cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

svcheerio
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder....we bought them for several of our camping friends as gifts. Everyone agrees....it is the best cup of coffee they have ever had. And the easiest clean-up. I hope you get to try it. I doubt you'll be disappointed!
๐Ÿ™‚He,Me and the Dog
1997 Winnebago Brave
2005 Jeep Wrangler
2 Happy Campers
1 Happy Dog

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hmm, that does sound like it would work as well but be much easier to clean up. Thanks for the info.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

svcheerio
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use a french press...but it was tough to clean without using a lot of water. The aeropress has a small disc filter. The grounds and the filter just "push" out the bottom after you have squeezed the coffee into the cup. (I call it coffee essence as you then add your hot water to the "essence" to make your perfect Americana style coffee). Many times it needs NO cleaning or rinsing as the grounds completely empty into the trash. Other times it only takes quick swipe with a paper towel to brush off the grounds.http://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso-Maker-Filters/dp/B001HBCVX0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...
๐Ÿ™‚He,Me and the Dog
1997 Winnebago Brave
2005 Jeep Wrangler
2 Happy Campers
1 Happy Dog

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I love french press for coffee, and the Aeropress looks very similar. The french press is kind of a hassle to clean up because of the design. Is the Aeropress easier to clean up? And, if so, why?

TIA.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

suerover
Explorer
Explorer
I agree the Aeropress coffee maker is the best. So easy to clean up and it makes great coffee.
www.ourtravelswithrover.com
2002 24 RB Born Free/1999 23 RK Born Free

svcheerio
Explorer
Explorer
The best coffee maker and easiest clean-up for us (we dry camp most often so water is always a concern) is the Aeropress. Got it on Amazon for under$25. Best coffee EVER in my opinion!
๐Ÿ™‚He,Me and the Dog
1997 Winnebago Brave
2005 Jeep Wrangler
2 Happy Campers
1 Happy Dog

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
I am a little on the heavy side and it feels like my roof ladder is going to rip off the trailer every time I use it. I bought a heavy duty 24" bar clamp from HF with plastic ends and squeeze handle. I reversed the moveable and the fixed ends of the clamp. I place the fixed end on the ground and the moveable jaw under the bottom rung. Squeeze the handle and it securely braces the ladder to the ground. Mount behind the ladder and keep in mind and be careful when dismounting. Make sure camper is secured with rear stabilizers.

Keep "Murphy" at bay!

The "climbing angle" on roof ladders is hazardous to your health..:( .. - regardless of your being a "little on the heavy side".

Use one of the telescoping ladders. To determine the "right" distance for the base ("out" from vertical) should be approx arm's length reach to a rung at shoulder height.

The ladder should extend at least one rung above the roof.
Use the top of the factory ladder as a tie-off point (on your first trip "up") for the telescoping ladder.

~

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
We also use the glow bracelets. I put them on my tiki torches and and tent pegs in the ground so noone runs into them in the dark.
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

BluEydDevil
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the apps I have on my (Android) phone I find useful while traveling are:

Waze, A cloud source program that lets you know traffic conditions.

GasBuddy, lets you know the price of fuel and WHERE to get fuel. That comes in handy when in smaller towns and unfamiliar places.

Bubble, to make sure things are level enough to run the refrigerator.

A flashlight app, although I keep a couple real ones with me it's nice to have one on the phone.

A weather app, to keep track of any bad weather that may be headed my way.

A knot tying app, OK, so I wasn't a boy scout and my time in the military was in the Air Force, need I say more?

A compass app, nice to have.

and Google Sky. Great for stargazing.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Well, I have read every tip so far -- got lots of great ideas from all of you -- and as far as I can tell, the following tip is not a repeat.

If your fridge pilot light blows out in high winds, fasten window screen material inside the fridge vent with cable ties. There is still plenty of air circulation but the screen stops the wind gusts:

How would you realize that the pilot was out?

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I am a little on the heavy side and it feels like my roof ladder is going to rip off the trailer every time I use it. I bought a heavy duty 24" bar clamp from HF with plastic ends and squeeze handle. I reversed the moveable and the fixed ends of the clamp. I place the fixed end on the ground and the moveable jaw under the bottom rung. Squeeze the handle and it securely braces the ladder to the ground. Mount behind the ladder and keep in mind and be careful when dismounting. Make sure camper is secured with rear stabilizers.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
That is a good one, using the chocks.

ralphnjoann wrote:
popeye59 wrote:
rickeoni wrote:
We installed a cheap ebay dash cam on my wifes truck as an experiment. I now have another one going into my truck. What a great idea, won't be without one niw.

Which dash cam did you go with?

You might want to check this one out.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

wilcamp
Explorer
Explorer
LuckeyUs wrote:
To measure the distance of an obstacle in the way of our slides, we have a piece of pink string in the truck, cut to that length.

My two yellow wheel chocks, one pair for each side of the TT, are connected with lengths of 3/8" braided utility rope. The length of the chocks and rope combination matches the distance required of my slide-out. Stretching these out on the ground before backing in gives me the bright yellow visual cues needed for the task.

The rope connections are more than long enough to reach the proper positions for chocking the tires, and provide a convenient grasp to pull and store both chocks at the same time.
Wil, Tara, Keeko (Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix 9 yr.-old) and Kalee (Wire Hair Terrier/Blue Heeler mix 1 yr. old)
2018 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2702; 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi w/ 3.92 rear axle

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:
rickeoni wrote:
We installed a cheap ebay dash cam on my wifes truck as an experiment. I now have another one going into my truck. What a great idea, won't be without one niw.

You might want to check this one out.

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
rickeoni wrote:

Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.