better BUT it does get "different". Hang in there.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Ken,
there is only one guarenteed lifetime in this world. Beverly has had hers, at His choice. Yours is to live on, at His pleasure.
It would be an honor to Beverly to live on as she wanted to do.
The empty side of your life is not a failing, but a calling. Beverly will be with you always.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Damn Ken, that hurts. I am truly sorry to read of your loss. My wife is not in the best of health, there will come a time when we have to hang up the keys but we are determined to make the best of what we have left. It will be tough to go to sleep and wake up alone but I sincerely hope you will come to a point where the pain is not so unbearable and you can smile at the memories. Peace be with you brother.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Ken...my condolences. May God give you strength.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
So very sorry for your loss. Please know that people are thinking about you in this difficult time and that we are always here for you if you need us.

Smitty64
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, I am very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have some wonderful memories traveling with your wife. I recently lost my husband of 30 years unexpectedly as well. I hope you will find the strength to continue the RV lifestyle that you both loved. Again, my condolences.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Our thoughts and prayers will be with you.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry for your loss. Please know that all of us in the RV community care about you and hope that you will find a way to rejoin us soon. lizzie

southwoods46
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry to hear of your loss! May you be comforted by the many memories you had together (although painful right now) and the love and support of close family and friends.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
I know from where you come. I am in the same boat and tried the same resolution. It did not work for me either. I tried several times and it just would not work. My wife and I were very close.

I hope you find a way to do it. For me I hung it all up and have not regretted it. We traveled for over 40 years together. I am so sorry about your loss, I feel your pain.

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
Your post brought tears to my eyes...we had all better enjoy the ones we love while we can in this life. I hope you keep her memory alive by continuing to enjoy camping.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
oh that is so sad and I am so sorry for your loss.
the memories are wonderful but painful right now but at least you say you had great ones!!!