cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh water tank vs "city" water pressure

smithrhjr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pressure gauge and monitor so not to let city water pressure damage the RV, but I have a question. If using city water and I am getting 50 psi at the hose I still only get about 1/2 the pressure the fresh water pump will give me when using the fresh water tank. Only thing I see that could be different is when the water enters the RV there is a plastic flapper to stop back flow. Do you think this is limiting the pressure? Right now most of the time I fill the fresh water tank and run off it. Then fill again when low. Ideas please!!!
2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 34' 8"
2020 Chevy 2500 HD 6' 8" bed new this year 6.6L V8 gas engine (That's right, not diesel)
11 REPLIES 11

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I once had a knock on my door about water flowing out of 'my hose'.

When I checked it was a wye fitting I installed on the faucet - up stream from my RV pressure regulator so that I had an unregulated outlet for my black tank flush, or water to wash something off.

I could not understand why the plastic wye broke and was pouring out water. Talking to the campground host, I learned that during the busy Labor Day weekend, the COE engineers had cranked up the water pressure/ flow to support all the campsites occupied. On Monday afternoon as everyone left the pressure kept creeping up for the couple dozen of us left in the campground. Over Monday night, I guess it peaked too high for the Lowe's fitting to hold. The engineers only turned the park water pressure down to normal on Tuesday morning.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. That makes sense. My trailer comes with a built in one, so I don't think upgrading well help much. I still use one because I once stretched out my hose at a campground with insane pressure.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

Higher quality pressure regulators can keep the pressure steady while allowing 4-4.5 gallons per minute of water flow.

The Watts regulator can reach 9 gallons per minute.

All three regulators will keep the water pressure at 50 pounds.

But for a four minute shower:

Camco - $7-8 = 6-8 gallons of water
Valterra - $50-70 = 15-18 gallons of water
Watts - $120-180 = 36-40 gallons of water

Those numbers ignore the EPA imposed 2.2 GPM limit on faucets and fixtures. That 4 minute shower should not exceed 8.8 gallons regardless of the available flow rate above that.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
If the cheap pressure regulator states 50psi, how would a more expensive one give you better pressure? I've read this before, but I don't understand.

Water pressure and water flow are different things.

Pressure is necessary, but you need an open flow.

Pressure is how hard the water comes out of the shower head.

Flow is how much water comes out of the shower head.

Almost everyone complaining about low water pressure actually has good pressure, but very low flow.

Cheap pressure regulators control the pressure by restricting the flow. The easiest way to control pressure is to restrict the flow of water. The very popular Camco is going to allow only 1.5 to 2 GPM.

Higher quality pressure regulators can keep the pressure steady while allowing 4-4.5 gallons per minute of water flow.

The Watts regulator can reach 9 gallons per minute.

All three regulators will keep the water pressure at 50 pounds.

But for a four minute shower:

Camco - $7-8 = 6-8 gallons of water
Valterra - $50-70 = 15-18 gallons of water
Watts - $120-180 = 36-40 gallons of water

Assuming all the parts in the system are correct and there are no slipped washers or other restricting items.

The in-house water pump is just a couple feet from the shower/ faucet - and with only one or two possible sources of restriction. Shurflow pumps run at 2.5 to 4 GPM, Flojet has 2.9 to 5 GPM pumps.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Valterra water pressure regulator. Adjustable and good flow. $60 - $70 from RV supply stores and on-line.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of people mix up volume and pressure. If you have a small diameter reducer rated at 50 pounds supplying larger piping many think they have a pressure problem Because there is not much water flowingout. Get a larger Pressure reducer, like a 3/4 in whole house regulator that costs more maybe, $35-40 and the static pressure will be the same but there will lots more water flowing. Far more than the RV pump will supply.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
If the cheap pressure regulator states 50psi, how would a more expensive one give you better pressure? I've read this before, but I don't understand.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

smithrhjr
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember the brand or cost but it was not cheap. I had read about cheap ones. Thanks
2020 Chevy 2500 HD 6' 8" bed new this year 6.6L V8 gas engine (That's right, not diesel)

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
If you are using one of the cheap in-line water regulators, they do a very good job of foe reduction as well as regulating the pressure. Up grage to a large water regulator.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

smithrhjr
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking as you stated. I might have to look at the back of the panel to check the restriction. THX

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
City water at 50# is typically more pressure than a water pump supplies (45#)

The city water inlet is restricting the flow.......check valve not fully opening or inlet washer/screen plugged.

The check valve is a plastic plunger/spring/o-ring assembly. O-ring gets dislodged and or plunger gets cocked then full flow can not happen.

Hose connection washer/screen if plugged up.........restricted flow.

After water gets pasts those two items t flows thru same system as water pump
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31