cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honest RV Dealers - Are there any?

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
In my area of Florida there are about 4 or 5 RV dealers that I have heard about. None of what I have heard is very assuring. Of course I have never heard anything assuring about automobile dealers either. The dealers that I have heard having negative opinions expressed in my area, Ocala, Florida, is Tri-Am, Optimum, General, Camping World, and Lazydays in the Tampa area. As such, it would be helpful to hear from folks that have purchased either a new or used motor home from a dealer in the north central to northern area of Florida that you were satisfied with; Ocala, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota, etc. Would even be willing to go further south or north to southern Georgia.

Another thought brings me to the manufacturer. Is it possible to drive to the manufacturer's plant and purchase direct? Can one save any money doing the purchase this way?

Once again, thanks for any and all info provided.

My Best, ๐Ÿ˜„

Dave
28 REPLIES 28

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
We purchased our camper at RV World in Lakeland on Rt 98 near I-4. That was 7 years ago, but we were very happy with them at the time of sale and for a few service appointments. I wouldn't hesitate to give them another shot if I were looking.

Gerzeny's RV World - Lakeland

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
It was quite the process when we purchased our current trailer (Winnebago Minnie Plus 27RLTS 5th wheel) 2 1/2 years ago now. We did most of our research online and finally zeroed in on this model as the ONE that met all but one of our non-negotiable criteria. Then we started an extensive online search for dealers that carried this model. We found several around the country and were willing to travel for the right deal. In the end, it came down to three -- one in our local area and two in neighboring states within a half-days drive. All were small local dealers. We visited our local dealer (who actually didn't have this model in stock; we would have had to order) to just confirm that we liked the brand in terms of build quality, space, etc. The unit we ended up buying was one that hadn't been claimed by any of the larger dealers for their lots, so was just sitting at the factory. All three of the dealers we were trying to work with were basically bidding on that same trailer. In the end, we went with the dealer in a neighboring state. Just a "one-guy" shop. He gave us a great price on the trailer, sent one of his employees to Indiana to get it, agreed to switch out the tires for better ones before we even took it off the lot; and gave us a phenomenal trade value on the travel trailer we traded in. There were no "extra" or "add-on" kinds of fees -- just a straightforward "out-the-door" deal. He doesn't deal with financing, so we had pre-arranged our own, so it was also a very clean deal that way. I don't think we could have gotten a better deal or service. And, we purchased this unit totally sight unseen. We made the deal purely through telephone and e-mail. We never saw it before we went to pick it up. We have only taken it back for service twice and those were fairly minor issues which were dealt with the same day and the dealer has been more than willing to talk through other situations over the phone and teach my husband how to fix things himself.

So, I think the answer to the OP's question is that yes, there are honest dealers, but you do have to do your research to find them. Know what you want

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have been RVing since September of 1969 with TTs, pop-ups and A,B,&C motorhomes. I just bought my 3rd motorhome (used) from General RV. For me service has been great, which is why I keep going back. My salesman moves from Grand Rapids area to Ocala for winters. Jeff. This is probably my last MH purchase since I am 82 years old now.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Google reviews are very helpful. RvDirect (now RVONE I think) are about as close as I have ever gotten to a wholesale direct to buyer. They are a dealer but usually you have to know what you want and order. I've never bought anything from them but when shopping I found them to have the best deal up front and could pit other dealers against that number. They don't carry all brands and models.

Ever notice they (RVOne) do not use the word "wholesale" in any of their advertising? Thats because its illegal to use in the states they have a presence in.

One of the few states where that word can be used willy nilly is Ohio, which is why RV Wholesalers and Jeff Couch can use it in their advertising. Nothing really wholesale with them, they are just dealers the same as any other. The percieved lower prices simply reflect being close to the factories and less delivery costs. RV wholesalers pick their units up themselves at the factories. Take delivery cost out of the equation and any dealer could hit the same numbers if they cared to.

IMO 99% of anyone in the RV Industry be it manufacturers, suppliers, or dealers, are low life bottom feeders and would sell their grandmother to make a buck.

Bottom feeders also equates with car dealers. All of them should be put in jail for crimes against humanity. Finance managers should be tortured first by having to listen to their lies and propaganda 24 hours a day straight with no sleep. Had a good friend who advanced from salesman to finance manager in a local dealership. Was making good money and benefits. Was let go after 1 year as he refused to con people and take advantage of them. The stories he tells.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
...IMO 99% of anyone in the RV Industry be it manufacturers, suppliers, or dealers, are low life bottom feeders and would sell their grandmother to make a buck.
If you don't make a buck you're not going to be in business very long.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Google reviews are very helpful. RvDirect (now RVONE I think) are about as close as I have ever gotten to a wholesale direct to buyer. They are a dealer but usually you have to know what you want and order. I've never bought anything from them but when shopping I found them to have the best deal up front and could pit other dealers against that number. They don't carry all brands and models.

Ever notice they (RVOne) do not use the word "wholesale" in any of their advertising? Thats because its illegal to use in the states they have a presence in.

One of the few states where that word can be used willy nilly is Ohio, which is why RV Wholesalers and Jeff Couch can use it in their advertising. Nothing really wholesale with them, they are just dealers the same as any other. The percieved lower prices simply reflect being close to the factories and less delivery costs. RV wholesalers pick their units up themselves at the factories. Take delivery cost out of the equation and any dealer could hit the same numbers if they cared to.

