cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forest River NHTSA investigation

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Just a heads up to owners of Forest River products that the company is the subject of what looks like a pretty major investigation begun just this week. Looks like all models built since 2009 are affected.

Here quoting
NHTSA wrote:

Date Investigation Opened: SEP 30, 2014
Date Investigation Closed: Open
NHTSA Action Number: AQ14002
Component(s): UNKNOWN OR OTHER

A review of NHTSA's early warning reports (EWR) database shows that Forest River has not provided NHTSA with any information regarding claims related to deaths and injuries involving the company's vehicles or any information regarding property damage claims, warranty claims, consumer complaints and field reports as required by regulation. It also appears from a search of NHTSA's databases that Forest River may have failed to submit to NHTSA quarterly reports on the company's progress completing safety recalls. Forest River may have also failed to comply with other recall-related requirements, including by failing to include required language in its recall notices to dealers and by failing to submit other recall-related communications to NHTSA. NHTSA is also investigating other potential violations of the Safety Act.

Source/list of models/more info at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/RecentInvestigations
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien
28 REPLIES 28

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Carrier wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Not brand bashing as I have been finding out that they are all pretty much built the same way. I said it has me concerned "not worrying too much" and yes I am concerned about getting warranty work done.
So if you know what the facts are instead of the "half truths and what ifs" are then by all means post them up so we can all know.

Re read what I posted;
"You would be better served by first finding out the facts instead of half truths and all the "what ifs" that gets posted on these look what I found type threads."

The facts weren't presented in the OP post. Get it !!

Well I don't know how many more times I can read it and come up with anything different. Get it!!

Yep, I got it from the git/go. ๐Ÿ™‚
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Carrier
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Not brand bashing as I have been finding out that they are all pretty much built the same way. I said it has me concerned "not worrying too much" and yes I am concerned about getting warranty work done.
So if you know what the facts are instead of the "half truths and what ifs" are then by all means post them up so we can all know.

Re read what I posted;
"You would be better served by first finding out the facts instead of half truths and all the "what ifs" that gets posted on these look what I found type threads."

Well I don't know how many more times I can read it and come up with anything different. Get it!!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
I didn't see any information as to what the problem was/is.

It's in the quoted paragraph: NHTSA hasn't received any of the required reporting on the named models, evidently since 2009.

Of course, that may just mean that over that five years not a single Forest River product had any defect whatever. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I get that, but what was the safety problem? Does this apply to Motorhomes, Trailers, or what? FR puts out a lot of different products.

NHTSA should be looking into 5th wheel frames (pin boxes), faulty brakes and poor tires!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
My comment didn't imply that you didn't present the facts but rather all the particulars of those reports weren't given in the short paragraph from NHTSA website.

All the particulars of WHAT "reports"???

That's really the whole point- despite being required by law to do so Forest River hasn't filed the described reports. For five years. As is stated in the part of the NHTSA announcement I quoted.
I thought consumers of the product might be interested in that fact, so I posted it.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My comment didn't imply that you didn't present the facts but rather all the particulars of those reports weren't given in the short paragraph from NHTSA website. All the facts so far say NHTSA is investigating which may or may not concern a FR customer.

After NHTSA investigates and issues their report then maybe we all may know all the particulars/facts.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

:h

O.P. here, opening post quoted below. It reports that there's an investigation going on, quotes salient paragraph from that investigation, and gives a direct link to the official source.

I don't see how much more "factual" I could have made it but would be happy to take suggestions.

Francesca Knowles wrote:
Just a heads up to owners of Forest River products that the company is the subject of what looks like a pretty major investigation begun just this week. Looks like all models built since 2009 are affected.

Here quoting
NHTSA wrote:

Date Investigation Opened: SEP 30, 2014
Date Investigation Closed: Open
NHTSA Action Number: AQ14002
Component(s): UNKNOWN OR OTHER

A review of NHTSA's early warning reports (EWR) database shows that Forest River has not provided NHTSA with any information regarding claims related to deaths and injuries involving the company's vehicles or any information regarding property damage claims, warranty claims, consumer complaints and field reports as required by regulation. It also appears from a search of NHTSA's databases that Forest River may have failed to submit to NHTSA quarterly reports on the company's progress completing safety recalls. Forest River may have also failed to comply with other recall-related requirements, including by failing to include required language in its recall notices to dealers and by failing to submit other recall-related communications to NHTSA. NHTSA is also investigating other potential violations of the Safety Act.

Source/list of models/more info at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/RecentInvestigations

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Re read what I posted;

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Carrier wrote:
Well as a first time buyer of a rv it has me concerned. I didn't know just how bad these things are built. Looks real nice till you start looking under the lipstick. Will be getting some warranty work looked at next month and am concerned about it being looked after. Of all the various equipment,trucks,cars ,houses or whatever I have bought new this is the first time I am having doubts about warranty and quality.

your worrying way too much. You would be better served by first finding out the facts instead of half truths and all the "what ifs" that gets posted on these look what I found type threads.

One problem we have is brand bashing and especially the brand bashers that have never owned the product.

FR was probably "caught-up" in a wiretap by a very "stealthy" undercover member of the WP based right here on RV Net!!

Probably be featured on 20/20 or 60 Minutes in a month or two..;)

~

Carrier
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Carrier wrote:
Well as a first time buyer of a rv it has me concerned. I didn't know just how bad these things are built. Looks real nice till you start looking under the lipstick. Will be getting some warranty work looked at next month and am concerned about it being looked after. Of all the various equipment,trucks,cars ,houses or whatever I have bought new this is the first time I am having doubts about warranty and quality.

your worrying way too much. You would be better served by first finding out the facts instead of half truths and all the "what ifs" that gets posted on these look what I found type threads.

One problem we have is brand bashing and especially the brand bashers that have never owned the product.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Carrier wrote:

Carrier
Explorer
Explorer

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe we will finally get to the bottom of this frame cracking issue.

bahahahahahahahahahahaha
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Fredzo
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is with the keypad on the Frigidaire Convection/Microwave oven.

It can start by itself, and if there's anything in the oven,a possible fire.
2005 Georgetown 342DS XL
1989 Wrangler Sahara Toad
2005 Liberty Renegade Toad
Blue Ox Tow Bar, Brake Buddy
Retired on Jan 1, 2010!!!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
Oh lord......... here we go with the FR bashers.

Just plugged in the popcorn popper and taking orders on bilge flavor to spray on the corn.

Did my post help ? lol