cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those of you that have kids or have already raised kids

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have any specific RV trips you'd like to make before the kids leave for college? Rather like a bucket list for raising kids?

What's your top "Must See" destinations for your kids?

My list includes:
Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Everglades and the one city I'd like to get to is DC. There are many more, but these are at the top of the list.

Other must see trips that we've completed include: Statue of Liberty, NYC, Atlantic ocean, Liberty Bell, Smokies, Disney, Niagara Falls, Great Lakes, Mammoth Cave.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog
69 REPLIES 69

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
My late wife didn’t like tent camping. She really tried I’ll give her that, but it just wasn’t her thing. But she wisely encouraged me to take our two kids on “adventures” typically weekend but sometimes week long trips that involved tubing rivers, hiking, fishing, canoeing and tent camping. However, the trip they still talk about today was a 1988 meandering 10 day road trip through the Rockies, all the ways up to Red Lodge MT. I’m a professional geologist and much of the trip went to places I’d visited while in college during summer field studies. After 10 days on the road I can still hear my kids plaintive cries as I slowed down to stop at yet another mountain road-cut to discuss geology “Ohhhh nooo, not another road cut!!!” Here it is thirty years later, when we get together on holidays, my adult kids still talk about those adventures I took them on.

On the 10 day road trip we visited:

Capulin Volcano National Monument, NM
Great Sand Dunes NP, CO
Mesa Verde NP, CO
Black Canyon of the Gunnison, CO
Dinosaur National Monument, UT
Flaming Gorge, WY
Grand Teton NP, WY (on the spur of the moment I took the kids on a helicopter ride)
Yellowstone NP, WY (where we enjoyed a buffalo chip campfire)
Route 212 from Yellowstone to Red Lodge MT (a beautiful alpine drive)
Red Lodge, MT (home of my summer field camp)
Thermopolis, WY (where we enjoyed a dip in their huge hot springs swimming pool)
Rocky Mountain NP, CO
Pikes Peak, CO (a looong drive to the 14,114’ summit)

I was a really mean dad, no head phones, video games or TV were allowed on our adventures. We had simple meals (so we wouldn’t get bogged down with elaborate food preparation and cleanup) and we exclusively tent camped in National Forests and State and National Parks.

Steve

BTW, when I returned to work and showed my boss (another geologist) the photos from my trip, he borrowed my trip map and did literally the entire trip I took with his own two kids.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
We try to give the kids as much variety as possible. So far, this includes: Back-country kayaking, backpacking, ocean beach camping, lake beach camping, mountain camping, deep woods camping, flat land camping, large campgrounds, small campgrounds, dispersed sites. We go a different direction every year (following compass points) so that they have experiences from Northern Ontario down to the Gulf of Mexico. The only thing we can't do is go to the West Coast - limited vacation time prevents us from going much further west than SD.

Doing this, and having three kids, we've found they have different preferences. While they all enjoy all of it, kid 2 particularly takes to the back-country stuff, while kid 3 takes to the larger campgrounds with other kids more, etc...
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

tll
Explorer
Explorer
When I was growing up, my folks purchased a cabin and we spent every summer there. I loved going there, was never bored, but always envied the stories my friends told me about their summer vacations to a variety of places. When my daughter was born we owned a pop up camper, and had become accustomed to visiting a variety of state and federal area campgrounds. We never had hookups, and had a great time figuring out how to get things done with little to work with. Our first trip camping with my daughter was when she was 1 month old. We headed to northern MN in May. The first night the temps dipped into the 20's and we ran out of propane. My wife was beside herself thinking that our 1 month old daughter was going to freeze to death. Of course all turned out ok, and 14 years later we have a great story to tell. Until 2 years ago weekend trips to state parks were the norm. We all had a great time semi rustic camping as we moved to a hybrid camper and then to a 32' travel trailer. At the time we purchased the travel trailer we decided my daughter was old enough (13) that we should see some of the country before she stopped camping with us. The past two summers we have visited Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Glacier NP, then Denver and Durango CO, Moab UT including Red Rock State Park and the Arches, and the Grand Canyon. If visiting there do hike a ways below the rim. This summer we are heading east. We have found that more challenging as is takes one day longer to get there and then back from WI. That turns two vacation days into travel days. When you have a max limit of days this cuts into what you can do. We wanted to go to Maine and Massachusetts. We found that we can only do one. Our trip this year will include one day in Sault St Marie MI, two days in Niagara Falls NY, 5 days in MA, and one day in Chicago on the way home. About 3000 miles in 15 days.
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
PUCampin wrote:
we will never be able to take our kids everywhere I have been, but I hope to get them to some of them, most likely will be this side of the country.

