cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For Pow-Wows, Rendevous and Docents

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Met a couple last week who RV to various re-enactor events such as battles, etc. They pack up their historic gear into a small enclosed trailer hitched to their motorhome and take to the road. It's their way of educating a new generation about historic lifestyles and famous battles, etc. as well as RVing with a different purpose

I was given very cool links to sources for re-enactor and pow-wow items. I know I spent several hours going through them when I should have been washing the mh. Here they are

http://www.crazycrow.com/rendezvous-clothing-and-accessories

http://www.crazycrow.com/powwow-dance-clothes-and-accessories

Warning: This next one has a bucket full of instructional youtube vids. If you're in to the historic, you might find this addictive.
http://jas-townsend.com/
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
9 REPLIES 9

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
Have been to many "first Nation" Pow wows. IMHO - the best have been "The gathering of nations" in Albuquerque NM - every April and (not exactly a POW WOW but) the annual Hoop Dance contest at the Heard Museum in Phoenix AZ, held every first weekend of March. These are pretty big events and we do always enjoy the smaller local events wherever we happen to be in our travels.
John

PGR_Skye
Explorer
Explorer
Do it!
Darrell & Madonna
Furkid, GSD Sigfried
2001 Patriot Thunder by Beaver
Jeep Grand Cherokee

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
We've been doing Civil War reenacting for the last 12 years...that means 12 years of tent camping, cooking over a fire, no AC. End of this month (June) we have the 150th Gettysburg; it will be hot and unpleasant...we've been discussing taking the mh...we'd have to leave it in the parking area (no modern vehicles in the camps), but we aren't sure how far away parking will be from our group's campsite...and the organizers have banned camping (modern) in the parking area...I can see why, but having that mh nearby...

PGR_Skye
Explorer
Explorer
I am a traditional woman dancer and use to take our old travel trailer to Pow Wows. So nice to have a comfortable place to change clothes, relax in, shower in and a good bed just a short distance from the Circle. Haven't been to one in a couple of years, since my brother passed, so haven't taken the motorhome yet. Hopefully soon.
Darrell & Madonna
Furkid, GSD Sigfried
2001 Patriot Thunder by Beaver
Jeep Grand Cherokee

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I did Civil War re enacting for years back in the 90's and we'd throw out gear in someone's van and drive to the event, fight the battle then load up and drive home. Next month or so same thing all over again. It's a lot of fun if you're young and into that period of history. There is a danger of frost-bite though so you need a good blanket and thick socks! :W

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
fireman93514 wrote:
I had a friend who did mountain man reinacting. He and a few others would take a flatboat every year and float down the river. They would stop at all the towns so schools could come down and children could see what being a mountain man was about. He had DW and I talked into creating a persona of a pioneer family to talk about our trip across the prairie but the job took me away before we could do it.

Cool:C
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
I had a friend who did mountain man reinacting. He and a few others would take a flatboat every year and float down the river. They would stop at all the towns so schools could come down and children could see what being a mountain man was about. He had DW and I talked into creating a persona of a pioneer family to talk about our trip across the prairie but the job took me away before we could do it.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good times, Al! I know people who go to events like these and they've traveled all over and had a great time of it.

Magnus

albeolds
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a small walk behind tractor (1948) that I showed at antique tractor events. Having retired to an apartment, I sold out but discovered I missed attending the shows so I developed a collection of old glass insulators and located all the old family tools. In my old 1986 little class c I attend several weekend events as an exhibitor. Get to talk to people, camp free(no services), eat too much and generally have a good time in reasonable comfort. Most places let you park and set up the display under your awning so all your rv conveniences are handy.
Al