cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator question

MadFinnHockey
Explorer
Explorer
I have the opportunity to purchase two slightly used Yamaha EF2000IS generators for a pretty fair price ($900 for the two). If I get them I'd buy the interconnect cable so I can run both and run everything in my camper, AC included.

They've been sitting with full gas tanks for a bit and haven't been run in awhile.

They start with one pull, but one but will only run smoothly and stay running with the choke out, once you start closing it, it starts to cough and will eventually die.

The other runs a little rough with the choke out and stalls when pushed in.

I've checked the voltage output (both 120vac and 12vdc outputs) and they're fine.

I'm "assuming" the carbs are gummed up / dirty, and a good cleaning may take care of it, but I'm not mechanical enough to tear them apart and do that. Or maybe a little Sea Foam will clear it out?

I'm open to your thoughts, and thanks
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Agree with mowermech, not a great chance that adding stuff to the fuel will clean out the gummed up carbs.
What you're seeing is absolutely that condition. Runs better on choke means the fuel circuit is plugged or varnished up from old gas and not providing enough fuel through the jet(s).
If they're not throwaway carbs (is you can actually disassemble them) then disassembly and cleaning the carb is what needs done.

IMO you'd have to run them too long with any additives/carb cleaners to make it worthwhile and you're also putting more wear on the engine doing that compared to it running proper A/F ratios.
Take one apart. They're pretty simple and easy to clean. If they run that bad you'll probably see the problem. Main jet will likely be clogged.

Coming from a pawn shop, they don't GAF so do your diligence and check compression before buying, since you can't test them running properly.

And idk if Yami has a built in hour meter like the hondas but may research that.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ajones42
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
When the pilot jets are plugged (Which these are) I have never had any luck with Seafoam. The problem is the pilot jet holes are so small that any little thing will plug them up. Once plugged up you're done. I've tried to clean them out with 0 success.

I would pass on these unless you want to put new pilot jets in both of them and get them for 700 bucks.

I just went through this rodeo with the same Yamaha and agree 1000% with the above statement.

OEM replacement parts for fuel system parts ran ~ $75 and I provided the labor. As an additional note, the fuel outlet on the bottom of he gas tank is where the fuel filter is located. The filter is NOT separate from the fitting and is most likely clogged as well if fuel has been left in the tank. My $75 cost included a new fuel outlet fitting.

The earlier reply stating replace the carb it is cheap is no correct, A new complete carb assembly is $180+++. Fairly expensive in my book.

Lastly, I am NOT a fan of the Yamaha generators simply because their warranty and dealer network is a joke. Hondas for me from now on.
Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
When the pilot jets are plugged (Which these are) I have never had any luck with Seafoam. The problem is the pilot jet holes are so small that any little thing will plug them up. Once plugged up you're done. I've tried to clean them out with 0 success.

I would pass on these unless you want to put new pilot jets in both of them and get them for 700 bucks.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

MadFinnHockey
Explorer
Explorer
Well, a surprise just happened, but first let me give you the background. Monthly I start my two generators (Kipor 3000 for camping and Generac 8000 for the house backup). When I did this in April the Kipor made an awful sound, like there was loud exhaust leak and it wasn't outputting 120vac. Oil is fine (changed at least once a year and I only use the unit a handful of times).

Well I decided to have the shop take a look at it, moved it near the truck and decided to start it again, and been running over an hour like a champ.... smooth, quiet, and running about 2000 watt load without any issue.....

Gremlins?

MadFinnHockey
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked at the Champion and I have to say it looks good, but it may be to heavy. The reason I'm looking for a new generator(s) is because my 14 year old Kipor 3000 thats worked flawlessly over the years has finally developed a problem, and I'm weighing the differences between spending a few hundred, fixing it and continuing to lug around that heavy beast, or go to two smaller, lighter units.
If my Kipor were a bit lighter I would surely fix it.... Maybe I should go see a champion in person and check it out....

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Fresno Tundra Driver wrote:
Drain the old gas out and put fresh gas in along with some Seafoam and run it for awhile and see if it clears up.

X2
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Why not get the Champion 3400 watt with remote electric start? It is oh so convenient to have remote start.

Because he's getting a real name brand Yamaha generator two of them for $900 that's why:h

And I have the Honda 3000 with remote start and yes it is nice:C
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have put sea foam in many a gas tank. Works great. Solves a lot of issues and I have used it in small engines that were running rough and it solved the problem. Great stuff. On the other hand you have no idea what you are getting at the pawn shop.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MadFinnHockey wrote:

I'm "assuming" the carbs are gummed up / dirty, and a good cleaning may take care of it, but I'm not mechanical enough to tear them apart and do that. Or maybe a little Sea Foam will clear it out?

That is a very reasonable assumption ! You are rolling the dice with any additive. No guarantee. Rebuilding those carbs could be expensive, easily $100-$200 each.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
question,there in a pawn shop. they don,t no any more about these gen sets than you do. but if you buy them dump the fuel sea foam them and you might get lucky. p.s. sea foam does eat goo. in the carbs .but if its dried gunk in there they gotta come apart.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I vote with pianotuna.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Why not get the Champion 3400 watt with remote electric start? It is oh so convenient to have remote start.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Those who recommend "chemical overhauls", do you really want that gunk that is in that carburetor dissolved and run through your engine(s)?
Based on personal experience as an Outdoor Power Equipment mechanic, having worked on units that such chemicals were used in, I say "Not me!"
Every year, we got units in the shop that the owners had used just about any chemical you want to name (Seafoam, home-brewed Seafoam, Heet, Iso-Heet, Gumout, acetone, Sta-Bil, etc.). In the end, most of them had to bring it to the shop and have the carb rebuilt or replaced (some of the harsher stuff actually damaged parts of the carb!)
OP, go ahead and buy the generators, then take them to a reputable shop and get the carbs cleaned properly, the oil changed, new filters and spark plugs, and the generator output tested and set for voltage and hertz. Use your favorite fuel stabilizer in every can of gas right from the start, and you should have no further trouble.
Good luck.

The ones that came to the shop were probably the ones that were coming to the shop anyway. While working for my friend at his John Deere dealer we never recommended Stabil. It only puts a scum layer on the fuel for oxidation. It may have worked back in the day but not with todays fuel. We put a note in large print in a sealed plastic bag on every unit we repaired. DO NOT USE FUEL OVER 45 DAYS OLD. DO NOT store fuel in equipment, drain fuel. Seafoam can be left in the carb FULL strength all year and it wont hurt it.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
disconncect the fuel line from the carb and if possible drain the carbs. then spray carb cleaner in the tube where the fuel ilne goes, let as much as possible get into the needle and seat and bowl. then reconnect and with fresh premium gas refill the tank. It may cough and smoke a little at first but after a few minutes should settle out some. if possible let it run under a light load then for a couple of hours.
getting the worst of the varnish out will often let good gas do the rest for you.