cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have you ever, or would you ever ....

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
Have you or would you ever ... loan your TT/MH to a relative or a friend?

Jules
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS
Let the adventures begin!
80 REPLIES 80

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
peaches&cream wrote:

And I think you are full of it. If you have a RV of any value surly you have Ins. on it. I did not say a thing about loaning your RV to anyone that is not capable of operating it. Who checked you out in your RV and determined you could operate it properly?

My bank account for one thing. I put my money where my mouth speaks. Not so with someone who wants to borrow it.

peaches&cream wrote:
Most of the people I borrow Planes from, I taught them to fly. They feel I will take care of their planes as if it was my own. If not, Ins. will cover the loss. Go blow your smoke somewhere else cause you are making no sense here.

So, you only borrow or loan when you are sure of the borrower's ability to cover the loss. Good for you. All anyone else is saying is that they are not so sure the borrower will cover the cost and that they are not willing to risk their insurance coverage on another person's liability. Most RV owners have taken a great deal of time as well as money setting up their rig. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent dialing in my RV. An insurance company isn't going to compensate me for all that. No way will I lend out my RV on the risk that all my time and efforts, not just to earn the money to buy it, but to outfit it and get it to my level of operability. It's unique and I am not risking that.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
peaches&cream wrote:
I have access to no less than 10 airplanes ranging in value from $25,000 to $500,000. I would look funny refusing to loan a $100,000 RV to these friends.
If I had your friends I would be happy to loan my RV.
Otherwise I prefer to keep my friends rather than have an issue of who pays for a repair.

You must know that not all of us hang with the 1%....

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
jrs1871 wrote:
Peaches, I think you are making way more out of this than people intended. You say you have no problems borrowing from or loaning planes to folks. But you further qualify that by saying that you taught them to fly. Thus that implies a level of training has occurred. Furthermore, most folks don't fly since it is a rather expensive undertaking.
That being said, we have a sizeable investment in our trailer and tow vehicle. Could it be replaced? Yes and it is covered by insurance but that misses the point. RV systems tend to be somewhat unique. Towing is not the same as hopping into your car and hitting the road. So there is the question of liability and the question of damage, unintentional or not. You will note that most that replied they would loan qualified that by only to certain people and in certain circumstances. They have some confidence the borrower would take care of the unit, but the owner would most times take the RV to the site and set it up. I don't see that as being selfish at all, just being prudent.
You wouldn't loan a plane to someone that didn't know how to fly, so why should we loan our RV to someone that is not familiar with all that RVing entails. And there are some people that can destroy a crow bar. Why would I even consider loaning to them.
All this being said, I am in the group of no and no.

Using sensible caution, which I feel anyone would use loaning any product, should suffice. Sure I would not loan my plane to someone not qualified, but I would not classify everyone in that category as some have done. I just cannot believe the posters here do not trust friend and family enough to loan them a product that is Insured and replaceable. Maybe I trust my friends and family more than the posters.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Peaches, I think you are making way more out of this than people intended. You say you have no problems borrowing from or loaning planes to folks. But you further qualify that by saying that you taught them to fly. Thus that implies a level of training has occurred. Furthermore, most folks don't fly since it is a rather expensive undertaking.
That being said, we have a sizeable investment in our trailer and tow vehicle. Could it be replaced? Yes and it is covered by insurance but that misses the point. RV systems tend to be somewhat unique. Towing is not the same as hopping into your car and hitting the road. So there is the question of liability and the question of damage, unintentional or not. You will note that most that replied they would loan qualified that by only to certain people and in certain circumstances. They have some confidence the borrower would take care of the unit, but the owner would most times take the RV to the site and set it up. I don't see that as being selfish at all, just being prudent.
You wouldn't loan a plane to someone that didn't know how to fly, so why should we loan our RV to someone that is not familiar with all that RVing entails. And there are some people that can destroy a crow bar. Why would I even consider loaning to them.
All this being said, I am in the group of no and no.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
It is not a 'ME' complex. It's obvious that most RV'ers understand that handing the keys over to just anyone is irresponsible. Would you turn the keys to your car over to a 16 year old for example? No? Why, how 'ME' of YOU!! How about a motorcycle? Or a classic automobile? Or, how about that airplane? Would you loan out an airplane to someone not qualified to operate it? Same with a huge RV. Most everyone who would ask to borrow an RV haven't a clue about them or they wouldn't be asking in the first place. They would understand that it's not something you can just hop behind the wheel and take off in. Think about drive through banking, fast food or other areas with overhangs. Trying to protect someone from harming themselves and your RV is not being 'ME'.

