cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Great time to Sell Your RV!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Demand has never been higher!! Pic is link to Camping World form on FB that you can fill out...23,000+ comments so far! Folks want to sell their rigs and get out from under the payment.

27 REPLIES 27

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Demand has never been higher!! Pic is link to Camping World form on FB that you can fill out...23,000+ comments so far! Folks want to sell their rigs and get out from under the payment.

Whoopie!

Either the sky is falling - or the moon is rising, take your pick.

Guess everyone should rush out to buy or sell...:)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
phil-t wrote:
BurbMan wrote:

CW is betting that the RV boom will continue and that mfrs can't keep up with demand for new units, so they are buying used from all the out of work folks that want to get out from under their RV payment.

Then the title of this thread might be (Great time to Sell, and/or Buy an RV). Which is what I am looking at doing.

Which is you are thinking of doing?

Sell?

Have to PRICE it according to what the market can afford so chances are you are gonna take a beating to get from under it.

Have to have an "audience" that REALLY wants your unit AND can afford to buy from you (they may or may not be able to finance), otherwise your gonna have a long, long road of tire kickers..

Places like CW or any RV dealer have easy access to banks willing to sell a loan, much greater chance they will be able to sell the rig easier for a higher price than what you can do selling yourself.

Buy?

Prices of new are not going to drop, things are getting more expensive as supply is down and demand is still there. You also have to consider the manufacturers cost to build has dramatically increased, they are forced to spend money on PPE, they are paying more for raw materials, many places have reduced workforce which affects efficiency on a assembly line and to keep some workers engaged many manufacturers are offering additional hazard pay..

Buy used?

You might be able to pickup a used bargain from individuals and I highly doubt you are going to find a used bargain at a dealer lot as the dealer is in business to turn a profit..

If the individual seller has an outstanding loan, they will have to scrape up the difference between what you buy it for and what they owe.. Not your problem but it does complicate the process considerably. The seller may not be able to cover in cash so they may have to take a personal loan to cover and you may also run into delays with getting a clear title since the lien holder actually holds the title and isn't going to release the title until after their lien has been paid in full.. Your "bargain" may turn out to be less of a bargain if you are not careful.

I personally will not touch anything used with a outstanding loan attached to it.. Too much hassle and mess.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:

CW is betting that the RV boom will continue and that mfrs can't keep up with demand for new units, so they are buying used from all the out of work folks that want to get out from under their RV payment.

Then the title of this thread might be (Great time to Sell, and/or Buy an RV). Which is what I am looking at doing.
2014 Allegro 36LA

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
I don't begrudge CW for making a profit, but this kind of advertising activity is pretty tacky to say the least (actually this thread is actually expanding their advertisement). And I would bet their offers are $.50 on the Dollar too boot..

This was my point....and good parallel to "It's a Wonderful Life".

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
My coach is 12 years old and needs some tlc i wonder if i should bother with all the repairs before selling.
2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
I'm betting the newbies did no maintenance. Buyer beware.

Read the comments, lots of 2015-ish units folks are tired of making payments on. Whether they did any maintenance who knows.

Point is that inventory has to be really low if CW is on FB looking to buy trailers.

Inventory may be low (which IS GOOD for companies right now as they can keep the SELLING price and profit up) it is more like CW is taking a "calculated risk".

They are trying to scoop up fire sale bargains from panicked sellers, lots of folks out of work or underemployed right now, market is ripe to buy dirt cheap from folks who are not in a good position to continue paying on a 8-12yr loan giving CW extremely undervalued inventory that they can resale at a huge profit.

Not to mention CW might be having issues landing new inventory quick enough with many factories shuttered or vastly crippled in output..

Remember the movie "Its a Wonderful Life"?

In the movie set around the great depression, Potter (the mean guy) buys up every property he can from panicked owners for $.50 on the Dollar (half of it's worth) and the good guy "Bailey Building and Loan" manages to keep a few customers that believe in him.. If it wasn't for Bailey, the whole town would have been vastly different.

I don't begrudge CW for making a profit, but this kind of advertising activity is pretty tacky to say the least (actually this thread is actually expanding their advertisement). And I would bet their offers are $.50 on the Dollar too boot..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Theyโ€™re just prepping for next year. At the rate this Rona thing is going, itโ€™ll be camper madness again next year.
I need to get off my ____ and find a trailer this winter!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:

Read the comments, lots of 2015-ish units folks are tired of making payments on. Whether they did any maintenance who knows.

Point is that inventory has to be really low if CW is on FB looking to buy trailers.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Camping World = RUN!
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
JKJavelin wrote:
What about the ones that owe way more than they'll get for it?

They are "out of luck" if they are not able to "cover" the difference in what CW offers and the loan payoff amount..

CW is betting on snapping up dirt cheap "fire sale" inventory taking advantage of folks PANIC SELLING.

Best bet is to NOT get in the "upside down" position in the first place, by buying a lower cost RV or even a used RV even if it means you won't get all of those "cool" new "gadgets" and "gingerbread".. But that is a whole nuther discussion that typically turns pretty ugly around here.

this., ^^^^^^^^^
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
JKJavelin wrote:

They are "out of luck" if they are not able to "cover" the difference in what CW offers and the loan payoff amount..

CW is betting on snapping up dirt cheap "fire sale" inventory taking advantage of folks PANIC SELLING.

Best bet is to NOT get in the "upside down" position in the first place, by buying a lower cost RV or even a used RV even if it means you won't get all of those "cool" new "gadgets" and "gingerbread".. But that is a whole nuther discussion that typically turns pretty ugly around here.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad