cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM truck with puck system

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at upgrading the truck. Was wondering what issues people had run into with GM's factory mounts. Most likely if we go this route would go with the B&W RVK3700.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD
14 REPLIES 14

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that looks like what we are going to do.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Duramax 3500 Dually. The B&W fits perfectly into the pucks and no issue. I did have to install the uprights 2โ€ off center to the rear because the tailgate was getting too close to the trailer while in the open position.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TimnJo wrote:
I've decided on, and ordered, a B&W. Truck is scheduled to be built next week, hope it gets here before too much snow flies.

Good choice! Membership into the B&W "HeavyWeight FanBoy Club" is in the mail. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
TimnJo wrote:
I've decided on, and ordered, a B&W. Truck is scheduled to be built next week, hope it gets here before too much snow flies.

The B&W 3300 for OEM Ford pucks, has been getting good reviews for a number of years. I am sure the very similar GM version will meet or exceed your expectations.

Jerry

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RAM/B&W version of their puck system VS the RAM/CURT.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TimnJo wrote:
Hi dfletch,
I have a Silverado 3500 DRW on order and am debating the pro's and con's of the B&W and the Curt.
My BIL has a B&W which he loves as he's able to separate it making two easy to lift parts and he can remove it by himself.
My dealer says the Curt is about 200 Lbs - no way I'll be able to handle that myself and I don't think it comes apart, could you confirm?

Plain and simple look at the two side by side, that should be enough to make your decision. If not then the Curt is known for causing CHUCKING since the heads pivot point is several inches below the kingpin attachment height. B&W's is in alignment.

If that's not enough then the CURT is made in China and the B&W is made in Kansas, USA.

Oh also the Curt has 1/2" kingpin jaws and the B&W has 1" machined jaws.

How about the color coded locking system with flimsy locking portion on the Curt compared to the simple handle no QUESTION if you are hitched system of the B&W.

There is more but I am tired of typing.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Get a ball for the puck system and buy the 35 pound Anderson ultimate hitch.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamprs wrote:

I have seen the Ram puck system in person, and really like the look of it. Have only seen photos of the GM pucks, but like that I would not have to install rails. Friend that we camp with has a B&W Companion. I helped him put it together, so I've been around them.

A coworker has a Ford with the OEM pucks and it's very similar to mine. I really can't imagine that GM would try to reinvent the wheel and make there's completely different. I would assume (yeah I know....) the GM system it should be fairly similar to RAM and Ford.

The B&W companion system works just fine. The thing I like about the 4-point puck system is that all of the pin weight is distributed directly to the truck frame directly over the rear axle.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
jaycocamprs wrote:
Looking at upgrading the truck. Was wondering what issues people had run into with GM's factory mounts. Most likely if we go this route would go with the B&W RVK3700.

Fine hitch. i don't know specifics on the GM puck system but I love the OEM pucks in my RAM. Installation or removal of the hitch is simple and takes less than 15 minutes.

KJ

I have seen the Ram puck system in person, and really like the look of it. Have only seen photos of the GM pucks, but like that I would not have to install rails. Friend that we camp with has a B&W Companion. I helped him put it together, so I've been around them.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
TimnJo wrote:
Hi dfletch,
I have a Silverado 3500 DRW on order and am debating the pro's and con's of the B&W and the Curt.
My BIL has a B&W which he loves as he's able to separate it making two easy to lift parts and he can remove it by himself.
My dealer says the Curt is about 200 Lbs - no way I'll be able to handle that myself and I don't think it comes apart, could you confirm?

You can separate the head from the Curt Q20. Just 2 pins and it pops off. I didn't want to bother with lifting any of it into the bed of my truck since I'm typically doing this stuff on my own. I installed a large U-bolt in my garage ceiling secured to roof trusses. I leave a chain hoist hanging from that and use the hoist to lift the hitch in and out. When out of the truck I use a furniture dolly to wheel the hitch in and out of it's storage spot.

This is a super easy and VERY SAFE way to lift a 200 lbs chunk of steel.

KJ
2000 Crownline 205BR
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
1 forgiving wife!!!

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamprs wrote:

Fine hitch. i don't know specifics on the GM puck system but I love the OEM pucks in my RAM. Installation or removal of the hitch is simple and takes less than 15 minutes.

KJ
2000 Crownline 205BR
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
1 forgiving wife!!!

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi dfletch,
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

dfletch
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Silverado 3500HD DRW with the puck system. I got a Curt Q20 hitch from Etrailer and just dropped it in. Works great and takes all of 10 minutes put in or remove. When out of the bed just pop plastic caps in place and have a smooth bed for other stuff.
David & Teresa
2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37 MBH
2017 Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4X4 Crewcab longbed dully