Nothing wrong with that. Not sure where you're from, but there is so much to do within a day or two drive of any given area that it'll keep you busy for years. Just trying to stay at the state parks in my state will keep me busy for many many years!
I agree with the poster that said when there's a will, there's a way, but how do ordinary people get their kids to Alaska or Hawaii, or even across the county with driving? 5 days one way? You'd need to have a month off! Unless you teach, that's not going to happen. A plane ticket is $500 from Michigan to California. It would cost us $2500 to fly my family there. I'll never want to go there bad enough to make the sacrifices necessary to make that work. Not in the cards for us. I think we can get 1600 miles away, and that'll max us out. 6 days of travel in two weeks is the best it'll get. But there's a ton to do between here and 1600 miles away.
2018 Ford F150 FX4

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Amen! Our friends seem envious of our trips, but aren't willing to make the sacrifices.

Yep. People say to me all the time that they can't afford to vacation or travel like we do.
Well it all boils down to priorities. I will never own granite counter tops in my kitchen and my "new" truck has 130K miles on it. I divert a lot of my funds into travel expenses.
Not sure how I'll ever get my kids to the Pacific, but that's not a huge priority anyway. There's a lot to do locally that we still haven't done yet.

My friend used to travel over the country while she was growing up. Her parents were teachers with the summer off and they would drive the car and tent camp. That's economical for sure, but I'd prefer the camper. 😉
2018 Ford F150 FX4

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Amen! Our friends seem envious of our trips, but aren't willing to make the sacrifices.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
PUCampin wrote:
I get a little sad when I think about it. My parents managed to take my brother and I on A LOT of major vacations, driving cross country in our 72VW Westfalia.

I make a good living, but with the incredible cost of living where I do, the economic downturn, and cost of towing a trailer, we will never be able to take our kids everywhere I have been.......

Don't you think your parents had economical difficulties back in their time, too? Yet, they managed vacations.

I know my parents were far from having extra money but they scrimped and saved and gave us things that we took for granted. If they didn't have money to buy something they didn't buy it until they could save the money.

I think a lot of folks nowadays have priorities screwed up. They think they need all the latest electronics, big homes, expensive cars and think nothing of running up their credit cards. Instead of giving the kids a new phone, put aside the money toward a vacation and leave all electronics at home. Enjoy the time together without interruptions.

Just my thoughts......
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
If you say you can you will, if you say you can't you won't. Set the goals, then plan, then take massive action. Life waits for no man.

Believe in yourself and YOU CAN do it!

Happy Travels.

PS: I don't say any of this light heartedly, we had business we nearly lost due to economic situations, we've both held down 3 jobs at times in our early years, and we've had our youngest swing her legs in my office once at 4 years of age saying "I hate your job mummy you have no time for me". Trust me anything the mind can conceive we can do if we really want to that badly.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
I get a little sad when I think about it. My parents managed to take my brother and I on A LOT of major vacations, driving cross country in our 72VW Westfalia. Most major sites, you name it, I have been there. Alaska, DC, NY, Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Mammoth Caves, Worlds Fair in British Columbia 1986, the list goes on. My brother and I thought nothing of spending an entire day at a museum. The older I get, the more I realize how fortunate I am to have seen (and remember most) of these places. I make a good living, but with the incredible cost of living where I do, the economic downturn, and cost of towing a trailer, we will never be able to take our kids everywhere I have been, but I hope to get them to some of them, most likely will be this side of the country.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
michigansandzilla wrote:

That's awesome!
When I write it down, my kids have experienced so much, but there's so much more I want them to see. Also, I haven't seen any of these things we're doing and I'd like to experience it all with my kids. They're my family and at some point they'll move on and have their own family or be too busy to hang with us. I want these experiences with them.

