cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home domicile and insurance for full timing

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I just contacted a SF insur company, because that's who I'm insured with now, in FL to inquire about getting insur on everything because of using FL as my home base with a mail service. I was informed that if I plan on living in my rv full time they could not insure my rv as per a FL law...thinking now about looking back up north at SD. Has anyone had the same issue with full timing and the insur in FL??
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP
21 REPLIES 21

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins: Do you have full-timer coverage for the belongings you carry? I assume you're carrying everything with you if you're full-time.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
We are full time but still own a home. The RV is just added to the truck policy. Up to 100K coverage for around $225 every 6 mo.

That's interesting Cummins, didn't realize anyone would do that, whos your insur carrier if you don't mind me asking??
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
2018 Raptor 428SP

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are full time but still own a home. The RV is just added to the truck policy. Up to 100K coverage for around $225 every 6 mo.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NWKomfort350
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently full timing. Insurance through Foremost.
Chris & Stephanie
2 kids - 1 boy / 1 girl
Winston (boxer)
2016 Open Range Roamer 367BHS
13 F350 6.7 CREW LONG BED SRW
B & W Patriot

02 F350 7.3 SC LB SRW - SOLD
2014 Keystone Cougar 281BHS - SOLD

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
avan wrote:
Can't resist. OP, why post this in Gen'l RVing as opposed to the FTer forum?

Not sure, thought about that after I posted...have gotten good answers here though.
Thanks everyone for great responses, guess I'll check with a different company.

Try an agency like Miller Insurance.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
avan wrote:

Not sure, thought about that after I posted...have gotten good answers here though.
Thanks everyone for great responses, guess I'll check with a different company.
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
To the best of my knowledge State Farm doesn't actually insure RV's - they offer it as a convenience to home owners but actually contract the insurance out to another vendor. It tends to be invisible to RV owner until he has a problem or drops his homeowners insurance.

I currently have insur on 2 RVs with SF now, living with sweetie in her home but I also have renters insur to cover my stuff, maybe that's the reason they are covering my RVs...not sure.
2018 Raptor 428SP

avan
Explorer
Explorer
www.putt10.net

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
To the best of my knowledge State Farm doesn't actually insure RV's - they offer it as a convenience to home owners but actually contract the insurance out to another vendor. It tends to be invisible to RV owner until he has a problem or drops his homeowners insurance.

^^^^^ This.

I was a longtime SF customer (over 30 years now and still am other than RV and airplane) and had an unfortunate RV incident involving a parking accident. The quote for repair was $500 more than the deductible and after going through hoops and finding out that the adjuster worked for Brand X, with a different set of standards for adjustment than SF, I decided it just wasn't worth it and paid the repair myself and never filed a claim.

I believe that SF subcontracting the coverage out didn't necessarily mean that one had less actual coverage, but the hoop-jumping increased geometrically. Dropped RV coverage from SF and went with Progressive for RV coverage for the last two years of owning the RV.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
"Your problem is State Farm just doesn't have that type of coverage.
Ins. Company issue NOT FL State restriction"

This is correct.

You should avoid like the plague, anyone who says there's some kind of Florida Law that stops them from insuring you. No such law exists. They probably just don't offer full timer insurance (or know what it is).

I fulltime and have Florida as my domicile. I also have National Interstate through Miller Insurance in Oregon. Both Miller Insurance and National Interstate are very 'fulltimer' friendly. Give Miller a call.

No matter where you go, make sure they understand you will be a 'full timer'.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
National Interstate Ins.

Just goggle and find a broker (Explorer RV, Millers etc)

They have real FT Ins Policies........same as S&B Plus the RV

Great Company, great customer service----great pricing overall

We had 2 claims----1 minor/1 MAJOR Both handled quickly, efficiently, no fuss-no muss and no MAJOR change on premiums.

Your problem is State Farm just doesn't have that type of coverage.
Ins. Company issue NOT FL State restriction

Check out National Interstate Ins.--------Done Deal.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Florida address and residency and are full time with no other residence. We have full time insurance through Progressive. We just filled out what we wanted on their website, got a price we thought was fair, and have been using them ever since. There is no Florida law against fulltiming or insuring fulltimers. I would avoid that insurance agent.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Progressive also insures fulltimers...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System