cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Guitar playing

CoffeePat
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm just starting my RVing life. Wife & I just want to see the sites in America. I enjoy playing around on my guitar. Not that I'm good. I just enjoy it. I'm hoping that while we're out, if I just drag my guitar out & start playing it will lead to something. Am I overly optimistic, naive??? What should I expect? How could i make this work?
23 REPLIES 23

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
I love it when I hear a neighbor playing, I try to make it a point to thank the ones that are fairly good at it. bahahah. JH

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking accustic do it. Please play. We often take kids camping and one memorable trip there was a lady behind us who played for a solid hour and all the kids and us loved it. I honsetly think she may have been a famous person but to this day did not ask and wish I had. She could well have been Joan Biaz.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I think the key words are acoustic and softly. Only a few times have I seen or heard anyone playing a guitar or similar outside their RV. In some cases it was enjoyable. In others it was tolerable. No doubt there are going to be some who are annoyed or will complain no matter what the sound.

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
I play my ukulele all the time at somebody-sleeping-next-to-me level i.e as quietly as possible.

I am not playing for others to join in with me, nor to annoy anyone else. I am used to playing every day and like to do that when I camp, too.
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
CoffeePat wrote:
So I'm just starting my RVing life. Wife & I just want to see the sites in America. I enjoy playing around on my guitar. Not that I'm good. I just enjoy it. I'm hoping that while we're out, if I just drag my guitar out & start playing it will lead to something. Am I overly optimistic, naive??? What should I expect? How could i make this work?

Honestly. at least in the South. If your guitar is acoustic, You will draw a crowd. Every where we have been, when a guitar come out the migration to that campfire begins.

One special night stands out. While camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway, at Linville Falls. I grabbed my Dulcimer started to our friends site, and saw another camper inside with their Guitar. Hollered at them and we sat, played, and sang for hours. He was much better than me, but it didn't seem to matter. We played until we noticed the Ranger standing there. We offered to stop, and he said no go ahead. The whole CG is here anyway. It was a magical night. nothing planned, no fussin, just playing what the crowd ask for. Him more than me.

Thing is. The best times just happen, you can't plan them. So take the Guitar, play softly, and folks will join you. And yes. Some will be really good. and yes, You will get better.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your music can be heard beyond the limits of your own site, at least some of your neighbors will be annoyed. It doesn't matter how good you are. The same holds for outside radio or TV speakers.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Lead to what? Others joining in? More and better guitar-playing on your part? Neighbors getting annoyed?

All of these are likely, depending on how long you keep it up, what your context is, and how good you are to begin with.

The best place to do this is at a bluegrass festival, as has been mentioned.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
It would probably work better then me getting out my trumpet.

LA-REDNECK
Explorer
Explorer
Go with it, see what happens. I go to Blue grass festivals and there are always parking lot pickers.
LA-REDNECK

2013 Tiffin Allegro Open Road
2017 Acadia