cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Holding Tank cleaning GEO Method

Henry
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried the GEO Method of cleaning the grey and black holding tanks? 1-cup Blue Dawn 1-cup Calgon water softner?
I've been RVing for over 40yrs and have never had tank level gauge's that work more than a couple years.
Henry Holley
Snyder, Texas
2006 Chevy 3500, 6600 DuraMax
2004 Cardinal 33TS
20 REPLIES 20

Henry
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:
I have also been wanting to try this, but can't find the Calgon Water Softener anywhere, we have soft water where I live, but I also shopped for it everytime we went into a store for supplies on our recent month long 4,200 mile loop to Wyoming.

I found some at our walmart
Henry Holley
Snyder, Texas
2006 Chevy 3500, 6600 DuraMax
2004 Cardinal 33TS

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have had a septic system for our homes for most of our 60 years of married life. My wife washes clothes about every other day and has been using bleach in the wash for all of those 60 years. We have never had a single problem with our septic tanks or fields.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
PLEASE Do Not use bleach! It kills all the bacteria in septic systems. Even an ounce in 5 gallons of water is devastating to the digestive bacteria in septic systems.

It's not a "septic system", it's a holding tank....

Don't some campgrounds have septic systems? Don't you empty your holding tank into the park's system? ๐Ÿ™‚

Good point, but bleach has been going to septic systems throughout the country for longer than I've been alive. If it were really a problem, some over-reaching government agency would have banned it long ago.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are wasting money on the Calgon softener. You can use the cheapest stuff you can find and it works just fine. I buy the powder at WinCo and dissolve it in a bowl of warm water and then dump it in the tank. Cost is about $3.00

I also use the cheapest liquid detergent I can find

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
PLEASE Do Not use bleach! It kills all the bacteria in septic systems. Even an ounce in 5 gallons of water is devastating to the digestive bacteria in septic systems.

It's not a "septic system", it's a holding tank....

Don't some campgrounds have septic systems? Don't you empty your holding tank into the park's system? ๐Ÿ™‚
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
The see-through black tank experiments:

Clicky

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer

It's not a "septic system", it's a holding tank. The stuff is (hopefully) not going to be in there long enough for the bacteria to do any good. I don't use bleach because I don't like the smell and there are better alternatives.

What you don't want to use is the tank deodorizers that contain formaldehyde. It builds up after a while and is probably the biggest reason tank sensors stick.
Jerry & Jeanne

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
deleted post
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you Flush and it "Burps" time to dump.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
I do the Geo method a couple of times a year, once a month when I was on the road. 1 cup blue Dawn, 1 cup Calgon liquid water softener, 2 buckets (about 5 gallons) of water between campgrounds. I'm also not too fussy about whether the probes work or not.I can look down into thew black tank to see where the level is.

Great thing about most all RV pots is you can open the dump valve and have a look-see if it's getting full or not....and it it's too full, you know as well....:D
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have been using the Geo method for a number of years now and it works. We just switched to Dawn from laundry detergent and will see how that does. Probably put too much in, doubt that wife measured it.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is cheaper at Walmart - when you can find it. It's not at my local store so I would need to pay shipping.
Jerry & Jeanne

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I generally get it at Wally World also. You just have to hunt for it. Look in the Look in the Laundry Soap/Fabric Sofener area, normally when I find it I buy four or five bottles.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint