cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

handicap rv parking

betsypupcdx
Explorer
Explorer
We are long time rvers, and until now have always towed a car. We now have a new class C and plan not to tow.
Next weekend we are attending an event in Kissimee Fl at Osceloa Heritage Park, A huge venue that has a rodeo arena and a convention building.
My question is what is the law regarding the availability of handicap RV sites? They have three areas for rv hookups. All a great distance from the convention center.
I am worried our site will be too far to walk.
I guess we can invest in mobility scooters.
But other similar places we have visited and camped have a few handicap rv sites very close to the event building.

thanks
Linda
Tye & Linda
Ch Shana's Bbonded-N-Insured UDX VER RA aka "Brinks"
Sketchbook Four the Record CD BN RN aka "Ali"
(standard schnauzers)
19 REPLIES 19

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
Our setup is a 32ft class A towing a FWD van that we use to travel around the city where we are camped. The van holds our 2 mobility scooters that we use both at the campground & when we head into town.

We worked through all the options, & this worked for us.

xxjanaleexx
Explorer
Explorer
All PA state parks have them as well as Nat'l and COE in other states. And we have traveled extensively and almost all of the parks we have stayed at have handicapped sites..I DO take notice.
Driver,"Jan"..
Social director "Mittzi the cat"
Present rig 1995 Sunline Solaris 1950
and many others over the past 35 years

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
The only cg that I have seen with handicap sites available were at Lazydays cg in Tampa.
Don

Many Florida State Parks have them.

They are cement sites, next to the restrooms, with a sidewalk.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
The only cg that I have seen with handicap sites available were at Lazydays cg in Tampa.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Vet Man wrote:
The state sent someone to look the place over and they wanted to sue the track at not cost to me,

Are you saying the State wanted to sue the racetrack for you because they did not provide handicapped parking spaces for RV's?
And, because you chose to not sue, the state took no action?
Something is seriously wrong with that picture.
Who did the State send to look, the ACLU?

In order to sue they have to have someone who was damaged by an act
or omission. The State was not damaged. The RV camper would have been the damaged party. Therefore the RV camper would have to be the complainant. Remember we are talking civil law not a criminal act.

I ran into this several times when I worked as a Job Coach for Adults
with Developmental Disabilities.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
There is no ADA requirement or regulation regarding RV sites. When the ADA mandates something, if the requirements are not spelled out, the standard for compliance is almost universally "reasonable". Don't think you are ever going to find a Judge or Jury who is going to enforce a penalty against a business for not providing a handicapped parking spot (Or any parking spot for that matter) large enough to park a Prevost towing a 30 foot car hauler. It would be my semi-educated guess that if you are handicapped and traveling in an RV larger than a Class B you are going to have to accept the fact there isn't going to be handicapped parking spaces available for you.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps check to see if there is a golf cart company nearby who could deliver a golf cart to the event site for you to rent during the event.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Vet Man wrote:
As I was told by the State, Handicap parking is controlled by each state.

Not according to Dog Folks. I think someone from the state was pulling the wool over your eyes. But, you are free to believe as you wish. :W

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Vet Man wrote:
As I was told by the State, Handicap parking is controlled by each state.

As I am handicapped, this statement interested me. I did the research and found that this is not true.

"The states establish laws concerning handicapped placards, plates and fees." --Law Dictionary

The feds establish the regulations regarding parking.

"Within the ADA the federal government defines the location, the number, and the size of handicap spaces in public and private parking lots."--Law Dictionary: What are Laws for Handicap Parking Spaces

Just a FYI.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Vet Man wrote:
The state sent someone to look the place over and they wanted to sue the track at not cost to me,

Are you saying the State wanted to sue the racetrack for you because they did not provide handicapped parking spaces for RV's?

I have no idea who the state sent to look at the parking. There are no painted parking spots just a Handicap parking area. The owner at that time was a real ***. I wanted to know the law as far as parking a MH in a Handicap parking area. The state was unhappy because he would not let a Handicap in a MH. use the parking lot that was not lined off for anyone. That's what I am saying. You are free to believe as you wish. As I was told by the State, Handicap parking is controlled by each state.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Vet Man wrote:

x2. Anyone who defends old people with arthritis must be evil.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have been able to park my Roadtrek in handicapped spots most of the time. If there is n space available I do have a scooter. I could not get my heavy Ranger Safari anyplace in the Roadtrek so I bought a Travel Scoot that folds and fits under the bed in the RT. It is expensive ($2600.) but folds very small. It seems primitive to the Safari with no dynamic braking, only 1 wheel drive, not as comfortable seat but it fits. I asked about no lock on the power and they said it weighs 29#. Anyone could just pick it up and carry it away. I carry it unfolded in my Vue with only the seat removed and just lift it out.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
It is not unusual for campgrounds to have dedicated handicap sites. But I doubt you will find many event centers with oversized handicap parking spaces for motor homes of any size. And I also doubt any law would require such. I can't imagine a law requiring spaces for large MHs in case some one wants to drive their A and park up close to the entrance.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Vet Man wrote: