cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to move on.

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
My other half (not necessarily better or worse) has decreed that our days of travel via motor home is at an end and pressure is being applied to sell our beloved (by me) Class A. We got into camping in a class A in 1987 and had a grand time. I still believe that there are more great times ahead. There is way to much of North America that I have yet to visit.

What is the next step? What do you go to when your passion has been ripped away? Flower garden? I think not! What are your thoughts for aa life after camping? 😞

Paul & Helen

2002 Winnebago Journey DL:)
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad :C
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco :B, and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.:B
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com
29 REPLIES 29

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I think the older you get the better it is to go to familiar places. I joined a forum that has nice folks with similar interests and since my wife doesn't like road trips I go alone and meet my forum buds twice a year. It works out great going to such a great place and always meeting up with others.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of our days are numbered. I love my wife and family but I'm not going to sit around and babysit grandkids until I die. Go by yourself if you want to is my vote.
Puma 30RKSS

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
In our full time travels we run into quite a few folks who are traveling by themselves. In conversation with some of them the other half, guy or gal didn't want go anymore. So they go themselves. We have talked to several that were camp hosting and the other partner was not along for the ride also.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
She might like cruise ship traveling.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second bumpy's suggestion: Get a Class B van and take some solo trips. Your wife may not mind at all and might enjoy having the house to herself.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Keep the Class A and go without her. Perhaps you'll met someone new. (just kidding)
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
We have talked about "what if" we sold the MH, which we aren't going to do at this time. We would probably rent a pet-friendly cabin in the N. GA or NC mountains for a month or two and just stay there. She might be interested in doing something like that.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a truck camper, two boys, and a dog back in 1979. That might be a good option as I'd have the camper to get away and a pickup truck for around the town. Nothing like a pickup when you need to go to Lowe's or Home Depot.

As for the wife, she's just tired of traveling, doesn't want to drive and stay in motels. will not fly.

Thanks,

Paul & Helen

2002 Winnebago Journey DL:)
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad :C
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco :B, and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.:B
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
That is a tough call. We sold our boat a year ago due to DH having lost all interest in fishing. We had fished together for 35 years, it's what got us together. I still love it. So now instead fishing and instead of playing golf once a month, I am now playing twice a week. Also went and bought me a camaro, convertible for my toy. I refuse to give up camping. It's a tough call. Hopefully you can make the best of it. Good luck! .....no flower garden for me YET! LOL..
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
A half ton truck and a used pop top pickup camper for one could be darn near ideal for back country exploring. I faced the same dilemma this year, except DWs health has forced our exit.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
get a B van and go solo
bumpy

+1

Had a guy give a talk at a photography club I used to belong to. Every summer, he'd take off solo with a small pickup truck pulling a pop-up camper for 2 or 3 months, wandering around and taking awesome photographs. And then go home to be with his wife the remaining months.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you can/should do will depend on the reasoning behind your wife's desire to quit travelling in a class A.

Financial?
Health?
Concern around your (or her) driving abilities?
Wanting to stay close to friends/family?
Tired of being in a motor home with you, or just tired of being in a motorhome in general?

Any of these issues could be addressed in different ways.

Not enough information given to answer your question.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
get a B van and go solo
bumpy

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The cycle of life. A journey we are all on. You are just ahead of me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
How about a car, hotel/motel trips, or maybe fly then rent the car and do the hotel/motel thing. There are also group tours by bus or whatever out there to look into.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect