cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

getting a tow vehicle

southpoint
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just starting to look at getting a pre-owned vehicle with the intention of being able to tow it with likely a Class C (which I haven't bought yet).
Have four criteria I'm trying to aim towards.
1. An SUV or vehicle with plenty of space.
2. The better the gas mileage the better..
3. One that has excellent long term value and little maintenance. In this area, I sure wish there were more options available for Toyota (like the 4Runner), Honda, and Acura.
4. Automatic transmission

What are the best options out there with the least amount of hassles?
Know that many veer towards the Jeep as it's geared towards dinghy towing.
Just looking for others insight on and what they have experienced.
17 REPLIES 17

Bruce_Brown
southpoint wrote:
Just revisited the thread.
Was shocked to see this about Remco tow package discontinued
What other options do RVers have now for toads?

Blue Ox and Roadmaster have been the 2 bigger names in towing for years.

Remco made a good product but obviously the sales numbers didn't justify continuing that area of business.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Y-Guy
JOERVDREAM wrote:
My question is, can any front wheel drive, automatic transmission vehicle be towed on a dolly? The dingy guide doesnโ€™t cover every vehicle ? Or does it only cover the ones that can be?
Thanks
The Dinghy guides will only cover four wheel down vehicles. You can search through posts here, but you will need to review each owners manual to verify any information you come across. You may want to consider creating your own thread on this topic.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

JOERVDREAM
Explorer
Explorer
Currently flat towing a Suzuki samurai. Itโ€™s great for the desert and around town but not so much on the interstate. Iโ€™m looking into different options including tow dolly. I looked into the acme brand I like the surge break system. My question is, can any front wheel drive, automatic transmission vehicle be towed on a dolly? The dingy guide doesnโ€™t cover every vehicle ? Or does it only cover the ones that can be?
Thanks

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I were to buy a suv with good gas mileage with automatic transmission as you state in your OP that is flat towable I would look at the escape hybrid. Should get 40 mpg all around driving. I have the RAV4 hybrid now and I average 44 mpgs but it is not flat towable. The only issue with towing the hybrids is keeping the 12 v battery charged but a charge line from the MH can fix that.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
check craigs list out here there is a dealer advertising some already setup Honda CRVs. all around the 10K figure but are supposed to be good as a towed vehicle. I have a guy I know bought a used one and has drug it aound for a couple of years now. Look at tucson CL under the rvs.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
The TRD edition 4Runners with manual shift transfer case are still 4down towable. Also the Chevrolet Equinox is 4down towable as is.

southpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Just revisited the thread.
Was shocked to see this about Remco tow package discontinued
What other options do RVers have now for toads?

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We towed a '03 Honda Element for years. Excellent towed vehicle. Pre-tow by running the engine for 5 minutes and shifting into all gears EXCEPT reverse. put in neutral, turn the engine off and unlock ignition. With the rear seats hung up on the sides in store position, you can put a huge amount of 'stuff' back there. We carried a mobility scooter for my wife for many long trips.
If I could buy a new '03 I would buy it this afternoon.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

southpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, thanks!

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
southpoint wrote:
Thanks. Will read over.
My ideal vehicle would be a 4Runner but not viable unless on a trailer.
Wrong, check out a 4Runner Off Road Edition or later 4Runner TRD Edition. They come with a automatic transmission and a MANUAL shift transfer case which makes them fully 4down towable as is. No need for a trailer or driveshaft disconnect.

whemme
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also the topic title is misleading. It should instead be getting a toad vehicle. A tow vehicle is one doing the towing.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to consider a Ford C-Max. This is a small Crossover, but I find mostly ideal. They come in either a Hybrid or a plug in hybrid. Unfortunately, Ford stopped making them in 2019. I purchased one in 2018 because it can be towed 4-down, is an automatic and is a hybrid. The only downside I see for you is the limited cargo space.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Hands down get a Honda CRV. The last year made that can be rigged for flat towing was the 2014 year. Plenty of low mileage cars out there. Ours has been our toad for 3 years and it has been the most trouble free vehicle we have ever owned.

We get about 30 mpg, and have a sunroof. There are AWD versions as well. A 2x2 hitch receiver can be easily mounted and that is where we attach the bike rack.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
to tow 4 down, be sure to check the owner's manual for guidance. don't rely on third party smoke and mirrors.
bumpy