cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting in and out of Motorhome with a cast

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
I twisted my ankle on Friday...went down with excruciating pain. Went to urgent care and xrays revealed possible hairline fracture, along with a sprained ankle. Not sure why they couldn't tell for sure but I have to go in tomorrow for followup.

The problem was getting in our motorhome. What a nightmare. I had planned on just scooting up backwards on my bottom, but the steps are so far apart, that my good leg was wiped out from trying to propel my large body up the stairs. I truly dread going out again tomorrow. They put a splint on my foot, and she said if they determine it's a hairline fracture for sure, I'll have a boot.

I don't know what to do to get in and out. I read an idea to pull the steps in, but then it looks like it would be too high to reach with my rear to slide in.

i should have just gotten a motel room for a while.

We were going to head home in a few weeks, we're in California right now dry camping....it's great being in a small area, everything is compact, but I just can't get in and out ๐Ÿ˜ž
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel
4 REPLIES 4

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
what a GREAT IDEA!!!! thank you!!

I'm in a boot...a hairline fracture.

definitely going to do the cinder block thing...awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I did that worked when the RV steps actually CAUSED my knee pain after going full time. :R

Here is what I did to eliminate using those darn narrow RV steps. It should work for you too!

I bought common cinder blocks from Lowes. Which allowed me to walk in and out of the MH with low steps up, and wider area. Within a couple of days my knee pain was totally gone!!

This should also assist you to get in and out of your MH while you are in a cast. It would also give you room to use your crutches on too.

view looking out from the MH

view looking towards the MH

If I stayed any more than a couple of days at a CG I would buy these cinder blocks and I would leave them there when I left. At most it cost me 10 whole bucks. Small price to pay to be pain free.

Note: some Lowes carry 2 types of cinder blocks. You'll notice two stacks of them and one stack will be a dollar less. Buy these, because they 'weigh less' easier to pick up and place.

I use the flat patio blocks as the last step off. Use the cinder blocks one way for one step and turn it for the next step down. And if you need more space and another low step up they make a half cinder block.

With 'any combination' of these you should be able to make a platform that you can get in and out easily.

Then I would just leave the blocks when I moved on. I asked the CG manager at each CG if it was ok to leave the blocks when I left the CG and all of them said yes.

The wide white strips you see on my steps is just duct tape to accent the steps offs for safety so I could readily see each step off.

Best of luck I hope this helps you. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
sure hope so!

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
When they give you a boot you'll be able to walk on it, then you'll be able to get in and out.