cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas stations

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Why are major gas station operators neglecting the huge market of RVers? Even new stations being built neglect to put in RV lanes that offer both diesel and gasoline. Last trip I pulled into 2 Love's and could not fit in either, had to maneuver around to get to an exit without being able to get gas. It seems that all the truck lanes only offer diesel. Pilot/Flying J are as bad or worse. I am 57 ft. long when attached to my TT and it is a challenge to say the least to find a station I can fit into and out of. It makes no sense to me the fueling companies would neglect this large portion of customers.
30 REPLIES 30

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
What gets me is WalMart. When we stop we generally spend two or three hundred dollars on provisions etc yet only I can think of can we get into to fuel our diesel MH in Decateur ,Indiana. And they pile, in the spring tons of fertilizer and things so it seems they want to block RVs from filling up there. In the early am or late is when we fill after leaving the factory.
Many more RVers would fill up...and buy a lot more groceries etc if they were welcomed. Clearly they let those they lease pr coop space for the fuel stations to keep put RVs.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
I just came down I-75 through MI, OH, KY and TN and OH seems to be the worst. One exit I had tried 3 stations and had to get back on 75 and go to another exit. I disagree that "most PFJ's have dedicated RV lanes, I have seen only one in my travels. I have heard that Love's had dedicated lanes but the ones I tried, 2 of them, this trip didn't.

I can agree that the secondary roads are more accommodating in gas station offerings. I can maneuver my rig just fine too thank you. I just find it irritating that gas stations can't bring themselves to provide just 1 pump to accommodate the RV community no matter what the numbers are.

I bet this was the same exit south of Toledo, we tried to get diesel.One station we could hve gotten into except for one car in the way.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
:R

Gas stations are built for GENERAL PUBLIC USE.

Often the chunk of land they have is insanely expensive and often very restricted in size and access roads in and out. Often the township/city may have additional requirements and restrictions which may limit the design/layout of the station.

Darn hard to justify buying 40 acres of land just so you can get your oversized "land yachts" in and out..

Don't like the stations layout and size, MOVE ON, you WILL find another one that can accommodate your oversized rig.

Can't find what suits you? Then quit whining and put all of your money into building the ideal gas station "Empire" for oversized RVs and see just how much money you bleed..

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Why are major gas station operators neglecting the huge market of RVers? Even new stations being built neglect to put in RV lanes that offer both diesel and gasoline. Last trip I pulled into 2 Love's and could not fit in either, had to maneuver around to get to an exit without being able to get gas. It seems that all the truck lanes only offer diesel. Pilot/Flying J are as bad or worse. I am 57 ft. long when attached to my TT and it is a challenge to say the least to find a station I can fit into and out of. It makes no sense to me the fueling companies would neglect this large portion of customers.

Because it is not. Otherwise the fuel stations would exploit this "large" market for profit.

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Our local mobil gas station was built about 5 years ago and they have 20 gas pumps in the front 2 e 85 and one auto diesel and off to the side another 6 trucker diesel pumps with the outer pump having auto diesel and gas!! Sadly almost everyday I see pickups and trailers,horse trailers,travel trailers,5vers and motorhomes using the front pumps despite signs directing to the outside pumps. I think its more the mentality of thats for the big rigs. I do see some that figure it out and I talk to some and tell them about it and most are greatful as 3 weekends a mont the a local horse shows and alot of traffic comes thru the town to get to the venue. And when I travel I have had a few tight spots but Ive always gotten in and out. And a few I couldn't believe I did LOL
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ken56 wrote:
I just came down I-75 through MI, OH, KY and TN and OH seems to be the worst. One exit I had tried 3 stations and had to get back on 75 and go to another exit. I disagree that "most PFJ's have dedicated RV lanes, I have seen only one in my travels. I have heard that Love's had dedicated lanes but the ones I tried, 2 of them, this trip didn't.

I can agree that the secondary roads are more accommodating in gas station offerings. I can maneuver my rig just fine too thank you. I just find it irritating that gas stations can't bring themselves to provide just 1 pump to accommodate the RV community no matter what the numbers are.

In the end the numbers pay the bills. Data and demographics matter.
If there were enough RV'ers to generate more profit and warrant a change you would see dedicated pumps. Unfortunately there are not enough RV'ers to pay for that dedicated pump.
Businesses that ignore their own data and make decisions no matter what the numbers say don't last long.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
With a 57' long rig you have to ask yourself, "What would a (long haul) trucker do?" Then, . . . . do that. Plan your fuel stops. Google maps (in satellite mode) is your friend.

When I got my pilots license, I quickly realized, hey Chum lee, a regular gas station just isn't going to work with a 42' wingspan, even if I'm only 22' long.

Chum lee

ken56
Explorer
Explorer

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I can understand what you are saying, one station in particular stands out in my memory. The gas fill on my 31ft class c is at the very back of the coach on the drivers side. When I got into position so the hose on the pump would reach, the front of the RV was about 2 ft from the door of the mini mart
Proud father of a US Marine

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
With our last TT we were at 53 ft, now with the MH and toad we are about 54 ft. When it is time for gas I stop and get it, I never thought about a gas station that didn't have room. You must be very unlucky.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
7 yrs FTng...traveling all over the USA on secondary/back roads fueling up at every Mom/Pop, Co-OP, 2 pump, Multi-pump stations in all kinds of small towns.

Had to back out of a couple but so what....got fuel
They got fuel == I need fuel -- I'm going to get fueled.
Simple

Been in tighter/harder to maneuver CGs then any service station.

Go to a large parking lot and Practice maneuvering you truck/trailer.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
Sorry but the huge market you refer to just isn not that huge.
Selling food novelties etc. is more profitable the selling gas. They can replace one RV with 2-3 cars of hungry people.
The numbers are not in the RV'ers favor.

And a percentage of the RVers could not stoop to using the simi-public restroom. Pull in, pay for gas at pump, maybe park out of the way, (maybe not) then pull out, never step inside for a chance at impulse buy.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Sorry but the huge market you refer to just isn not that huge.
Selling food novelties etc. is more profitable the selling gas. They can replace one RV with 2-3 cars of hungry people.
The numbers are not in the RV'ers favor.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Moved from ATC

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s why weโ€™re always on the lookout for stations on a corner. They always have a side exit that makes pulling out easier on the outside pump.
Never wait till youโ€™re down to 1/4 tank.