cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Focus problems?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We've towed a 2017 Focus automatic, keyless start for about a year. Love the car's handling, performance, etc. but wish I had gone with the Toyota Fit manual. The problem is that the Focus inconsistently won't start and sometimes even the ignition won't go on. Also we have a negative battery shut off switch(specifically recommended by Ford).
Talking to 2 Ford dealer service technicians it seems it may be a weak battery, the battery shut-off switch or some sort of module not getting proper current; the same thing related to Focus's well known transmission problems. Sometimes it seems turning the battery switch off and back on works but not always. Right now it's at Ford because it happened during my visit to them.
Any of you experience these issues or have an opinion.
Jayco-noslide
2 REPLIES 2

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a 2014 Focus and all is well. Do have a battery disconnect switch. The computer seems to have no problem coming back after towing. Transmission is good now but did have hesitation when accelerating (regular driving) so had a clutch assembly replacement (warranty) Makes a great tow car for us!
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Focus that I tow and did have a similar problem. Every now and then I would go to start and nothing. Would turn the disconnect switch and it would start. Re checked my connections and tightened them all up and problem solved.

Just before last service it tossed a CEL light. Had my dealer check it out when service. They found code, long forgotten, and said it was a generic code for unspecified (electrical?) issue. Said there was a voltage drop across my disconnect switch. As he went on he asked "Why do you have a disconnect switch? I told him it was because Ford requires it to flat tow. His reply made NO sense or logic. "Well, wait about two hours before disconnecting it. It is because the computer takes about two hours to shut its self down." I told them to show me that part in the manual or a service memo. I"m still waiting. Plus he couldn't say how much voltage drop was across the switch.

I have the well known transmission problem that comes and goes, with the clutch pack and software up date. Again it is getting to the point of bugging me, getting close to bitching about it again.

I never have changed or re-did the switch

The service writer is new but has about 10 years Ford experience.

It may have well been my last visit to the dealer and I have been using them since 2001. Plus he did some other stupid stuff that I figured out later.

I thought about contacting the service manager but I figure this guy will be down the road soon enough.