If you don't do it now you can't do it later. There is no later with kids. Time is not something you can save, it's only something you can spend. If you don't spend it while they're with you you can't spend it later. There's a very short window of time and then they're off on their own and raising their own families. Time is then gone forever.

Ok. Now I feel panicked! My oldest is 13. The clock is ticking.
2018 Ford F150 FX4

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When Darling Daughter was still traveling with us we tried historic/important destinations. This includes Niagra falls and NYC.. Cape cod (Marcoini Point and a Wale Watch) and Gettysburg.. Also Amusement parks (king's Island and Ceader Point) Assorted other places less known but equally important/vital educational.

We just forgot to tell her about the educational part till after she had learned :).

Came time to study the Civil war in school (NOTE Can a war be civil?) and well. She was able to say "Been there, Seen those guns" which gave her a bit of an advantage. Ended up leaving the tape (Self Tour cassette) with my Sister (Who lives on Cape Cod) so she could give her kids the same tour a bit later.

Way easier learning American history in the places it happened.

Oh yes, she's seen the Liberty bell and the hall it originally resided in as well.

Another trip I would recommend is not Detroit, but next door, Dearborn, MI.. Park at what used to be the Greenfield KOA but visit The Edison Institute (Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum) This is the kind of place where you can easily spend a week or two and not see all there is to see.... IN the Village is a former Doctor's office, also former one-room school (Same building) the Docent will tell you about the doctor who, like Sir Arthur's mentor, often diagnosed patients as they came up the walk. She will also explain the half brick, half wood walls and why the one-room schools were built that way... That office... Sat on the road I travelled every day on my way to school for many many years... It's part of MY personal history (It was padlocked and till the Edison Institute folks knocked on the farm owner's door they never even knew what it was). My daughter got to see that too.

She also got to ride steam trains, Main line Steam trains, alas those no longer exist,, Just a couple of excurision trains like the Grand Canyon line.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
michigansandzilla wrote:

That's awesome!
When I write it down, my kids have experienced so much, but there's so much more I want them to see. Also, I haven't seen any of these things we're doing and I'd like to experience it all with my kids. They're my family and at some point they'll move on and have their own family or be too busy to hang with us. I want these experiences with them.

If you don't do it now you can't do it later. There is no later with kids. Time is not something you can save, it's only something you can spend. If you don't spend it while they're with you you can't spend it later. There's a very short window of time and then they're off on their own and raising their own families. Time is then gone forever.
Camped in every state

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
Took my kids to every state but Alaska and into Canada and Mexico. Most states more than once. I wanted them to see a bit of the country before they left for college and started their own lives.
They just assumed every family did the same. They learned a lot when traveling. It helped them in school when certain places and events were discussed. Whatever the situation it wasn't just an obscure location on the pages of a book. They had been there and seen it. A lot of families, if they took vacations, usually went to the same place every year, saw the same things and did the same things. My kids really didn't appreciate the benefit of their travels but now that they're older and have their own families they realize they had opportunities most kids didn't.

That's awesome!
2018 Ford F150 FX4

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Took my kids to every state but Alaska and into Canada and Mexico. Most states more than once. I wanted them to see a bit of the country before they left for college and started their own lives.
They just assumed every family did the same. They learned a lot when traveling. It helped them in school when certain places and events were discussed. Whatever the situation it wasn't just an obscure location on the pages of a book. They had been there and seen it. A lot of families, if they took vacations, usually went to the same place every year, saw the same things and did the same things. My kids really didn't appreciate the benefit of their travels but now that they're older and have their own families they realize they had opportunities most kids didn't.
Camped in every state