cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forest River NHTSA investigation

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Just a heads up to owners of Forest River products that the company is the subject of what looks like a pretty major investigation begun just this week. Looks like all models built since 2009 are affected.

Here quoting
NHTSA wrote:

Date Investigation Opened: SEP 30, 2014
Date Investigation Closed: Open
NHTSA Action Number: AQ14002
Component(s): UNKNOWN OR OTHER

A review of NHTSA's early warning reports (EWR) database shows that Forest River has not provided NHTSA with any information regarding claims related to deaths and injuries involving the company's vehicles or any information regarding property damage claims, warranty claims, consumer complaints and field reports as required by regulation. It also appears from a search of NHTSA's databases that Forest River may have failed to submit to NHTSA quarterly reports on the company's progress completing safety recalls. Forest River may have also failed to comply with other recall-related requirements, including by failing to include required language in its recall notices to dealers and by failing to submit other recall-related communications to NHTSA. NHTSA is also investigating other potential violations of the Safety Act.

Source/list of models/more info at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/RecentInvestigations
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien
28 REPLIES 28

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blah , blah , blah, I really don't care.

That's like those GM ignition switches that would go bad if you hung too many keys from the switch. Everybody has known that since the 70's for heavens sake. If you own a GM car you can't have heavy keys hanging from the switch. Was everybody born yesterday? As for people getting killed because the engine quit running. What's up with that? Were all these people that have never have been to MN? In the winter when it's 20 below zero Fahrenheit your car is going to die out now and then . When it does you bump it into neutral and restart it. I do it so automatically that I don't even realize I've done it unless someone riding with me notices it. I will admit the newer cars don't do that very often anymore but, it still sometimes still happens. By the way, you can still steer when the engine is off, it just takes more effort. To get a drivers license you should be required to pass the driving test in a car without power steering. The breaks will still work too. You will have power breaks good enough for one stop and after that you just have to push on the pedal harder. I really don't see what the problem is with any of this stuff.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Oh lord......... here we go with the FR bashers.

Just plugged in the popcorn popper and taking orders on bilge flavor to spray on the corn.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
Looking at the list, it is everything they produced during the period during which NHTSA suspects them to have not complied with reporting requirements. Not just RVs, all vehicles.

The issue is that F-R forwarded no complaints, filed no reports, made no recalls? I expect this will be leading to a records seizure, which for us as customers might mean not being able to get service from the company, depending on how much is seized, since customer service is where you would look for records of complaints.

Kinds of makes you think that Forest River doesn't care if it plays by the rules. About the way they treat some of their customers.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking at the list, it is everything they produced during the period during which NHTSA suspects them to have not complied with reporting requirements. Not just RVs, all vehicles.

The issue is that F-R forwarded no complaints, filed no reports, made no recalls? I expect this will be leading to a records seizure, which for us as customers might mean not being able to get service from the company, depending on how much is seized, since customer service is where you would look for records of complaints.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Does this apply to Motorhomes, Trailers, or what? FR puts out a lot of different products.

It's at the link- but here ya go!
ON EDIT:
YIKES!

Tried to paste it in, but it's WAY too long and won't format here. Looks like just about everything they make. Go to the NHTSA link and click on "models affected" and you can see for yourself.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
I didn't see any information as to what the problem was/is.

It's in the quoted paragraph: NHTSA hasn't received any of the required reporting on the named models, evidently since 2009.

Of course, that may just mean that over that five years not a single Forest River product had any defect whatever. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I get that, but what was the safety problem? Does this apply to Motorhomes, Trailers, or what? FR puts out a lot of different products.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
In the pharma industry, if no recalls are done over a period of time; mock recalls are required.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:

It's in the quoted paragraph: NHTSA hasn't received any of the required reporting on the named models, evidently since 2009.

Of course, that may just mean that over that five years not a single Forest River product had any defect whatever. ๐Ÿ˜‰

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:

Sounds like a paper work/communication issue. Not necessarily a safety issue or recall.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:

Thanks for the heads up- fixed the O.P.

TWICE! :B

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
...Source/list of models/more info at this NHTSA link

Link didn't work for me, here it is;
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/RecentInvestigations

Thanks for the heads up- fixed the O.P.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
...Source/list of models/more info at this NHTSA link

Link didn't work for me, here it is;
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/RecentInvestigations
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Nice...our first Forest River too....

But, I take it w/ a grain of salt. Worst thing on our TT was the tires...and I replaced them with "good" tires.