striper1851
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone flat towed a Ford Edge?
10 REPLIES 10

06allegrobay
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2013 Lincoln MKX with keyless ignition similar to the Ford Edge. When using a tow dolly on the Edge I used the seat belt to anchor the steering wheel and broke the lower spoke on the steering wheel - what other ways are there to anchor the steering wheel when using a tow dolly??

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I think what they are talking about is the Ford Edge with the push button ignition. I have the same issue with my 2013 Edge as bocanut50. After connecting the car to the coach and with the engine running, I put the gear shift into neutral, and then push the ignition button to shut off the engine. I get a dash message reading the the transmission is in neutral, but it goes off after a few minutes. I have towed the Edge on two 600 mile trips and a few shorter ones with no problems. The question is whether the ignition button should be off for towing or on accessory.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
After shifting into park, turn the key one more time to off. This will turn off all dash lights and accessories.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2013 Taurus and can tell you why you need to put the key in "ACC" position.

You need to turn the key in order to unlock your gear stick. With the ignition in the off position you can't shift out of park.
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

bocanut50
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Edge and the book says put the key Acc. position, but the dash lights up. What does putting the key in Acc. do? There is no steering wheel lock! We just got the car set up and have not towed it yet because we got snowed in and the season was running out. This was after burning up 2, 2011 Escape trans!!!
Bill Stiles
2003 Discovery 38T
2013 Ford Edge SEL

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I also tow a 2007 Ford Edge. I installed the towing hitch myself, and it was fairly easy, Roadmaster brand.

I also installed my own braking system, a used cruise control motor taken off a junkyard Nissan, along with a couple of vacuume fittings, and check valves. Then I ran a vacuum line from the RV engine to run the power brakes and cruise control motor. When the 12 volts of the RV brakes come on, I energized a vacuum relay, that applied vacuum to the cruise control motor, pulling the cable and chain that was attached to the car brake pedal. It slows the car nicely, and worked well. Cost was nearly $35.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

mrhibs
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 tows fine

rmmpe
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a 2007 Edge over 25k miles with no issues. Put it in neutral, turn the key all the way back & go. Still driving it today with 97k miles showing.
Bob (Squidly Down Under) & Peg
"In God we trust"
2013 Ford Focus pushing a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2552S
Carry on, regardless...............

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
We tow an '08 Edge. Easy to set up and easy to tow. No fuses to pull. Just put in neutral go.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Mine tows fine ... put it in neutral, release the steering lock and go. Mine is AWD, but the FWD's don't have tow restrictions either.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292