Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hijackers and Weight distribution hitches

robotworks
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I have installed a set of Gabriel Hijackers on my 98 Yukon and set them up for 150 PSI. I did this when I was using a normal tongue hitch system. I have since gone to a weight distribution hitch (8000 lbs) and read that when setting it up, you should decrease the air in the shocks to the minimum (25 psi). I didn't. I am towing an approximately 5000 lb trailer.
Truck rides level, handles great (the reason for going to weight distribution), no sway, no issues as far as I know. Just need to hear from the experts here what I am violating running 150 PSI shocks with a WD hitch system.
Thanks,
tim in san jose
8 REPLIES 8

robotworks
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Watch them...blew mine out on my 1970 FJ40 while up in the Idaho Panhandle

What normally was a 3-4 hour trek back to pavement turned into a +3 day ordeal of constantly stuffing logs between the rear axle tube and frame as they came off or pulverized to sawdust. Held in there with bailing wire (why my 4x4 tool box has tons of stuff).

In my 20's and still in college working three part time jobs +odd jobs...so thought I knew EVERYTHING. Dick Cepek told me: "kid, they will blow out out there while 4x4'ing"...put in a proper lift kit (which back then, were not very good)...just about everything Dick warned me...became true...miss that guy a lot

Thanks for the advice. This Yukon never sees 4WD territory. The only time I have used it was in an early November snowstorm up in Yosemite. And yes, in our 20's, we knew everything.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Watch them...blew mine out on my 1970 FJ40 while up in the Idaho Panhandle

What normally was a 3-4 hour trek back to pavement turned into a +3 day ordeal of constantly stuffing logs between the rear axle tube and frame as they came off or pulverized to sawdust. Held in there with bailing wire (why my 4x4 tool box has tons of stuff).

In my 20's and still in college working three part time jobs +odd jobs...so thought I knew EVERYTHING. Dick Cepek told me: "kid, they will blow out out there while 4x4'ing"...put in a proper lift kit (which back then, were not very good)...just about everything Dick warned me...became true...miss that guy a lot
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
You set up the WDH with 150psi in the bags? Seems odd. That much pressure in the bags would not typically result in rear end sag that the WDH uses to tranfer weight back to the front end.

No rear end drop before the WDH is applied, the result is little to no weight transfer.

But if you're comfortable with it on the road...that's really all that matters in this case.

robotworks
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
Can't argue with success! Which hitch did you get?

Curt 800 Tw Round Bar Wd. I wasn't comfortable with the 600lb one. Best $275.00 I spent so far.

robotworks
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Are the shock mounts made to carry the weight and loads of the vehicle plus the weight added from the trailer?

Good question.

Yukon was designed for max 5500 lbs towing (tongue hitch). The Shadow Cruiser weighs in at 4340 dry weight. The tongue weight is 560. So we were right at the edge with a tongue hitch setup. I put the Hijackers in not to increase the weight capabilities but to help even out the back front ride height. And it did to a point. The steering was still a little squirmy. That is why I invested in the WDH. It handles extremely well now, the height difference between unhitched and hitched is less than 1/2 inch both front and back center line of the wheel wells. i was just wondering if I was violating something in keeping the pressre at 150PSI in the Hijackers with the WDH. The max tongue weight with WDH is 825 so I am well below that, max trailer weight is 5500 lbs so as long as I keep the GF from going overboard on luggage, we should be good with that too.
thanks,
t

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Are the shock mounts made to carry the weight and loads of the vehicle plus the weight added from the trailer?

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If it works, go with it. I used to tow with a 3/4 ton GMC conversion van (heavy) that had air shocks when I bought it. It was OK, but always seemed a little bouncy. I changed to a heavy duty coil over shock, and it was much better. I do think the air shocks prevented the WD from transferring as much weight as it normally would.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Can't argue with success! Which hitch did you get?
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'