The other issue is that most people don't treat other folks' stuff as well as it should be treated. We have worked HARD to pay and continue to make payments on a very large investment. Many people do not respect other people's property and will not take any responsibility for it. On the contrary, they could even hold YOU responsible if they were somehow harmed or harmed someone else because they are not careful with what they were entrusted with.

I and others are not willing to assume that level of liability for another. That is not being 'ME'. That is being a responsible adult.

It's so easy to call names to the rest of us when you are obviously rich enough to have access to planes. What is an RV to you if someone trashes it? Clearly not as big a financial risk as it might be to someone else. I think the fact you are rich enough to have planes and friends to borrow planes from says that your are much more ME than any of us.

And I think you are full of it. If you have a RV of any value surly you have Ins. on it. I did not say a thing about loaning your RV to anyone that is not capable of operating it. Who checked you out in your RV and determined you could operate it properly? Most of the people I borrow Planes from, I taught them to fly. They feel I will take care of their planes as if it was my own. If not, Ins. will cover the loss. Go blow your smoke somewhere else cause you are making no sense here.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - but only my dad or brother. My rig is old and pretty much worthless, but it's the liability I'm concerned with. I trust both of them in that regard.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
^^ Well, there you go... "Neither a borrower nor a lender be." (Quote from a looong time ago.) ๐Ÿ™‚

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
Mom (84) just called and we were talking about this. She said that even though her friend has three cars, when Mom has to get her van worked on, she rents a car and doesn't borrow her friend's. We both said that we would never borrow anything like that from someone in fear that we would damage it.

So ... I was raised that way! ๐Ÿ™‚

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never -- and I don't think Bull Rider meant he would rent his to them, I think he means they could go out and rent one from one of the rental companies that rent RV's.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
It is not a 'ME' complex. It's obvious that most RV'ers understand that handing the keys over to just anyone is irresponsible. Would you turn the keys to your car over to a 16 year old for example? No? Why, how 'ME' of YOU!! How about a motorcycle? Or a classic automobile? Or, how about that airplane? Would you loan out an airplane to someone not qualified to operate it? Same with a huge RV. Most everyone who would ask to borrow an RV haven't a clue about them or they wouldn't be asking in the first place. They would understand that it's not something you can just hop behind the wheel and take off in. Think about drive through banking, fast food or other areas with overhangs. Trying to protect someone from harming themselves and your RV is not being 'ME'.

The other issue is that most people don't treat other folks' stuff as well as it should be treated. We have worked HARD to pay and continue to make payments on a very large investment. Many people do not respect other people's property and will not take any responsibility for it. On the contrary, they could even hold YOU responsible if they were somehow harmed or harmed someone else because they are not careful with what they were entrusted with.

I and others are not willing to assume that level of liability for another. That is not being 'ME'. That is being a responsible adult.

It's so easy to call names to the rest of us when you are obviously rich enough to have access to planes. What is an RV to you if someone trashes it? Clearly not as big a financial risk as it might be to someone else. I think the fact you are rich enough to have planes and friends to borrow planes from says that your are much more ME than any of us.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Great example of the ME complex. It's MY RV and I will not share it with anyone or anybody. You would think it cannot be replaced. I hope I never get that attached to a "material" object.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
The concensus then is NO!!! I'm in the NO group too. About the only ones saying yes are those who have used their friends stuff!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Almost every item (this doesn't include Tupperware;)) I've ever lent was returned not as given, assuming it was returned at all.

Since I try to learn from past mistakes, I see no reason to lend items that have the potential of testing or destroying a relationship.

Don't want to be my "friend" anymore? I'll just try to lift my head and suffer through the loss.

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about this some more ... and I think also in my history of working years in the hospitality industry ... I know how most people do not care about things they didn't pay for, or that they don't own.

People trash public restrooms. People pick up ice cream in the grocery, and then for some odder than hell reason, decide they don't want it, and leave it in the bread isle on the shelf next to bagels. People open their car doors and bang into the car next to them, and don't even think about it. I could go on and on.

imadtchmn
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes it's better to not have loaned, than to have arguments about the damage.

No and no.
1998 Chevy 6.5 TB Dually maxed out for power
2004 Dutchmen Classic 33RLK
DH George
DW Sherry
Dog Lady