cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida Camping

Vach
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are leaving soon for about a month trip from New Oleans east to the Florida Keys. We generally like to not make plans and reservations, finding first come first serve camping at county, state or national parks. Donโ€™t need full hookups. We are pretty well self contained with our small trailer. I know thatโ€™s not for everyone, but weโ€™ve done this for years and enjoy not being tied down to a schedule. Typically we plan ahead for weekends and holidays, but mostly just wing it.

We have not tried this in this area however, and we are curious if others have tried this and how well it works. How easy is it to find good campsites without reservations?

Thanks.
Lance 1475 Travel Trailer
2019 Toyota Tacoma
13 REPLIES 13

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:
I stop at the McDonalds (which is inside the Walmart). They share the same parking lot, which I use for parking AND overnighting. No worries.

Not exactly the Florida Keys, but close lol.

My point being, do the the keys in your younger years when you can better afford it. We did a whole lot more back when we had 2 fairly good incomes, and also were in good health. And now, I watch every 10 dollar bill. Staying alive is costly, therefore we gotta stay on budget. Still, the Dutch Star pulling the Envoy is the best way to travel. Overnighting at Walmart, and staying on private property at our destination, helps a lot.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
The Keys is heavily policed as far as parking somewhere overnight.
They even enforce hitchhiking laws to try and keep riff raff out.
The biggest problem with this time of year is Spring Breakers keep parks full and if you find a spot you might not enjoy it.
I have been to the Keys and Panama City during S B and it was a ZOO!

Vach
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments. Think we may wait Florida til next year and plan ahead to see if we can get some spots we want reserved ahead. Looks like Florida is not like the SW where we have spent many winters traveling pretty much anywhere we want without reservations. Thanks again.
Lance 1475 Travel Trailer
2019 Toyota Tacoma

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
In the past I have found that in Keys your best bet is to call campgrounds a week or so ahead and find one that has an availability and reserve. You will need to be flexible on your dates. On your way down overnight stops can usually be done on a wing it basis. Everglades National Park generally has first come first served dry camping availability.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We just left our Florida roost heading to Texas. Up on I-10 east of Tally near Madison we are in the Ragan's family RV resort (formerly a Jellystone). Not even half full. Lots of sites, especially for smaller rigs and then a group of pull-throughs for overnighters where we are. Passport America as well for $31.50 a night. Whoo hoo! I know it's not the keys, but you gotta take a break and sleep on the way down.

Years ago, we made our way through Florida taking a day here, a day there. Some state parks, some private. Always found a spot. . . nothing long term, but we didn't want that.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
This website is going to be your new best friend. It informs you of vacancies at the Florida State Parks for the upcoming weekend. These openings are from cancellations.

As many have noted, the Keys are going to be difficult.

As for the rest of Florida - you'll find stuff. I met a couple last April who had been in Florida for 4 months bopping around from one temporary location to another. It can be done, and if you have the temperament for it, you'll have a blast.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get it. The OP mentioned spending some time in the Florida Keys. I took that as in for a long weekend/few days/a week? "first come first serve camping at county, state or national parks." per the OP. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the OP wants to camp in Walmarts of which there are none out on the Keys (are there?), or other shopping centers, but to me that sure does not sound like an enjoyable Florida Keys vacation.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Don't want to be the wet blanket, but it is highly unlikely that you will just happen to find a spot at any Florida state park campground this time of year. While they take walk-ups, most if not all, do not reserve any walk-up sites. You have to reserve through Reserve America to ensure a spot. If you don't have a spot reserved, you will want to have a solid plan B because you are likely going to need it. Of course, I'm exactly the opposite. I want to know I have a spot and I don't even really like the places where you don't reserve your specific site.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
There are many 24-hour grocery stores and even some that aren't, that qill allow you to park if you are discreet
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Not to put a damper on it, but unless you get lucky it will be a chore. As mentioned, things ease up come April, but starting Feb 1st most everything will be booked. We do pick up days at County and State parks every year as we travel through Florida, but Monroe County (the Keys) does not permit camping in their County Parks, and the four State Parks fill up a year in advance. The only place I can think of might be the Kmart parking lot in Marathon. It is a beautiful trip but you may want to book a day or two near Key West if you can so you don't drive all 120 miles down and have to turn around and drive back.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
I stop at the McDonalds (which is inside the Walmart). They share the same parking lot, which I use for parking AND overnighting. No worries.

Not exactly the Florida Keys, but close lol.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
In our experience you will only find a few days here and there via cancellations until the end of March, then it becomes easier.

If you are good on the computer and check often you will likely find sites. May not be ideal and require moving.