cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forced out of your reservation

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a interesting video from a Youtuber I'm sure many of us have followed before. I know I was getting angrier as the video went on. I have to give him credit for handling it better than I would have.

Dan

Video
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
33 REPLIES 33

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
The subject at hand being the spot being reserved, not how he makes his living or makes vids, I'd be looking for some compensation in some way. Like a free stay at a future date. Failing that satisfaction, I'd be temped to drive there bright and early and set up my camper before the rest get there, with my confirmation in hand. Thats a poor way to treat customers who have reserved a site. Lock in fee? Maybe for a specific site instead of a site they designate, but my confirmed reservation and accepted fee ARE my lock in to stay there one way or another. I'm thinking Id set up right next to their main office and see if that suits them.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I stopped after a minute. I hate these types of videos of driving and talking.

I hate them too, I'm glad you gave that info. I won't bother watching the video.

Me three---- what does driving around town have to do with the issue ?
If he doesn't name the cg, as far as I'm concerend, it didn't happen . How does this video help anyone ?
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

chops1sc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope! Did not read the comments. Only watched the video. I do not expect an answer to this but why did he not include that in his video?

He will likely give an updated video with the new information. I have been a subscriber to his channel for a long time and he does well with following up about stuff.

I feel like he handled it well considering the trip was never made. If he had loaded up and pulled to the CG only to find he had no spot I believe his reaction would have been different.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Dutch_12078 wrote:
AllegroD wrote:
I do not understand his reaction. Maybe something is missing. If someone treated us that way, I would be getting in touch with the owner or manager. If the owner/manager could not satisfy us, I would be posting the name of the CG and maybe contacting the state AG. Slighting one person, who has a reservation, in favor of another person, whether in a group or not, is wrong. We all know that. It might even be illegal in some states. Once you make a deal with someone, you keep it. There obligatory laws about this. On top of that, you do not treat people this way.

If you read the comments under the video, he did contact the owner after the fact and was offered a free week's stay. The owner also acknowledged that the fairly new employee had handled the situation incorrectly. I'm not sure what more the park owner could have done at that point.

Nope! Did not read the comments. Only watched the video. I do not expect an answer to this but why did he not include that in his video?

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well allrighty then!!!

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
AllegroD wrote:
I do not understand his reaction. Maybe something is missing. If someone treated us that way, I would be getting in touch with the owner or manager. If the owner/manager could not satisfy us, I would be posting the name of the CG and maybe contacting the state AG. Slighting one person, who has a reservation, in favor of another person, whether in a group or not, is wrong. We all know that. It might even be illegal in some states. Once you make a deal with someone, you keep it. There obligatory laws about this. On top of that, you do not treat people this way.

If you read the comments under the video, he did contact the owner after the fact and was offered a free week's stay. The owner also acknowledged that the fairly new employee had handled the situation incorrectly. I'm not sure what more the park owner could have done at that point.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
There is often much more to a story than first appears. The park could have had several sites suddenly go out of service for any number of reasons. There could have been a flood, a collapse of a sewer line, a power failure etc. There could be a guest with a rig that had a mechanical failure and cannot leave as scheduled. Stuff happens.
Then there could have been a guest that flat refused to move. If the was the case, the options aren't exactly as clear cut as some people claim. Contrary to popular opinion, and perhaps common sense, the park cannot legally just call a tow truck and have them hauled out. A savvy squatter will know the law and the loopholes. They can claim a medical issue and the park (or hotel, where this is more common) cannot legally have them removed. As I have posted before, con men, grifters and thieves know the laws that apply to their activities better than lawyers. They know their way around loopholes and unlike decent humans they aren't afraid to exploit those loopholes for their advantage. It happens more than you know.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
AllegroD wrote:

In times past, make a deal keep it was though to be the only accepted practice. It was thought that a man's word was good, or he would be shunned. But now, for about half the population even a oath to do something has no meaning.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:

It's easy to understand his reaction. He has bigger fish to fry. Stamping one's feet and screaming does nothing. A warning on RV Park Reviews or elsewhere is in order as a "head's up" but contacting the AG is a bit over the top. Bad business practice, definitely, but criminal behavior probably not.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
kfp673 wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
We have new owners at one of our favorite parks here in PA. After you reserve your site for $67 a night they offer to "lock in your site" for another $10. Total BS.

I am noticing this trend as well. Ironically, I have not come across it in PA yet, but a few southern vacations we have taken allow you to book a site and the warning tells you if you dont pay the $10-20 to "lock in" the site they reserve the right to move you to another site within the same site type. The more "resorty" type RV parks seem to be grabbing this as a new way to create income over and above their hotel rates for a camp site.

I occasionally have run into the "lock in your site deal", but that has always been for a particular site, not just a spot.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
kfp673 wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
We have new owners at one of our favorite parks here in PA. After you reserve your site for $67 a night they offer to "lock in your site" for another $10. Total BS.

I am noticing this trend as well. Ironically, I have not come across it in PA yet, but a few southern vacations we have taken allow you to book a site and the warning tells you if you dont pay the $10-20 to "lock in" the site they reserve the right to move you to another site within the same site type. The more "resorty" type RV parks seem to be grabbing this as a new way to create income over and above their hotel rates for a camp site.

Castaways in OC. MD has a lock in fee option.
While I due like certain sites I refuse to pay a lock in fee.
If the CG gives me a like spot I'm OK.
For the most part I've come to realize the site does not determine the camping experience. Sure a perfect 10 site is great. But I can have a good time with a lesser site just the same. I don't mind paying a premium for a nice CG or site. But I refused to pay a fee to lock in the premium site I already paid for!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
So... if you were with a group of RV'rs and wanted to make a group reservation at a campground with you all together, would it bother you if other campers had their reservations moved or canceled / refunded?

Everyone is dumping on the campground owner, but what about the RV group? I think the reservation fiasco was only in the space of a few weeks - the RV group didn't reserve a bunch of spots months in advance. What campground will have a group of spots all next to each available on short notice? You pretty much know they will be moving / cancelling another camper with short notice.

There is more information under that video, including that the campground owner contacted the YouTuber and wanted to do something for the camper. I assume the campground owner still didn't know the guy is a YouTuber, as he mentions several times that he didn't tell anyone.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
The sad part is that these so called YouTubers are making money off of their babbling. Very few have content worth watching.

If there is an audience then there is nothing wrong with making money off YouTube. If you want to compare what is on TV and what they get paid, YouTubers deserve everything they make for the time and effort it takes to make and edit videos. Some small channels put a lot of time in and make little for their effort while other larger channels do well. I find YouTube more entertaining than the junk on Tv.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel