cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First Trip/Last Trip

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Last week I took the last RV trip of the season, which was also the first of my new life.
At the end of September, Beverley, my wife (2nd time for both of us) of 33 years unexpectedly passed away.
The last week of October was forecasted to be good weather in Southern Ontario, so I decided to take the MH out for one last trip of the season. I went to the KOA in Niagara Falls until they closed the gates for the season last Thursday. Too quiet, last night there were only 4 campers left.
It was a very emotional trip, too many good memories. Just realizing that the co-pilots seat and the other half of the bed were empty. We are retired, but not full timers and in the last 4 years probably spent about 2 months a year living in the MH.
I will not be giving up RVing, but have put the annual winter trip to FL on hold for now. My daughter and teenage grandsons want me close, at least for a while.

Beverley and Ken sorry just Ken now.
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.
31 REPLIES 31

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for your loss, and I'm glad you've gotten yourself out camping! Six years ago I lost my DH to brain cancer when we were 54. The TT became one more thing to deal with, and after 2 years I sold it. Year 3 I deeply regretted it, and came to miss camping terribly. Year 5 I found a great guy who loved to camp - ultimately we married and bought a new TT, and are now making lots of new happy memories.

Good luck to you!
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

k1hog
Explorer
Explorer
Two friends, a little older then I, have lost there wives. They both have not used there rv sence the passing of their wives.

Your courage is inspiring!

God Speed

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers. The RV community is great. Some of the campers from our regular summer campground (only 3 weeks each year) sent their condolences as well as the campground owners and all there family. (P.S. it is a KOA)

Thanks again Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

sele
Explorer
Explorer
we will keep good thoughts for you and your family
I can not imagine being in your place
scott

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
My condolences, Ken, from one who has been there. Here's a short story.
Two years ago, a group of us who met aat a RV park in Myrtle Beach noted one of our group had not arrived yet. A quick call found that his wife had passed away the preceding week. Shortly after the call, he pulled into the park. His children had loaded the MH and told him to go for his usual trip. When I left a couple of weeks later, he said it was the best thing he could have done, being with friends.
Last year, I lost my wife of 45 years after a long term battle with cancer. I talked to the daughters, remembered my friends words and packed off to Myrtle Beach. I think you can guess who the first one to greet me was. He and I went to dinner a couple of nights later and had a wonderful conversation that really helped me out. He and I went to lunch this year, and with a years gap, had another great conversation.
After all the years, is it funny traveling alone? Yep. Is it different? Yep. But I am sure not going to mope around the house, the boss wouldn't have liked that. Besides, you meet so many good people in RV parks.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I feel a lot of sorrow just hearing about such an event. I guess it's because it might happen to me. I certainly don't know exactly what I would do.
I suppose you really have to reach deep to find the strength to keep going. Family and friens can help, I know. Their support can be a life saver. I wish you strength, and hope you find ways of enjoying the rest of your life.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ken, so sorry to hear of your loss. But what a great tribute to Beverley.
She will always be with you in spirit. Only you will know if and when the time will be right to go on RVing alone. For now, prayers and condolences your way.

chalet05
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, I am so sorry for your loss. I was in your shoes 11 years ago while full timing, and we were having the time of our lives. Take all the time you need to make decisions - it took me four years to decide to full time again. Nothing like grandchildren to help ease the time of sorrow!
Anita
2014 RAM 3500 4x4 Dually
2011 Lance 1050S TC
2015 Polaris Slingshot

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sorry for your loss. I was married for 35 years and my wife decided two years ago that she would be happier without me. It was our dream to go to Alaska when we retired and we purchased a fifth-wheel and truck to make the trip. It's tough to get motivated to travel when I'm all by myself, but it's either that or stay at home. I'm still planning on making the Alaska trip when I retire in three and a half years. This time it will be without my co-pilot, navigator, and photo journalist.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Ken,

A very emotional post, and I am glad to hear that you took out the RV again. I know it is not the same without her. If going to Florida is your thing, keep doing it - no need to just lock yourself in the house for the next 20 years, keep living it up! You already know how short life is, enjoy what you have left to the fullest!

And if that means staying at home with the grandkids over the holidays, and then moving south is important to you, or if going south, then spend the whole winter there is important, that is your choice, enjoy whatever you have decided to do!

Have a great time!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

SteveRuff
Explorer
Explorer
Beverly is not gone nor is she forgotten. She is right there with you and will remain with you as long as you need her. Remember the good times the two of you had and create some new memories you can tell her about later. Grieve, yes, but also honor her memory by letting her share in your joy as well.
Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
I walked in your shoes last year, exactly. The first all alone trip was terrible. I have now found joy but miss her terribly. I pray for you to find joy.

PM me if I can help with some words.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
My sympathies to you. Trying to imagine how you feel, and know it must be so difficult. I'm glad you have family who will keep you close, as you all together keep Beverley's memory close in your hearts.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss. My husband died suddenly on Labor Day. I was physically and financially unable to manage the TT/TV. I traded them for a small car.
I'm glad that my family is close by. I've been going to bereavement support meetings. It's been one day, sometimes one hour at a time. God Bless you.