IMO 99% of anyone in the RV Industry be it manufacturers, suppliers, or dealers, are low life bottom feeders and would sell their grandmother to make a buck.

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
Black Diamond RV, Marion, IL.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
In my experience there's also a split personality with most dealers, where even if things went perfectly during the sale & PDI, the warranty service is absolutely hellish. My warranty experience from my last dealer was enough to swear I'll never do business with them again (suck it, Giant RV). It took them a full 20 months to finally complete the checklist of items identified during our 12 month warranty period.

One of the happiest life-changes for me was hiring a local mobile tech to come fix things instead of driving 90 minutes to the dealer and having them lie to me about how long they'll keep the coach for repairs. I'd rather pay a tech out of pocket to have things fixed immediately and correctly than to continue to pay the loan and storage for an RV that I can't use.

I had to pay for some of those warranty repairs to be redone correctly, but at least my guy fixed them right and fixed them correctly.

Did I mention how much I dislike Giant RV?

IMO - Giant RV in So CA ??

So. CA is chock full of dealers who have an ample supply of "walk-ins"
who want to buy it *NOW* !! (RVing / camping year round).

So....My last RV was a Jayco 5th wheel (before Jayco went Thor).
Jayco had a factory site listing all the prices for everything and anything (options).
Also, there is/was an "RV Wholesalers" in the US, who discounted those prices - only catch, you had to drive across country and pick it up.

Being well aware of the sales pitches, etc., etc. in So. CA - I e-mailed several (many) dealers all over the US - including: I was ready to "travel" for the best deal (ordering the 5th).

Drove about a thousand miles to purchase the 5th I ordered from Marden's RV in Montana. Went without a hitch (no pun). Had a two year factory warranty - which I never needed.

The PDI was done by a local mobile service. Stayed overnight on their lot, then a week at a local campground. Had an occasion to call the mobile serviced for (what I thought was a problem - it wasn't). They came out to the campground and showed me *my* operator error.

Marden's started way back when by the current owners father. It was just a "sideline" during the warm months.

Would I buy from them again? - Absolutely!!

I'll relate some of my experiences by/from/with dealers in So CA in another post. Some are humorous.....like the salesman I happened to ask for a brochure at the Pomona RV show on year. Had to show *him* where they were - he admitted it was his first day on the job.

Might add - when I was looking at floor plans at RV shows, the best way to *not* be bothered by salespeople: Be by yourself, tell them you are bringing the wife to the show the next day. If you need to "sign in" (really!!) - pick your best phony name, like Chuck Roast or?
List the business number for some business WalMart, Target, etc. as your home phone.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, the more comfortable you are, and the more you appear to know about what you're looking for, and what you are willing to pay for it, (what it should sell for) the more honesty you'll likely get from whoever you deal with.

IMO, it's really a game where both parties are trying to get the best deal, . . . . . for themselves. Salespeople will say ANYTHING until you call their bluff. As a buyer, as soon as you do that, the better. (for you) If you don't, . . . . well be prepared for what comes next!

Chum lee

dedmiston
In my experience there's also a split personality with most dealers, where even if things went perfectly during the sale & PDI, the warranty service is absolutely hellish. My warranty experience from my last dealer was enough to swear I'll never do business with them again (suck it, Giant RV). It took them a full 20 months to finally complete the checklist of items identified during our 12 month warranty period.

One of the happiest life-changes for me was hiring a local mobile tech to come fix things instead of driving 90 minutes to the dealer and having them lie to me about how long they'll keep the coach for repairs. I'd rather pay a tech out of pocket to have things fixed immediately and correctly than to continue to pay the loan and storage for an RV that I can't use.

I had to pay for some of those warranty repairs to be redone correctly, but at least my guy fixed them right and fixed them correctly.

Did I mention how much I dislike Giant RV?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my first new RV from House of Camping, near Chicago. They are a family owned dealership and treated me fair and square. no hidden fees or bait and switch stuff. highly recommend them.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a TT from a highly rated dealership... and have run into lie after lie after lie. So even ratings don't always help

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have looked at a motorhome at Bankston RV in Huntsville, AL. I knew what I was doing, and they did not try to snow me or sell me something I was not interested in. I didn't buy because everything they had was bigger than what I wanted, but I would have bought from them if they had anything that was right for me.

Bankston is a large multi-location regional dealer and well-established. I would say that their advertised prices are not the lowest but not the highest either. I didn't get to the point of talking money so don't know how flexible they are.

Their google reviews are generally positive and everyone I dealt with was efficient and polite, and didn't talk down to me because I was a woman by myself.

Youngblood RV in Mayfield KY (and other locations) also seems pretty good. I know multiple people who are repeat customers, which says a lot. Again a well established local but not mom/pop outfit.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Our worst experience was our first purchase at a "Mom and Pop" type dealer. We were total newbies and they could sense that and took advantage. The year after our purchase they were bought by Lazy Days and their service department was fine there, just slow like all around here. Our second purchase was at a larger, regional dealer that has a few locations in our state. Our salesman was great, he had 20+ years of experience in the service department so he was very knowledgable, and even gave us his cell phone to call him after our purchase was complete with any questions. Their service department was also slow, but again, they all are in our area due to the high demand and lack of workers. Our recent purchase was at Lazy Days and it was fine. We knew more about the rig we were buying than the salesman did as we had done extensive research prior to purchasing, but that didn't bother us. In the end, we got the rig we wanted, at a price we were happy with.

Moral of the story? Do your own research, and just use the salesman as your final stop. Oh and don't go to Camping World ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor