cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flies!

RV_wanderer
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes I get an influx of house flies in my 5er. I've often wondered over the years how these pests are getting in. All screens are in perfect shape. IMO, one way they can be entering is through exhaust vents for the fridge and heater.

I think another strong possibility may be the holes where the piston rods for the slide-outs enter the basement. Some years ago I believe mice were getting in this way until I plugged the holes with rags (had to remove rags when operating slides, of course). I'd hate to resort having to plug the holes with rags again but if that helps I'll do it.

One year it got so bad I hung fly paper at various places but hardly caught one fly. The only method that was effective was using the good old fashioned fly swatter.

What, if anything have you found effective in deterring flies (or any insect) from entering your RV?
"Not all who wander are lost"

2008 3500 RAM/Cummins
2007 NuWa FW, 29'
9 REPLIES 9

RV_wanderer
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the suggestions. I've seen those bags of water some of you mentioned near the doors of certain houses. They were sealed bags so I don't think there was any kind of bait in them. I guess the fly sees its reflection and is scared away (wild guess).

That was an informative tutorial on flies posted by Dog Folks. It was good to learn that the house fly's lifespan is only 6-10 days. They certainly don't deserve a longer life, those little buggers! :B

2008 3500 RAM/Cummins
2007 NuWa FW, 29'

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I have had flies about 3 times and it was because I had not emptied the trash for a while. There wasn't much in it and I could not smell anything bad, but apparently a fly did and laid eggs in it. Then for 2 days I had a scene from the Amityville Horror playing out. As they accumulated around the emergency window during the day I would shoo several out at a time. I make sure to empty the trash at least every couple days whether it needs it or not.

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
check everywhere for a dead mouse - we had one behind the couch - didn't smell at all, but was full of maggots - several generations of flies before we figured out where they were coming from ....
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I insist the garbage be taken out every EVENING. Flies seem to get up before me in the mornings. ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
The fly traps that look like a bag with water, and has bait in them work best for us.

The only way you could keep flies out 100% in to make the camper airtight and never open the door. I doubt they are coming in through the slide area.

The common house fly will not breed in household plants. The female needs the heat of decomposition to lay her eggs. Other types of flies will breed there; most common is the Crane Fly.

Here is some good information from the University Of Florida: Flies
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

RV_wanderer
Explorer
Explorer
pipers family wrote:
By any chance, do you have house plants? We kept having this problem and finally figured out they were breeding in these plants?? Hope you figure this out.

No house plants! Thanks for the info, though...

One other point. I have suspicion that the garbage container under the sink may be attracting them. I'm going to have to get in the habit of taking the trash out every morning even it the bag is only partially full. I guess it could be worse: bees instead of flies! :B

2008 3500 RAM/Cummins
2007 NuWa FW, 29'

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
down home
south

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/12 10:40pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2x on the fan. Also this works well on flies. A clear bag of water hanging near or over the table. Some say put a penny in it. Flies instinct tells them it's a Hornet's nest. They use or did use all over Fla fruit stands to keep flies at bay.

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
By any chance, do you have house plants? We kept having this problem and finally figured out they were breeding in these plants?? Hope you figure this out.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
I need to watch this one, i've been getting a lot of flies in the house this year.