cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

full body paint

lvthesunSask
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Cedar Creek with full body paint. We were told to wash the same as we do our vehicles. We have a pressure washer to use on truck. Don't like the idea of doing that. Do we use a special soap, is waxing necessary?
9 REPLIES 9

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is automotive paint, most likely, treat is as you would a car. Dish soaps strip the wax off. Any good auto wash will do. Personal preference here is the Meguires in the pink bottle.

You bet it needs waxing. How often depends on the quality of wax used. Buy a cheap cleaner wax & you will need to do it more often. Buy a high quality, & usually expensive, sealer wax & you won't need to do it so often. What is your time worth? Less than the cost difference between the two?

Sooner or later that unit will be for sale. A bit of effort & good product adds thousands to its value.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
It's Automotive paint.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
As I said, many people know more that the experts that make the paint.
I don't really care what their findings are or why I shouldn't use dish soap, they make soap engineered to be used on automotive paint, so I shall continue using it.
When I wash dishes, I use Dawn...but not when washing the outside of my fiver & TV.
BTW, all soap is not created equally.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

sleepyT
Explorer
Explorer
I have been useing Turtle Wax "ICE". They make a wash, polish, detailer,& wax. I use all of them on the TV, just the wash & wax on the camper. The wax does't leave a residue on plastic or any black trim. In fact it can be used on plastic rubber, medal, & fiberglass. Goes on easy and comes off easy.
ROSIE&TOMMY
2007 GMC 2500HD DURA MAX/ALLISON
2013 CRUISER PATRIOT 305SK

IN GOD WE TRUST
SEMPER FI

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Any good car wash soap. Yes. Wax it frequently if you want it to continue looking nice.

+1 Unfortunately we have to go to a car wash for ours. Our water is that bad.

Oh and waxing a 40 foot trailer. Not fun. Ever.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Please everyone, if you wax your rv's or any of your vehicles, do not use dish soap. It will strip the wax off the first time you use it. Use any car washing soap available at any auto store, Wal Mart, K Mart, ect ect. Dish soap will clean, but strip the wax and over a period of time dull the finish.
I've been detailing my cars, including Corvette's and Mustang's (show winners)for many, many years, and would attack anyone that came within 50 feet of my cars with dish washing liquid.
Go to Auto Geek.com. Plenty of good info and tips. Its geared toward vehicles, but would apply to rv's also.
As for your pressure washer, no way!!! May be good on your truck, but an rv has so many seams, openings, inlets and outlets that you'd run the risk of blowing water in.
Grumpy

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Many people use dish soap. I checked with DuPont Auto Finishes who recommended against this. I'm sure you'll read about people who have been using dish soap for years, but they must know more than a paint engineer at DuPont.

The R&D department at Dupont performs tests to see the results of different products on their finishes. Then they make "recommendations" as to what they believe is best. Why did they make the recommendation? Does it harm the finish? Does it leave streaks? Is it not effective?

By using dish soap on their vehicles finish and witnessing the outcome, those that like dish soap are performing an unofficial test. If they perceive that there is harm, I would like to think they would stop. Do they know more than a paint engineer at Dupont about paint? Probably not. But they know what they like.

Over the years, I have used whatever surfactant comes to hand, and all I know is that at the end of the day, my car is clean. After all, its just soap.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any good car wash soap. Yes. Wax it frequently if you want it to continue looking nice.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I use Blue Coral car wash soap on my Columbus. When I feel "motivated" I use McGuire's Carnuba Wax or their cleaner wax. I do the same for my TV and all my other vehicles. I would be concerned using a pressure washer for fear of the decals.
Many people use dish soap. I checked with DuPont Auto Finishes who recommended against this. I'm sure you'll read about people who have been using dish soap for years, but they must know more than a paint engineer at DuPont.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo