cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grey water dumping

dhuse
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago (1970s) it was not unlawful to dump grey water in Federal or State campgrounds. It was generally done by lots of campers. Have rules/laws been passed that now prohibits this activity or do RVers still carry on with this practice?
83 REPLIES 83

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
So nobody pees in the shower? That alone would render the dumping of gray water as a health hazard.
Nope, only in the pool. :B
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

dhuse
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great information. I feel like I'm now an expert in the field with grey water dumping. Pun intended. But I do need to research BLM, Ca State Parks, and NPS.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
As usual, threads on this topic get wildly out of hand. Nobody is professing to gray water dumping in a campsite where others will be residing right behind you.

Nobody is professing to gray water dumping where it is specifically prohibited.

Simple rules --- If you are in a campground, on a site where others will follow you, don't dump your GW on the ground. If you are in a remote site, boondocking, just be aware of any local laws.

Anyone who claims that dumping gray water in a remote site where no-one else will be anytime soon, is an environmental hazard, has their head in the sand (among other places).
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
no matter what anyone says, gray water from a RV has food particles in it, along with soap. this will attract insects and animals.

And to think, all this time I've been going camping to get away from nature!!!!!!!!!!
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
no matter what anyone says, gray water from a RV has food particles in it, along with soap. this will attract insects and animals.

every campground i've been too, bans dumping gray water on the ground.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think dumping grey water on the ground is permissable hardly anywhere and really it shouldn't be. For 1 thing it allows soapy water to soak into the ground and may attract critters. It's 1 of those things that wouldn't be a big deal if 1 or 2 people did it but is if many do. I'm sure public parks don't allow it.
Jayco-noslide

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
EsoxLucius wrote:
NPS and USFS dispersed camping rules have long allowed digging pits for grey water. Common sense should dictate practice based on applicable rules.

National Parks don't allow digging pits!!!
Sorry, you are wrong. NPS backcountry rules prescribe digging a pit.

Ahh...backcountry as in hiking/tenting. Yes. I thought you meant RV camping.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
EsoxLucius wrote:
NPS and USFS dispersed camping rules have long allowed digging pits for grey water. Common sense should dictate practice based on applicable rules.

Sorry, you are wrong. NPS backcountry rules prescribe digging a pit.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Do you think the majority of Quartzsite boondockers dutifully carry their gray water to a dump site?

No, I don't but this winter in Quartzsite I will be sure to shower outside and if anyone does not want to see me nude then just move on to another site.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
The solution to pollution is dilution! A 50 gallon grey tank used liberally is very different than a dishpan four or five times a day. NPS and USFS dispersed camping rules have long allowed digging pits for grey water. Common sense should dictate practice based on applicable rules.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
I haven't figured out what the difference is between washing the MH with soapy water in the driveway and dumping water from a shower out of the gray water tank??????????

Bill

Bio Hazard.....
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess if you never wash your hands, brush your teeth or shower in the MH it would take a long time for the grey tank to become full. :B

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
So what do you do with the soap water that comes off of your hands when you wash them in the outside shower faucet? Or the tent camper who washed his dishes?

Bill

apples v. oranges
volumes are much different.
bumpy

Maybe for you. We use no more water to wash in the MH, than we did when we tented. Years and years of saving water camping, the habit is ingrained! One pot of hot water does them all.