cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Holtville LTVA fire

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had some real excitement here at the Holtville LTVA last night.

Around midnight I heard some gravel shuffling, some talking and somebody calling for me. I opened the door to find a man walking in circles around my lot saying "My place is on fire." Oh yeah. I called the fire dept. Good thing the wind was blowing away from me.. the vegetation is dry as tinder. Poor man, I'm thinking this is his home.

This morning I saw his cat. Yeah, he left his cat here. Sure hope he comes back for it.

This is what's left:

I heard someone say the fire started in the engine. That's all I know.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
16 REPLIES 16

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some years ago I proposed that in areas like the tinder dry west, for remote cabins or any other structure a watering, if you will fire fighting system or spray system on the home and out around the home. Read a few years later that some were doing it. A water source: a pool, a stream or pond and of course any municipal water liens, if there are any, which would be stressed in a wildfire.
They have commercial sprayers designed for this or at least fit the bill. Not plastic or flimsy built, designed to last decades. In one article they discussed how they had hidden metal lines to the roof, placement of the sprinklers and how far they would spray and coverage of area. The walls of the house or cabin also had sprayers directed at some of the fro the ground that also covered the yard, or part of it, and clearing the yard of trees that had a fall lien to close to the home.Water pumps with plenty of capacity and pressure..and power generators, in enclosure secure from any firestorm. A lot of trouble, read expense, but well worth it if it saves a huge investment and your home.
You wold think People out west would be smart enough to have come up with this kind of idea decades ago and that it would be in widespread use, but apparently it is not!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
CharlesinGA wrote:
Do something with the cat, it won't last long out there. He can go and get it later.
Yes.

I gave him cat food, some dishes and bed. Those items were gone the next day when I left, so I'm going to assume he took them and kitty to where he's temporarily staying. I doubt coyotes packed it all up and took kitty as a pet.

I had to get out of there because the fire damage was starting to stink.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
The latest information I have on this fire is that the man was using an electric heater, powered from an inverter, powered from an oversize alternator powered by engine idling.

I'm not sure what component actually failed, but since he said the fire started in the engine, I'm thinking it was either the alternator itself or the wiring. It takes a lot of amps to run a heater, and over time that gets dangerous. If it was a cheap inverter, that's also suspect. I've seen cheapo inverters get hot running the smallest of loads.

I don't know if anyone here is doing that, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Redneck engineering. Not good. People need to do things properly or do do it at all.

Glad to see the man and the cat are OK. The van can be replaced.

Do something with the cat, it won't last long out there. He can go and get it later.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
The poor guy is probably in shock and doesn't know what to do. Is there some local authority that might put him in touch with some help? Red Cross? Veterans association? He may just not know what to do.
Red cross has been here, and he's been getting a lot of help from us in here. I think his problem is he's broke, a big factor in not knowing what to do.

I feel like just going and getting the cat myself and taking it to a shelter. He's not making any decisions at all, and in the meantime this poor thing is left outside in the cold and there's coyotes here.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Crowe wrote:
If it were me I would make sure the cat stays OK or find temporary shelter for it. The cat may be all he has left.
And that's another sad part. It's cold here at night, and the guy is just lost and bewildered and is leaving the cat outside at the burn site. I gave him enough money to get a tent and a heater but he's not doing anything. I'd take the cat but I have one already.

I may offer to take cat to a local shelter. Breaks my heart to see what's happening here.

The poor guy is probably in shock and doesn't know what to do. Is there some local authority that might put him in touch with some help? Red Cross? Veterans association? He may just not know what to do.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
If it were me I would make sure the cat stays OK or find temporary shelter for it. The cat may be all he has left.
And that's another sad part. It's cold here at night, and the guy is just lost and bewildered and is leaving the cat outside at the burn site. I gave him enough money to get a tent and a heater but he's not doing anything. I'd take the cat but I have one already.

I may offer to take cat to a local shelter. Breaks my heart to see what's happening here.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Glad the cat is OK.. ...pets allowed. costs me 20/month but .. Hey. he's worth it.
Yeah, they are worth it. My cat has changed my camping style completely, but it is worth it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad the cat is OK.. one of the considerations when I moved from the RV life to apartment living due to a Semi driver not liking my RV (he hit it) was pets allowed. costs me 20/month but .. Hey. he's worth it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The latest information I have on this fire is that the man was using an electric heater, powered from an inverter, powered from an oversize alternator powered by engine idling.

I'm not sure what component actually failed, but since he said the fire started in the engine, I'm thinking it was either the alternator itself or the wiring. It takes a lot of amps to run a heater, and over time that gets dangerous. If it was a cheap inverter, that's also suspect. I've seen cheapo inverters get hot running the smallest of loads.

I don't know if anyone here is doing that, but I wouldn't recommend it.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
Glad kitty is OK and glad he has insurance.
Yes, it's especially hard when animals are involved.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
He came back this morning. Spent the night on neighbor's floor. Cat is ok, I gave owner more cat food and some money. Other campers here helping too.

Devastating for this poor fella I'm sure. According to a neighbor he does have insurance, so that's a relief.

Glad kitty is OK and glad he has insurance. It's still tough to handle, though. Happy to see the GOOD side of people.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
He came back this morning. Spent the night on neighbor's floor. Cat is ok, I gave owner more cat food and some money. Other campers here helping too.

Devastating for this poor fella I'm sure. According to a neighbor he does have insurance, so that's a relief.

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad no one was injured, including the cat!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Poor fellar. Living in a van, then it burns. Horrible. Hope he perserveres!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold