cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

house batteries

WRBD88
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked my batteries and there is ice in them what can I do ?
Wilma

2003 Monaco Lapalma 34'6"
Workhorse
2006 Saturn SUV Toad
Just us,no kids, no pets
Husband Ret. LTC AF
5 REPLIES 5

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Or South GA or South FL

Seriously if it's just a little ice on top, CHARGE and equalize

If it's iced down into the plates, Remove and come spring take to battery store and exchange.

IF YOU REMOVE.. before you do that take a small can of red spray paint (Testors) and spray the POSITIVE leads.. Optionally use black on the negative leads,, IF you have jumpers between multiple batteries no need to paint those (less they are connected to one of the terminals you are painting)

PHOTOGRAPH Take a picture of the batteries.. Connected,, YOU WILL FORGET somethign.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If the case has bulged, buy new. If not bulged, bring them into a warm area and attempt to charge after thawing.

A fully charged battery will not freeze in NY.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Warm them up until they thaw. Wait an extra 24 hours just to make sure they are fully thawed. Charge at a low rate, then discharge, then recharge, then do an equalizing charge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Do not charge as they tend to explode. That means no starting the RV, plugging it in or running the generator. Warm them with an external power source or bring them inside.

Once they are warm and free of ice you can charge them. For reference check the voltage before you start charging.

Need to find a way to keep them charged or keep them warm or both. Good battery fully charged should not freeze down to at least 80 below.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Frozen battery post
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman