cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard to Pick a tire for TT

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
I have asked general questions before on tires. It is easy to confuse me with all of the symbols and codes...I currently have:

Radial ST 225/75 R15D (F-108)? They are 6 years old and we are headed out this spring on about a 3,000 mile camping trip over the rockies and to the Moab area...I have heard trailer tires need to be replaced every so many years, whetherthey look worn or not.

I am considering replacing them with LT tires.

My Trailer:
GVWR is 7900 lbs.
GAWR (each Axle) is 4,400 lbs.
Max Cargo is 1,460 lbs.

How do I choose the best match in a LT tire. I have tried looking at Tire Rack and michelin sites and it gets pretty confusing. Thanks for your help!
49 REPLIES 49

DarrellQ2001
Explorer
Explorer
Get Goodyear HMG 2020 bias 8 ply tires designed specifically for U-Haul. Tough as heck and a smooth ride. Best tire ever for a trailer in my opinion.

Forgot to mention. If you Google the tire and see a picture of them with "mud tire" looking tread, that is not what the tread looks like.The tread looks like any other trailer tire tread.

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
sgrizzle wrote:
Is this tire comparable to the Maxxis 8008?

Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire
ST225 /75 R15 117N E1 BSW

Maxxis M8008 ST Radial BS Trailer Tire
ST225 /75 R15 117 E1 BSW

The carlisle is listed at $102.00 per and Maxxis is $199.00 per...

I have a friend that has "had good luck with Carlisle." I was set on ordering the Maxxis, then it sounds like Carlisle sounds like they have improved.

If Maxxis is the best...I don't want a blow-out coming down the mountain!

The new Carlisle RH tires are every bit as good of a tire as the Maxxis tires. Save yourself some money and time and get the Carlisle tires.
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same luck with Maxxis as I've had with these: http://towmaxtires.com/tires/Landing.aspx?application=towmax-product-line Zero problems to date with LR E.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
Is this tire comparable to the Maxxis 8008?

Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire
ST225 /75 R15 117N E1 BSW

Maxxis M8008 ST Radial BS Trailer Tire
ST225 /75 R15 117 E1 BSW

The carlisle is listed at $102.00 per and Maxxis is $199.00 per...

I have a friend that has "had good luck with Carlisle." I was set on ordering the Maxxis, then it sounds like Carlisle sounds like they have improved.

If Maxxis is the best...I don't want a blow-out coming down the mountain!

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
People bash Carlisle because they have a long history of making lousy ST tires that were problematic. I had 2 Carlisle blowouts in less than 2000 miles. A 3rd tire blew the tread completely off although the airbag still held air. This was about 11 years ago. At the time I couldn't find many with Carlisles that were problem free. Their new ST's do indeed have decent reviews and people seem happy with them. But why bother when the Maxxis have a longer track record and are about the same price?

Because Maxxis isn't widely available? Is that a good enough reason? Yea-they can be ordered-but those who have blow outs due to the other brands that haven't improved, can't wait 3 to 5 days to get the tires.

I do give you credit Sir, at least you know the tires Carlisle MAKES TODAY are different. There are many who do not educate themselves about what's new. So, they talk about hanging a Carlisle tire for a swing on a tree.......TWENTY YEARS AGO.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
People bash Carlisle because they have a long history of making lousy ST tires that were problematic. I had 2 Carlisle blowouts in less than 2000 miles. A 3rd tire blew the tread completely off although the airbag still held air. This was about 11 years ago. At the time I couldn't find many with Carlisles that were problem free. Their new ST's do indeed have decent reviews and people seem happy with them. But why bother when the Maxxis have a longer track record and are about the same price?
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I have told the posters that come on here and bash Carlisle Tires from an experience they had 20 years ago-how the only use for a Carlisle Tire is for a kids swing, or a wheel barrow wheel. Utter nonsense to think a company can't improve their products.
It seems Carlisle makes a viable ST tire now.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
robrose1 wrote:
I also ran Maxxis tires on my previous rig but I was tired of having to wait for them. I went with the new Carlisle RH E tire and I have been very pleased with them. Buddy has a set on his toyhauler and has about 10k miles on them with no issues.

Its about time for Carlisle to step up with a better ST tire with the new Carlisle RH line.
From their pics on the net they lost that rounded tread/sidewall profile. Hopefully Carlisle has a winner with this tire. Time will tell.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also ran Maxxis tires on my previous rig but I was tired of having to wait for them. I went with the new Carlisle RH E tire and I have been very pleased with them. Buddy has a set on his toyhauler and has about 10k miles on them with no issues.
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:

Discount rarely stocks any Maxxis tires of any size. However, their warehouse does and each dealer can get them in 1-3 days.

Here's the problem with having to order them. If you run into a situation where your tires fail while on the road, you'll be stuck having to replace them with whatever is in stock.

That is the situation I was in when 2 of my Maxxis 8008 LRE's failed. I was able to limp back to Discount but had to replace them with whatever was in stock (Tow master, Yuk). The two other tires also were replace under warranty. All 4 tires were roughly two years old.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
The Maxxis web site list of dealers is not complete. They showed Discount Tire as the only dealers in Georgia. I found Maxxis trailer tires at an independent tire dealer in the little town of Dahlonega. Call your local independent tire shop and ask if they can get you some.
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I'm having a heck of a time finding 14" Maxxis for my boat trailer. According to Maxxis, only Discount Tire handles Maxxis in AZ and there aren't any in stock of any size. What gives?

Discount rarely stocks any Maxxis tires of any size. However, their warehouse does and each dealer can get them in 1-3 days. The dealers stock Carlisle ST tires. I've had several blow outs with Carlisles but that was years ago and their newer tires seem very well rated. Still, I'd opt for the well proven Maxxis. Discount should be able to get them quickly.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
Bill & Kate wrote:
Same raw casting - then drilled for 5 or 6 holes. Casting is probably strong enough for 80 psi - just need more studs to hold the extra weight. If you are only really loaded to the 5 stud weight, the extra pressure probably is OK. Call the manufacturer to be sure .....

That makes sense. I bought 225/15 Load Range D tires, so they are at 65 psi. As loaded, the axles are at 86% of capacity, the wheels are at 70% of capacity, and the tires are at 59% of capacity.
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Same raw casting - then drilled for 5 or 6 holes. Casting is probably strong enough for 80 psi - just need more studs to hold the extra weight. If you are only really loaded to the 5 stud weight, the extra pressure probably is OK. Call the manufacturer to be sure .....
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel