cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Guess the California drought is over!!

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Got a week of crabbing coming up. We have postponed a Monday arrival in Bodega because they are expecting 4.5 inches of rain and wind,,big wind.
Gotta say on one hand I am glad we are getting rain,, but I stand to loose some good money because I might not even be able to get in there,,let alone launch a 16' boat in big swells.

Hope I don't have to sit this one out!!
28 REPLIES 28

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Eureka, Ca today: โ€œPrice has been set at $2.875. Guys are still trying to figure out when they are going fishing as there is bad weather coming.โ€
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
We are doing well, all things considered. Let's hope the rest or winter is good. Here where we live in the socal high desert, I have measured 3.20" of rain so far. We will take that any year. Gonna be a green spring for sure. And we have the next 10 days with on again, off again rain!!
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Well were going for it,, storm is upon us,, If Valley Ford is Flooded we'll head to Sebastopol, If thats no go well hang out at the KOA in Petaluma. Weather is to warm to stay at home!!

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
WackAway,, The Dunes has allot of room and has allot of wind shielded spaces. One of our favorite places with my trailer and boat,,Porta Bodega, right on the water,electric and water and the launch has parking and is a few yard from the camp site.
Also, Westside park is set up for campers with boats. They just finished rebuilding the dock and ramp. Only thing about Westside and Doran is Wind!! not to many places to escape it. But the entrance to they bay is not as treacherous as Lawsons.
I have done many a crab fishing with Hoops at the Lawson Pier!! Not many Hoop nets up north,, to many boulders!!

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
WackAway wrote:
The Crabs are going on strike? I suppose they want minimum wage too... ๐Ÿ™‚

We were at Tomales Bay (Lawson's Landing) and Bodega last week. Yes, they are on strike so as to put pressure on processor pricing ($2.75 lb). The commercial crabbers have had a brutal year due to being shut down in much of the state because of Domoic Acid / Mercury. That has since lifted. Once the processors strike a price at $3.00 lb, they will be back out on the water. Hopefully soon. For us consumers, expect to get hype priced at some ridiculous number.

@jake2250, where do you stay up in Bodega? We did some scouting and drove through Bodega Dunes, Wrights Beach and Doran Park. Any tips?

I have a small boat and stay in the Bodega bay, We really like Doran but have spent allot of time at Lawsons,, although Lawsons tends to be Carnival camping at times. They have tried to control it but we have still been blocked in by folks spreading there camp site all over!! Had a guy actually back his aluminum boat half into my site!! Then threw the generator in the boat and ran it for a few hours.Needless to say,, it was loud.. Dogs and kids on the loose.... I can launch at Doran with out four wheel drive and with a Marine radio I am in touch with the Coast Guard station.
If I can get a spot on "The Wall" I like Lawsons..

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
jake2250 wrote:
Got a week of crabbing coming up. We have postponed a Monday arrival in Bodega because they are expecting 4.5 inches of rain and wind,,big wind.
Gotta say on one hand I am glad we are getting rain,, but I stand to loose some good money because I might not even be able to get in there,,let alone launch a 16' boat in big swells.

Hope I don't have to sit this one out!!

Are you crabbing commercially? Guys were talking strike over price.

No, I have a 16' inflatable with six commercial traps. I should be good after Tuesday, but just getting to where I need to camp might not be doable, all the towns leading in there are predicting record flooding!!
As far as price I read that they settled on $5 a pound early on in the season.
With a banner Crab year I would think that is a good price..
Going to call the Campground and see if they will move me to the next week. I would not be happy to pay for a spot and not be able to get in there..

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
^^^^^ No stats but I can say for certain there is more snow on the mountains looking that way from Palm Springs, CA than I have ever seen coming here since 2005.
Unfortunately a lot of that runs into the "landpack" and not much away from the snowpack, but we can always hope. Thanks for the report from your neck of the woods re; the snowpack!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^ No stats but I can say for certain there is more snow on the mountains looking that way from Palm Springs, CA than I have ever seen coming here since 2005.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Check on Big Bear Lake, the California drought is in no means over! We are at half of "normal" snowfall in the Sierra and Eastern Sierra. Will take a few more years of super snowfall to bring us within striking distance of 80% "better"
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just so you know.. One big rain does not a drought end.

But it is a start.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Aridon wrote:
Except that there was no consensus in the 70s about global cooling. Don't confuse a few studies with many possibilities explored (namely the global ocean currents) as consensus. You know if you'd read the headlines and articles we should have cancer cured, we should be living to 140 as half man and half machine, have farms or organs, be mass producing mechanical hearts of patients etc.

None of it is true to the extent reported but reading a handful of articles you might believe it was coming right around the corner. Articles are often misrepresented and facts construed to get people to read. Nothing has changed since the 70's in that regard.

Also, if there is a natural cause to warming we should be able to point to it out side of greenhouse gasses which we can't. We should actually be cooling given our orbit and sun output. The fact we are not and the speed at which it is increasing is why people are alarmed.

Much like the leaded gas fiasco people will deflect, delay and use a healthy dose of cognitive dissonance to keep reality in line with their thoughts.

There still is no consensus in some parts of the world (the USA included) which is part of the problem.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmmmm .... regardless of what particular person gives weather reports on the media .... don't the data inputs for their weather spot come from some meteorologist or meteorology department or similar source?

That being said, here's an excellent source for weather reports whether at home or on the road. We plug in our location and then get specific reports tailored best as possible for where we're located:

http://www.weather.gov/
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Except that there was no consensus in the 70s about global cooling. Don't confuse a few studies with many possibilities explored (namely the global ocean currents) as consensus. You know if you'd read the headlines and articles we should have cancer cured, we should be living to 140 as half man and half machine, have farms or organs, be mass producing mechanical hearts of patients etc.

None of it is true to the extent reported but reading a handful of articles you might believe it was coming right around the corner. Articles are often misrepresented and facts construed to get people to read. Nothing has changed since the 70's in that regard.

Also, if there is a natural cause to warming we should be able to point to it out side of greenhouse gasses which we can't. We should actually be cooling given our orbit and sun output. The fact we are not and the speed at which it is increasing is why people are alarmed.

Much like the leaded gas fiasco people will deflect, delay and use a healthy dose of cognitive dissonance to keep reality in line with their thoughts.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
I lost all faith in media weather prognosticators back in the 70's
Things have changed.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman