cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

handspun for sale?

Mantislover
Explorer
Explorer
It will be some years down the road before I can afford to get my rv and begin fulltiming. When I do my wheel comes with me.
I specialize in exotic fibers and hope I could make some money with my skill.
My question, how open are campgrounds to someone selling things on thier property? Would I be allowed to put up a sign on my rv to advertize? Spinning is my skill and my yarn is excellant. I sell pretty well online but I would love to sell to people I meet.
The best tv in your motor home is the windshield.
17 REPLIES 17

Mantislover
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on selling online too. I make good sales every year from it. I will make a website for my yarns and fibers too.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I just don't see enough sales of yarn in a RV park to make any money, a craft fair and such would be a better deal, I mean really how many RVers want yarn.

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
Please just post where you will be located (city & state is fine). That way I know where not to take the wife...when she is done shopping the weight police would come after me for sure since she loves to buy project yarn ๐Ÿ˜‰
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

Mantislover
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure the number of yarn stores is uncountable! Same with fiber stores. I bet some of the language is alot like mine when my plying goes bad! Ive learned to use my toes to hold the yarn and try to fix the problem with my hands.

I think I would just like a sign and spinning outside to call attention to knitters that I might have yarn avaliable. I wont break the rules though. That could cause me to be out and I dont want that. But if Im spinning outside and someone wants it real bad, what then? Im going to spin outside unless the wind is too strong. I bet people would get a good laugh watching me try to get my fiber back after it floats away!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Each campground is run different.

In our 7 yrs. of full time travel (that's a lot of CGs) FEW allowed OPEN selling of items......setting up a table etc.
MANY allowed window signs
SOME had 'craft sales' where you could set up a table for a nominal fee.

GF knits and crochets hats/purses/scarfs/novelty items etc. Very few sales while in CGs.........lots of sales at local flea markets/craft sales/street fairs etc.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
I sure hope you don't end up in the same park as us. DW is a avid knitter. As a matter of fact the yarn store is the first place we hit in any town we visit that has on (or more). Under our bed was full of 'project yarn' at one time. She is pretty particular about her hand spun. You should hear the language when she gets knots!! There is a market out there as well as local fairs and markets. Just check with the park, especially if they have a craft group.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like you'd have your best selling shot at private campgrounds since most publicly owned campgrounds prohibit selling, in my experience.

In Washington State Parks, even the Camp Host is forbidden to engage in any such practices!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
We have also seen people sell their craft while camping. One lady recovered camp chairs. She had a small sign but she also did her work outside where it was very noticeable. She was always working on a chair if she was down at the beach.

I would not be offended by your yarn being sold at a place we were staying as long as you did not have a "store" set up where non campers were coming in. I do not want to discourage anyone from making a living through honest work.

Mantislover
Explorer
Explorer
A demo! I would love to do that! And I have seen myself spinning outside from the beginning of my dreams of rving. Unfortunately being stuck at a fair feels abit like Id be trapped there all day. In my own space or a building on the property I wouldnt feel trapped at all.
Asking is a good idea, I wonder if I should offer a percentage? A friend sells my yarn and asks 25%. Thats reasonable to me.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing to do is to talk with the RV park manager and explain what you would like to do. They will either allow or not.

One way to get customers is to put on a demonstration. Ask the park managment if you can put on a demo in one of the club room or central area of the park. Post flyers with date and time. I've been to numerous of these type of demos and the folks always sold quite a few producs after the demos.

Another way to create interest is to do your spinning in your campsite where you can be seen by folks walking by. Some will stop out of curiosity and buy becuse they like what the see. We have sold many products this way when we were selling on the road.

Mantislover
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for the replies! And the welcome too.
I would prefer to sell to campers at the start and not draw in people who aren't campers. I can easily see how that would make the owners/managers unhappy with me, then others selling thier wares after me. Thats not fair to them.

I remember reading afew years ago in either Trailer Life or Motorhome magazines about a wife who was bored to tears. She found a knitting shop and was happy she found it. The husband and children were always off fishing I think.

I think though I remember seeing a sign in a local campground about no selling, and another that welcomed selling.
Fairs are a good idea. I helped a friend tend her booth at the Blue Hill fair. Nice more counry-ish fair, livestock, good food,fiber animals, 4H that kind of thing. She made some good money that time. Another lady we knew sold her home raised,spun and knitted sweaters for $300.00 a piece!!

tandkj
Explorer
Explorer
Put signs on the side of your RV stating what you have and it's for sale.
Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
I gree with the above. I really doubt you will fine many, if any folks in the campgrounds that will even know about what you sell. You would do better to contact stores in the area where you go.

I personally hesitate to buy my fiber online...I buy from trusted sources and want to see it and feel it ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck in you quest ๐Ÿ™‚
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I have no specific knowledge in this area, but I do have an opinion, fwiw. If you're talking about passive selling to fellow campers who are out walking their dog and express an interest, I doubt anyone would take issue. Unfortunately, I also doubt you'll make much money. If you're talking about active selling, advertising, and using your RV as a storefront, I think a great number of people will take issue, mainly because you're bringing additional traffic into the area and people who are not registered and really have no business being there. I certainly don't want to be camped next to you under those circumstances.

My suggestion would be that, if possible, you consider selling your product at festivals, fairs, etc., and using your rv to engage in that business approach. Lots of people do that, and it affords you the opportunity to go where you want, when you want. My $.02, probably worth less than that.! Good luck in your endeavors; it sounds like a nice product. And welcome to the forum!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard