cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot in the NW!

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I just returned from Alaska & BC yesterday and am staying here in Kettle Falls, WA, where it is a sweltering 104 degrees! Had planned to stay at Canyon Creek NFS campground--even selected a campsite there and backed into it---but the heat, even in the shade and with the fan on full blast, was just too much. I had to resort to an RV park with electricity so I could use the A/C. Kind of a shock to my system. ๐Ÿ˜„
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8
31 REPLIES 31

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Yakima this weekend for a car show. It was 106 and we were in a hot rod with no AC. The heat got to all of us except for one couple who actually ate dinner outside Miner's instead of opting for indoor dining with AC like the rest of us. :C
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Much much nicer on Sunday in Portland. Almost cool, though the humidity was up.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
At 08:00 here in our Anacortes neighborhood, visibility is about 1/4 mile in fog and the temp is 51 F.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

revump
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - hot ... avoiding steep grades
Bob

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Yes it's been hot here in Southern BC, too. We have had only about 10% of our normal rainfall since May and as a result have a complete sprinkling ban on lawns. Oh well, at least I don't have to cut it now!

No complaining, though because we will be in to our 4-5 months of rain before we know it!

Hopefully the Washington fires get under control because we are planning on doing the Cascade Loop later this month.

You will give the RAM a nice workout on HWY 20. Even HWY2 has a couple nice grades.

Uh oh, should I be looking to get that "weak" head gasket addressed before we go? ๐Ÿ˜‰

We are really looking forward to it. We did the North Cascades about 15 years ago but have never done the South Cascade run. Not to hijack the thread but if there are any sights we should see please feel free to PM me.

Yes give it a couple extra turns for good measure!

Posts always get sidetracked! It's still about the NW.

I like going East on HWY 2 the Town of Leavenworth is a great little tourist trap. From there Lake Chelan is very nice and on to Winthrop. I like going West on HWY 20 the grade is very steep I think I pulled it at with er 42 or 44 mph with the 11 RAM and 07 MS and on the big corner had to slow down then continue up the long grade. Lots of beautiful scenery along the entire trip. The Dam at Newhalem has a tour, at least it used to. Back to HWY 2 the scenery along the Wenatchee river is awesome.

Take your time there are a lot of places to shop and just enjoy the scenery.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
State highways has done a lot of mods to SR-20 over the last 5 years and it isn't a big deal these days. We much preferred it over the narrow, winding US-2 with all the big rigs and the steep drops to the river going east-bound. DW wasn't comfortable being on the edge of the drop-offs.

Sure, the top of Washington pass is 1000' or more higher than Stevens, and it might be an issue if your rig has a carburetor engine. Maybe the fact that we live out at the west end of the SR-20 spur in Anacortes colors our judgement a bit!
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Yes it's been hot here in Southern BC, too. We have had only about 10% of our normal rainfall since May and as a result have a complete sprinkling ban on lawns. Oh well, at least I don't have to cut it now!

No complaining, though because we will be in to our 4-5 months of rain before we know it!

Hopefully the Washington fires get under control because we are planning on doing the Cascade Loop later this month.

You will give the RAM a nice workout on HWY 20. Even HWY2 has a couple nice grades.

Uh oh, should I be looking to get that "weak" head gasket addressed before we go? ๐Ÿ˜‰

We are really looking forward to it. We did the North Cascades about 15 years ago but have never done the South Cascade run. Not to hijack the thread but if there are any sights we should see please feel free to PM me.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
My brother just emailed from the Oregon coast, where he lives, and he says its a zoo with all the heat-escaping refugees. Even more a zoo than usual, that is.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's going to be HOT, and smoky in E WA. Evidently yet another fire near Chelan, and all the smoke comes here. It's nasty.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Ol' Yeller:

You should be fine at Deception Pass. In Anacortes yesterday we staggered all the way to 75 degrees. We're on the south side of the ridge which leads to the ferry terminal and across the street from a salt-water marina. Burrows Bay, just to the south, is a remarkably steady cooler. It's (I think) 100 fathoms deep about 3 miles out and the water temp rarely hits 60F.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like weather patterns are changing all over the world. I think it runs in cycles ... about every 7 years, at least in Indiana the hot summers, the cool summers run in cycles. Still ... just imagine and try to remember last winter when everyone was buried under 5 feet of snow! Some even worse! And it was 20 below zero... that's kind of extreme too! I have friends at work that come from India, occasionally have to return, and work from there. They say our temperatures and humidity in the US is nothing compared to what they have to deal with.

Be patient ... winter will be here soon enough.

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just returned from a wonderful 10 days at Grayland Beach State Park. While everyone here was sweltering we basked in the low 70's with our feet often dipped in the cool ocean waters. On Thursday we are heading to Deception Pass. Hopefully it will be cooler there too. I made our reservations last December and luckily I picked a great time to be gone.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!