cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator question

MadFinnHockey
Explorer
Explorer
I have the opportunity to purchase two slightly used Yamaha EF2000IS generators for a pretty fair price ($900 for the two). If I get them I'd buy the interconnect cable so I can run both and run everything in my camper, AC included.

They've been sitting with full gas tanks for a bit and haven't been run in awhile.

They start with one pull, but one but will only run smoothly and stay running with the choke out, once you start closing it, it starts to cough and will eventually die.

The other runs a little rough with the choke out and stalls when pushed in.

I've checked the voltage output (both 120vac and 12vdc outputs) and they're fine.

I'm "assuming" the carbs are gummed up / dirty, and a good cleaning may take care of it, but I'm not mechanical enough to tear them apart and do that. Or maybe a little Sea Foam will clear it out?

I'm open to your thoughts, and thanks
20 REPLIES 20

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Those who recommend "chemical overhauls", do you really want that gunk that is in that carburetor dissolved and run through your engine(s)?
Based on personal experience as an Outdoor Power Equipment mechanic, having worked on units that such chemicals were used in, I say "Not me!"
Every year, we got units in the shop that the owners had used just about any chemical you want to name (Seafoam, home-brewed Seafoam, Heet, Iso-Heet, Gumout, acetone, Sta-Bil, etc.). In the end, most of them had to bring it to the shop and have the carb rebuilt or replaced (some of the harsher stuff actually damaged parts of the carb!)
OP, go ahead and buy the generators, then take them to a reputable shop and get the carbs cleaned properly, the oil changed, new filters and spark plugs, and the generator output tested and set for voltage and hertz. Use your favorite fuel stabilizer in every can of gas right from the start, and you should have no further trouble.
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
As said, fresh fuel and there is a very good chance the Seafoam will work. Dont be stingy with it, let them sit and run then let them sit overnight or even a couple days and run them again. It's a cheap and easy first step then move on to a qualified person disassembling for cleaning.

MadFinnHockey
Explorer
Explorer
No I didn't do that. The seller is a pawn shop, I could probably suggest that to them.... thanks....

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Drain the old gas out and put fresh gas in along with some Seafoam and run it for awhile and see if it clears up.
E.Lee Galik

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Sea foam will help. Try this first.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Well at a minimum drain the gas including draining the carbs and put fresh in, you didn't mention if you did that. Putting sea foam or gas stabilizer won't clean so maybe a cleaner of some kind in the gas, though I wouldn't it could plug them up.

Personally if the fresh gas doesn't do it I would tear them down and clean. If bad enough you may need to replace the carbs. Not too expensive.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars