cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fuel stabilizer

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Do folks have a preference? I've always used seafoam. On my small engines.. (weed whacker, lawn mower, snowblower etc) I will be starting the RV every month during storage, and hopefully moving it a few feet forward and backward and of course exercising the generator at the same time.
Proud father of a US Marine
26 REPLIES 26

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
The whole 2-stroke oil thing for storage of any 4-stoke is complete myth. People get by because it has fuel stabilizer added, nothing more. Burning the oil in a 4-stroke serves NO PURPOSE and only creates stink. Ya'll have fun with that...cause its ridiculous.

When I was a teen, I would use and not use Sta-Bil, and every for nearly every motor stored over 4-6 months....Sta-Bil proved itself every time. Then E10 came along, and it was practically required.

Sure, one could run the unit dry and drain the carb, but why bother if you don't need to? And what if you have a steel fuel tank?

If there is a steel tank involved, you also need to take precaution. I had a XR650 with metal tank stored for 6-8 months of the year, until the bottom corners of the tank rotted out from the gas separating and water corroding the tank. End of story.

So in Fall, add a fuel stabilizer to every unit to be stored, FILL THE TANK and make sure its been run for a time with the additive. You will NEVER have a gas problem due to varnish or separation.

25 years of proof in a long list of various gas motors and vehicles, there is no question a good fuel stabilizer is simply good practice.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Ramp Digger wrote:
mbopp wrote:
All my small engines get E0 (non-ethanol) gas. After I drain the tank and run the carb dry, I put some 2-stroke mix in the tank, run it through the carb, then drain the tank and run the carb dry again. The 2-stroke oil 1) has stabilizer in it and 2) I figure it keeps the carb gaskets from drying out.

I had to tear down and clean son-in-laws weedwacker carb this spring after he let it sit all winter with E10 in it. Coincidence?

I also go with non-ethanol gas and 2-stroke oil mix.The 2-stroke oil has good quality stabilizers already in it.I had an old chain saw sitting in my garage for about 5 years without being used.I noticed it one day and tried starting it,to my surprise two pulls and it started right up.

No kidding?
Learn something new every day!
Never heard of 2s oil being a fuel stabilizer not seen it marketed as such. But I typically use injector oil not pre mix in everything 2s.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
My small engines, I drain the tank and then run them till they quit. I burn the fuel that I drained in a vehicle and start with fresh in the spring.

If I Can't drain it, I use Stabil.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used Stabil for years and switched to Seafoam for other reasons. After switching I found out that Stabil is not a petroleum product, and Seafoam is. I have had good luck with both, and I also never put gas in my small engines without Seafoam being added to them also.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

eddard49
Explorer
Explorer
I used Sta-Bil in my motorcycles for 30 years, then, about 5 years ago I had all the signs of sour gas in one of them. I switched to Seafoam and so far, so good.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used Stabil for many years without issue, until one year I had to extend my non use period because I needed a repair done on my motorcycle before they would inspect it. It went another two month past normal and it screwed up my carbs pretty good. I switched to StarTron now.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
RJCorazza wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
My point is that you're better off just leaving it alone for the winter. Boats are in the same category. They get winterized in late fall and sit all winter. Then they get started up in the spring and they're fine.

I agree. If it can't be operated under load for long enough to get the engine oil up to temp, then it is much better to not start it at all.
X3... Just let it sit. Won't hurt a thing. Better than just running it for a short time. Otherwise it will build up moisture and won't get hot enough to cook it out..Very tough on exhaust systems as well.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
My point is that you're better off just leaving it alone for the winter. Boats are in the same category. They get winterized in late fall and sit all winter. Then they get started up in the spring and they're fine.

I agree. If it can't be operated under load for long enough to get the engine oil up to temp, then it is much better to not start it at all.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We use Seafoam EVERY time we refill our Honda, you never know when will be the next time the generator gets used. In four years I have NEVER had an issue starting the Honda. I also try very hard to use ONLY non-reformulated gas in it as well, so far so good.

Dan

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
suprz wrote:
I will be starting the RV every month during storage, and hopefully moving it a few feet forward and backward . .

The worst thing you can do is start an engine and only run it for a short time before shutting it down. The engine will not burn off all the water and acids that are generated during a cold start and the initial run up to operating temperature. The exhaust system will rust out sooner too. You absolutely need the oil to come up to operating temperature. Water is a by product of the combustion process and doesn't get burned off unless everything gets good and hot.

The old time rule is that short trips of less then 5 miles are hardest on a vehicle. I believe that to be true. My last vehicle (Honda Element) had 185,000 miles on it when I traded it and it was running like a top. Never did anything to it but basic maintenance. But I drove 30 highway miles each way to work every day.

Just my .02

Tim

I wish I could drive it in the winter, and I will IF the ground isn't too soft from rain or snow melt, but it's kind of hard to drive it out of my yard with 2 - 3 feet of snow in front of it. Hopefully this year won't be like last year
Proud father of a US Marine

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I've always used Sta-Bil.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
I will be starting the RV every month during storage, and hopefully moving it a few feet forward and backward . .

The worst thing you can do is start an engine and only run it for a short time before shutting it down. The engine will not burn off all the water and acids that are generated during a cold start and the initial run up to operating temperature. The exhaust system will rust out sooner too. You absolutely need the oil to come up to operating temperature. Water is a by product of the combustion process and doesn't get burned off unless everything gets good and hot.

The old time rule is that short trips of less then 5 miles are hardest on a vehicle. I believe that to be true. My last vehicle (Honda Element) had 185,000 miles on it when I traded it and it was running like a top. Never did anything to it but basic maintenance. But I drove 30 highway miles each way to work every day.

Just my .02

Tim

tll
Explorer
Explorer
Gas with two stoke oil in it will last longer than straight gas before it gunks up the fuel system. I use Marine Sta-bil in everything I have. I shy away from Seafoam, as it contains some alcohol. No need to increase the alcohol content of the E10 gas around here.
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew