cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas- cheaper during holidays?

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, no need for tin foil hats, but am I the only one who thinks that there's now a new set of rules that gas prices creep down for holidays and go up inbetween (and that this is the opposite of what it used to be- and the opposite of we've always been told?)

It seems like sometime last year ...labor day or Thanksgiving.... prices dropped....

Christmas time, spring break, Memorial Day, 4th of July- it seems there's a consistent trend- prices drop and even get "almost nice"....then rude, sudden, big increases!

Yeah, there's some external things they can point to and I don't want to say it's total price fixing, but I sure don't think it's happening to give folks a break for vacation....

(That and it also seems that anytime the media says something, the opposite promptly happens with respect to gas prices)

Anyone else have similar questions?
14 REPLIES 14

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
camperforlife wrote:
Around here it still goes up on EVERY holiday. They also raise it every Thursday when many people get paid and leave it up through Sunday. They are always looking for anyway to get the maximum amount from your paycheck.

sound like south bend... the price is always the cheapest on Tuesday and Wednesdays โ€ฆ while its true all year it is much more noticeable during the football seasonโ€ฆ

Not South Bend but still Indiana. Gas Buddy analyst have dubbed it "the Speedway Effect". It seems anywhere Speedway gas controls the market they always raise the price every payday and holiday.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
"...In other words, nothing I can do about it so I don't concern myself with the fluctuations. ..."
EXACTLY the attitude they want-just give up and become subservient.
Not I .
It's the politicians and their addiction to big money that allow this .
My own senator Mitch McConnell is one of the worst offenders .
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Common folks. it is because the refinery (one of the few still cooking) had to stay down longer than usual for maintenance. :B

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
Around here it still goes up on EVERY holiday. They also raise it every Thursday when many people get paid and leave it up through Sunday. They are always looking for anyway to get the maximum amount from your paycheck.

sound like south bend... the price is always the cheapest on Tuesday and Wednesdays โ€ฆ while its true all year it is much more noticeable during the football seasonโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
keep driving - it supports my pension!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I think fuel prices are all over charts. I still think fuel companies push the limit to see how much we (the American public) can tolerate until we fuss. Then they back off for a token amount, and we're dupped into thinking we're getting such a wonderful price again, then they push the limits again, and again, and again. Each time de-sensitizing us what use to be considered a "horrid" price, which we think now is a "bargain!"

I don't think it has anything to do with holidays.

Eggzactly!
I concur with DS here.

The wife and me are waiting for the day that piped water becomes a commodity so the money brokers can screw us there too.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
We only wish it would come down around holidays ! Just this last Mother's day (I know its not a holiday but) prices jumped on ave .20 a gal funny how it dropped back down the following Tuesday.
But here in Ca. it doesn't matter holiday or ? they have an excuse for anything to jack the prices. East Coast has a hurricane coming in, we get a price increase. Its a cold front coming in on the East coast we get price increase. There's a hurricane coming in the Gulf ,changing over to winter blind or changing over to summer blend, or shutting down a plant for maintenance . It doesn't matter, the ground hog saw its shadow yep you guessed it they raise the price ...

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer

MOtrout
Explorer
Explorer
Its not cheaper the couple weeks before the holidays now instead. The regulators were onto their price gouging ways on holday weekends and now they just up the price for a longer period before the holiday weekend now. Watch and see.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I try not to think about it. I use the philosophy in the Serenity prayer;

...accept the things I cannot change...change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

In other words, nothing I can do about it so I don't concern myself with the fluctuations.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot of people drive less during the holidays as they aren't commuting to work ! I for one stay home during the holidays.
In california i think we have longer commutes then some parts of the country. some times 100 miles plus one way!
Gary

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
When I was a kid we had gas wars...the price would be $0.30, there would be a gas war and the price would drop to $0.20 until the gas war was over then it would go up to $0.33 for a while, then another gas war and it would drop to $0.25 then go up to $0.38 etc. It was nothing but manipulation by the gas companines to raise the price. I think the same thing is going on just on a bit grander scale.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Here when the media says prices are going to go up, they do. Our last round of increases were a 30 cent jump followed before a week was up by a 25 cent jump. prices go up by quarters and fall by pennies.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think fuel prices are all over charts. I still think fuel companies push the limit to see how much we (the American public) can tolerate until we fuss. Then they back off for a token amount, and we're dupped into thinking we're getting such a wonderful price again, then they push the limits again, and again, and again. Each time de-sensitizing us what use to be considered a "horrid" price, which we think now is a "bargain!"

I don't think it has anything to do with holidays.