cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House sitting

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
No hits for searching this topic in this forum. We usually travel in the spring and fall seasons. In the past, our daughter has stayed home and watched our home. Next march (I have learned to be proactive) she will will moving out.

Our dilemma: where should we advertise? Craigslist attracts some nice and not so nice people. Is there a website for such a thing, advertising for RV folks to watch our place, care for pets and do some light duty work, like watering greenhouse and garden? Would it appeal to full-timesrs?

Thanks for any help. I have more questions but thought I would throw the main one out first.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog
13 REPLIES 13

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
clikrf8 wrote:
Yes, we will be very careful. Not much family left in area and friends and neighbors have their own plans. I believe that word of mouth with carefully checked references would be our best bet. We would prefer an RVer because we don't want folks living in our home. As far as amenities, there is power (both 110 and 220) and non-potable water (our shallow well comes from an underground stream below a creek). No dump as we have a septic system and county doesn't allow for RV dumping on site. We would allow the use of our shop that would accommodate a large RV of up to 50' if there is such a thing. There are RV parks and a state park nearby for dumping and water. We get our drinking water in 3 gallon jugs from a dispensary at a local grocery store.

We live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with city and county parks nearby. There are also miles of trails in the park across the road and 3000 acres of private land just a short walk away up the road. We are 5 miles from town on 6 wooded acres.

I believe there would be full-time RVers who would welcome the chance to take a break from their travels for 3-4 week periods. It would be like hosting a campground but no people and no toilets to clean (just a litter box, lol).

We still have a few months so will ask folks we meet on our upcoming trips. Thanks for all your suggestions and I am so sorry about some of your experiences.
I can't imagine that would be an attractive "opportunity" for anyone unless there is substantial pay involved. No water and no dump facilities would be a deal breaker for 99.99% of people since there is no tremendous draw (i.e. the job is in a secluded national forest setting). To park on someone's property, clean up after cats, having to drive and pay to get drinking water and drain your tanks is a job that would require pay, it is not an opportunity to cut costs while traveling the country.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know how large of a city your location is, but you may consider going to the local police department. Many times a new probationary officer is new to the community and would be a really good house sitter. Starting pay isn't very good during the first year usually so you would be doing a very good community service.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Fleetwood_Coupl
Explorer
Explorer
We might be interested in house sitting for you..I just retired from the Navy and I am retiring to the area, from Wenatchee originaly. I will send you a PM
2006 Fleetwood Expedition 38n
300 Cat Engine (MP-8 Performance Module)
Retired US Navy SCPO

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we will be very careful. Not much family left in area and friends and neighbors have their own plans. I believe that word of mouth with carefully checked references would be our best bet. We would prefer an RVer because we don't want folks living in our home. As far as amenities, there is power (both 110 and 220) and non-potable water (our shallow well comes from an underground stream below a creek). No dump as we have a septic system and county doesn't allow for RV dumping on site. We would allow the use of our shop that would accommodate a large RV of up to 50' if there is such a thing. There are RV parks and a state park nearby for dumping and water. We get our drinking water in 3 gallon jugs from a dispensary at a local grocery store.

We live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with city and county parks nearby. There are also miles of trails in the park across the road and 3000 acres of private land just a short walk away up the road. We are 5 miles from town on 6 wooded acres.

I believe there would be full-time RVers who would welcome the chance to take a break from their travels for 3-4 week periods. It would be like hosting a campground but no people and no toilets to clean (just a litter box, lol).

We still have a few months so will ask folks we meet on our upcoming trips. Thanks for all your suggestions and I am so sorry about some of your experiences.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
advertising for RV folks to watch our place, care for pets and do some light duty work, like watering greenhouse and garden?

I certainly would not. Friends, neighbors, relatives. Those are the 'only' people I would let watch my home and pets.

I hired a family ONCE, a mother and daughter team to watch my place when I went to Florida for 4 weeks. I figured hiring the mother also would be insurance that the younger girl WOULD do the job per my instructions. How wrong could I have been.:(

Never cleaned cat box, left door open on greenhouse all the plants including 40+ year old specialty trees and plants all dead, horses not taken care of properly, house was a disaster, etc. etc.

Not trying to rain on your parade but when it comes to your pets and home you have to be VERY careful who you let take care of it in your absence.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with word of mouth. Ask everyone you know if they know of someone. My friends found a housesitter at their church.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know how long you have been retired, but is there anyone that you still remember from your former work places that you would trust? Have any of your acquaintances or neighbors used house sitters?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would try to find someone by word of mouth. We have house sat for good friends for about 3 weeks, not a problem, we live about 5 miles away. We watched my neighbors house for 4 months. I even felt funny walking into their bedroom. I know how much friends appreciated it due to our honest nature but not everyone is as honest as we are. I would be very careful because of the wackos out there.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
We have a friend who is a college professor and he has always found us a reliable
student to house sit for a couple of weeks. Not so sure how it would work for a longer period of time, but a graduate student or visiting professor might work out.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

luvglass
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why Angies list or a college student would be any more trustworthy than a full timer. If you want an RVer though, do you have hook ups and what time period in required? Also, where are you located and what will the weather be like?
Fred Wishnie
2006 Carriage Cameo 35KS3, 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually, fulltimer
See our blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/wanderingwishnies

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Nanny

Look at the link above if you still want to do that good luck.

jimR

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
I would first ask if your daughter can recommend someone who might be able to trusted and could use a place to stay while you are traveling. Maybe she has a friend, coworker, or someone who she can verify would be a good fit to house sit.

If you are near a college campus their are always options for Grad students or others looking to help out and in return a place to stay.

Angies' List is another option. I would stay away from Craigslist.

Of course with anyone you choose, ensure you get good references and verify their references -- maybe cross-check their references.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I personally would not want anyone I did not know personally having 100% access to my house. Relatives, close friends, yes. Stranger ... no.

But I do understand the "circle of friends and family" could be relatively small as mine are. And those availble might not be responsible either. I (thought) I was fortunate to entrust my house to my sister when we were gone for some longer trips. She would check on our cats, change litter every couple days, make sure they had water and food. No problem. This she did perfect, no complaints.

But to our sorrow, she also ended up bring my mother with her, my other sister with her, and between them all, the rummaged, pilfered, and nib-nosed into our personal files, finances, bills, paperwork, everything personal to figure out (who knows what). This caused quite a problem with my mother, which ended up at my request that my mother re-do her will and absolutely take me out of it. It got that awful. By the way, my mother did finally oblige, had her will re-done and made sure I was left out.

What I'm saying is, even someone you trust could stab you in the back!

We now take our cats with us. They're happier and so are we.

But enough of my personal battles.

Have you considered Angieslist.com?