cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat Towing Assumption

ThatDennis
Explorer
Explorer
Just because an RV dealership has been around 50 years don’t assume they know how to wire a vehicle for flat towing.
I just spent $550 to get my Chevrolet Colorado wired and they put a 4 prong female adapter on the front. They then made a “special” wire that has a male end and female on the other end. Guess what? That’s right the female end won’t connect with a female end. I made an appointment over a month ahead so they could get the right wiring harness. They spent over 8 hours splicing and Jerry rigging it together.
I dare not take it back to them because who knows what damage they could do?
So here’s a warning if your getting your vehicle wired stay away from anyplace that doesn’t have a reputation for doing this right.
6 REPLIES 6

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/products/dinghy-towing-harnesses/?p=all

Hopkins makes "Plug and Play" systems for most vehicles. I used one on my HHR and it works great.

56109 Fits some Canyons and Colorados. May have to contact them for correct harness for your vehicle.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, that's what I was proposing to see if anyone had knowledge that it wouldn't work.
Currently Between RVs

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
DougE wrote:
That was a total inept installation and amount of time. My Canyon has the factory trailer plug setup in the rear bumper (combo 7-way & 4-way). My first effort would be to run a standard 4-way trailer wire from the front to the rear and put trailer side connectors on both ends. Should work plugged into the tow vehicle trailer outlet and the Colorado trailer outlet? (I'll gladly admit my ignorence if this can't work with the Colorado wiring.)

Are you thinking of just connecting the trailer plug on the motorhome directly to the trailer plug on the Colorado? I don't think that would work unless you had a way to prevent backfeeding power into the Colorado's electrical system. I'm not 100% sure but I think you would fry something expensive if you just tried backfeeding through the trailer plug. If it were that easy everyone would do it.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
That was a total inept installation and amount of time. My Canyon has the factory trailer plug setup in the rear bumper (combo 7-way & 4-way). My first effort would be to run a standard 4-way trailer wire from the front to the rear and put trailer side connectors on both ends. Should work plugged into the tow vehicle trailer outlet and the Colorado trailer outlet? (I'll gladly admit my ignorence if this can't work with the Colorado wiring.)
Currently Between RVs

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Dunno who "they" are in your tale of woe and intrigue, but I am sorry you experienced this. Obviously not a "they" who know what they were doing.

May I suggest a Chevy dealer might be a better choice?

I successfully navigated a similar situation a few years ago when I bought a 2 year old BMW X5 to be our tow vehicle. I did my research, and found that BMW sold a hitch, wiring harness, and brake controller for that very vehicle. But the installation charges were high, and the costs of those harnesses and controller seemed excessive. My local RV guy said he could do it for about 1/3 the price. But his hitch installation price did not include the removal of the rear bumper and bumper cover necessary to attach the hitch to the studs BMW required the hitch to be attached to, so his estimate was bound to be low. And his wiring harness called for splicing in wires under the dash and to the light sockets in the back. The BMW has a socket already installed you only need plug into, but it's located in the right rear fender well.

I had mine done the right way, and it has been trouble free. I've spoken to others who went the cheap way, and they've had nothing but trouble. The car's computer freaks out, the lights don't work right, the brake controller doesn't, it all adds up.

So let me add to the OP's warning: modern vehicles don't always respond positively to "the way we've always done it." Do your research. Find someone to do the job right the first time. Even if it costs more up front, it is a LOT cheaper than doing it wrong the first time, and then having to pay for doing it right later, and that's not even counting the sheer hassle of dealing with a bad job the first time around.

BTW, mod notified this is in the wrong forum.