cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Health issues on the road

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I spent much of today passing yet another kidney stone, at home. I have faced this while camping as well. I'm wondering how others handle health issues while on trips or if the concerns keep you at home. I have a 2 1/2 week trip planned to remote areas of Maine in August and when this happens it makes me question the wisdom of continuing to do trips like this. I'm sure that when I'm feeling normal again I'll forget about it and carry on. I didn't have to get to the ER today but I've had to many times in the past. I pack some good pain killers for emergency but they are getting very careful about prescribing them now. Any advice from others with issues?
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer
19 REPLIES 19

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
I'm 56 now but at 45 had a near fatal bout of congestive heart failure.

What are you using for health insurance?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
don't let the what if's rule your life.

Exactly. There's being prepared and there's being paranoid. I'm 56 now but at 45 had a near fatal bout of congestive heart failure. Doc restricted the altitude I could go to for fear of HAPE (High Altitude Pulmonary Edema) to a max of 3500 feet. Then 5000. Then 7500 not all that long ago. What I never told him is I didn't completely listen to him. Wasn't crazy-stupid but pushed myself a bit. My husband, son and I had a discussion and we decided as a family that worst case scenario I'd go home in a box. It would suck for them but I wouldn't have a clue. I'd rather be in that box than sitting quietly on the couch, wishing. Again, it's prepared vs. paranoid. Go enjoy yourself.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
Great day man hit the road, don't let the what if's rule your life. My wife is 78 and in the 4th stage of kidney failure she's always in pain. I'm 79 I've had two heart attack's we still full time and have fun. just spent some time where we had no phone service.
One of these days will come but we'll keep moving until then.
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the nice things about the USA is we have fairly good to excellent hospitals dang near EVERYWHERE. And many walk-in Clinics as well.. My Primary happens to double as a walk in clinic (I see Dr. Columbo by appointment but he, or generally his PA's, take walk in.. I credit one of his PA's with the fact I'm sitting here typing instead of pushing up grass in White Chapel by the way. (That's a cemetery folks).

Now what happens if I'm "Stuck" a thousand miles from home?.. I get a back up health care plan in palace and I did

What happens if I have an EMERGENCY health wise a thousand miles from home?

Well.. First there is the ambulance trip to ye-old-body shop (hospital) Now, odds are my insurance may not pay for all of it.. So if there is any left over billing.. I send it to MASA (Medical Air Services Assc) out of Flordia and they pay it.. Yup, I have the Gold Card.

And if I need "Long term" care.. Well they will send a transport (Ambulance0 to take me to a nearby airport. a private JET to an airport near homne. and another ground transport to the long term care facility..

OH, and a porter to drive the RV home.

What happens if I die? Well the destination of the 2nd ground transport changes..

IN my wife's case. Since we have decided on Creamation, Which I had done near the point of death (easier) MASA paid for my Expenses drivig her "home" (Gas for the RV) .

Was not much (Less than $500) but had I ask they would have flown her ashes to White Chappel.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
One thing no one has mentioned yet is a Satellite Emergency Locator Beacon (SPOT, etc. -- available from REI or other outdoors outfitters).

I thought there were items like this available. I think this is a great idea.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Being retired military and with Medicare as our primary, we don't worry about healthcare while traveling full time.

We both have some long term issues, but they are well controlled.

However like most full timers, our travel plans revolve around being near our doctors twice s year.
The
Sometimes the Lord gives us challenges. After a round of Dr visits near Dallas, we headed west for winter in Southern California. Traveling through Utah in Nov, the wife developed an infection (female UTI). We got her treated at a local hospital ER.

That didn't solve it. So in Las Vegas the USAF admitted her to the Nellis AFB hospital for intense antibiotics. Seemed to clear up. Went on to theSam Diego area for Christmas/ New Years. Infection comeback in early Jan. US Naval Hospital Balboa recommended two options. Plan to stay in San Diego for several months while they worked with her, or take her back to Dallas and her regular doctors.

We went back to Dallas for two months of doctor visits and they found the problem and fixed it.

Our long term plans have always included the possibility that health issues will eventually force us to change plans and likely stop traveling.

But we intend to enjoy traveling as long as we can.

The doctors will be the ones who tell us when we have to stay close to them.

If you have chronic/ long term conditions, your doctor is the person you need to talk to first. Is your health really compatible with your travel plans?

An amazing number of travelers get regular services like blood tests while traveling. The wife's eye surgeon arranged every two month exams / testing with a local doctor while we spent six months volunteering in CT.

I know one fellow who enjoys spending three months in the Rio Grande Valley every winter that last year, he would have someone drive him back to Dallas every two weeks for chemo. Lot of time on the road and costs, but he enjoys the time in the RVG.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
What good is a health insurance plan if it will not cover you when traveling? I thought most did extend coverage beyond the state one lives in.....why?.....because people travel.

If you're not on Medicare, then depending on your plan, you may only have access to Emergency Room services when you're out of your home state. Even in this case, you may have a sizeable ER deductible.

Other plans may require you to pay some or most of any out-of-network services you use.

Still other plans have nationwide networks you can use so that you won't have to use out-of-network services.

ken56 wrote:

I am fortunate to have a good plan . . .

How do you know that?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Try moving to -or asking in- the....

"RVing With Disabilities and General Health Issues" Forum

๐Ÿ˜‰

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I hadn't heard of the satellite beacon, great idea. Thanks.
Not my first stone. Many over the years but this is the third this year, they don't usually come so close together.
2017 Honda Ridgeline

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
One thing no one has mentioned yet is a Satellite Emergency Locator Beacon (SPOT, etc. -- available from REI or other outdoors outfitters).

That's a single button push that can bring emergency help. Since it's using a satellite phone, rather than cellular, it can get you service out in the boonies.

Having had 3 stones myself, I feel for you, my friend. But, unless they found "gravel" (multiple small stones) in your bladder, passing one stone doesn't necessarily mean that you're immediately going to pass another one.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 74 have an artificial heart valve and pacemaker and I share your concerns about illness on the road but I'm really pretty fit and active. Before I got the heart valve my cardiologist really didn't like our remote locations. I guess my biggest worry is getting real ill or dying on the road and leaving my wife to cope. However, I don't like the alternative; that is, selling the motor home and just staying home. Old age will force that eventually but worry will not. Really, medical help is never too far away with a cell phone so we're not staying home at this point.
Jayco-noslide

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't an insurance coverage question, I'm covered. It's being where there is no cell service, no close emergency facility, and camping alone. Like a couple of people commented, mostly I'm apt to just do it - you can't worry about whether or not these things happen, but then when I've just been through it I start to wonder if I should give up the remote camping and just play safe and stay closer to civilization.
2017 Honda Ridgeline

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend that only travels by car. They don't travel anymore because of a health issue will on vacation. Nothing to do with RVing. Myself, I had two feinting spells because of low blood pressure. ER Doctor said no more driving until I got a pace maker. 2000 miles from home and my wife drove the whole way. You do what you have to do.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Most health insurance policies include ER and sometimes urgent care coverage anywhere in the US. And many have provisions for "out of plan" coverage, usually at higher co-pays. Out of the country coverage can be dicey though...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate