Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How did I do this? - Bent Ball Mount

CaptainLarry
Explorer
Explorer

Hey Guys,

My buddy showed me his cheap Harbor Freight load compensation hitch because he thought the ball was causing wear on his mount. I paused and said, the whole thing looks bent to me.

My questions to you are, it does look bent, right? And how would one do this?

I guess I'm thinking going over a tall RR crossing might have this effect.

Larry

Moderator edit to fix picture URL's

44 REPLIES 44

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
The OP didn't ask for opinions concerning the hitch brand. Bashing the hitch brand or its the brand products sure doesn't help the OP with his question.

I would look at a new hitch with the same part number and see if it looks the same.

This website needs a no brand bashing rule like one of my non rv forums that is ham radio/electronic Communication devices/etc. They have a no tolerance policy. One bash and your history. Its a great forum to learn without the "my brand is best and the other brand is junk" that is a fact of life on the website.

from reading this thread, it appears to me that this was operator error. started out as "bashing" if this meets the definition, but after discussion, operator error.
bumpy

I have never used a sway bar and my trailer is real heavy with 3 axels. Snapped the ball right off years a go going 70mph and hit one of them whoop-dee-do bridges near Burlington NC on I-40.....Thanks to a good truck damage was minimal. Another time on MD Rt 3 someone came South in the North bound lanes. I went in the medium and hit a tree the Reese brand hitch bent up a good bit where the ball mounted but nothing broke. Buy the best you can it may save your life.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have bent one myself, and it was not Harbor Freight brand, it was made by Draw Tite. I forgot to remove the sway bar, prior to backing up. It not only bent the hitch head, but also snapped the small ball mount off the trailer frame.

Over the years, I've installed maybe a half dozen of these sway bar kits. All of the owners manuals had a statement about removing the bar, prior to backing up.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The OP didn't ask for opinions concerning the hitch brand. Bashing the hitch brand or its the brand products sure doesn't help the OP with his question.

I would look at a new hitch with the same part number and see if it looks the same.

This website needs a no brand bashing rule like one of my non rv forums that is ham radio/electronic Communication devices/etc. They have a no tolerance policy. One bash and your history. Its a great forum to learn without the "my brand is best and the other brand is junk" that is a fact of life on the website.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
It appears that you are using 2 sway bars. My guess is you backed up without releasing the tension of the sway bars. You need to release the tension always when backing up. You also do not need two sway bars. one sway bar puts tension on the other. Add some cheap Chinese steel and you have your answer. FYI Curt is Chinese junk if that is what that is.

I agree, backed up with the sway bars on instead of taking them off. Usally when they sell the smaller kit ,its only one bar. They do help, but i had them on my pop up that was like 3500 lbs. I would get something diffrent for a heavier trailor. But you will break stuff if they are overnightined or if you back up with them on.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Harbor Freight unit is physically IDENTICAL to the Reese 49903 model, and I have not heard one disparaging remark about it until today. It's one of their "hidden gems" and I fully expect that the damage here was done by mistake.

Even being a little bit overloaded shouldn't bend the hitch.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Like already stated a few times... Harbor Freight is GREAT for some items.... disposable gloves, tape, open end wrench for an odd job, misc hand/non power tools tools..

I would NOT buy anything from them that was directly related to the safety or well being of my family , or anybody elses family...

want a tarp, great run over to HF.... Want a hitch, buy from someone else..

and YES - you DO get what YOU pay for

Just MY opinion
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that you are using 2 sway bars. My guess is you backed up without releasing the tension of the sway bars. You need to release the tension always when backing up. You also do not need two sway bars. one sway bar puts tension on the other. Add some cheap Chinese steel and you have your answer. FYI Curt is Chinese junk if that is what that is.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bet it had something to do with the dual little balls on the side and getting the trailer in a jack-knife situation and those dumb friction sway bar things that folks think do anything just bent the hell out of it... ha, ha...

Yeah, yeah... Everyone needs "sway control".... Been towing stuff with the same EAZ-Lift hitch and bar setup for almost 20 years on 2 different trailers and have yet to need to add that little ball thing...

I do like the grease zerks on the sides where the bars would slide into.. Wish mine had those... I just grease my bars manually, so it still works.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

CaptainLarry
Explorer
Explorer
I did ask him to remove the ball. It was wiggling when I saw it but he did not have the tools to remove it at the time. Certainly something odd going on there.

CaptainLarry
Explorer
Explorer
This is all great discussion. I honestly did not expect such helpful treatment. I look forward to passing this along and encouraging my friend (I wonder if you guys think "my friend" is actually me. :)) to join the discussion.

Here are the stats. He is already doing some more thinking himself.

As already stated: https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-lb-capacity-weight-distributing-hitch-system-67649.html

Make and model?

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2014-shasta-flyte-travel-trailer-floorplan-315ok-tr19997

2014 Shasta 315 - the above link says 5,800 lbs. dry, but our sticker says 6,400.

He measured 1000 pounds tongue weight nearly empty and expects his loaded tongue to be more like 1100. (overloaded)

I'll have to think through the scenarios you all have proposed and ask him about his friction sway set-up.

Thanks.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
The sway bar was to tight or he took a hard right turn and binded the sway bar causing the bend

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
No question...replace!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO...looks like jackknifed to the left and the friction bar bottomed out and bent the left minball mounting plate...therefore since the main ball on the same plate...it also bent
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
. My guess with bending down of the 2 5/16 " main ball mount and the left lean ( possible a also forward lean? ) of the left friction sway brake mini ball is that too sharp of a left jackknife turn bottomed out the left friction sway brake which would pull on the main ball, push on the mini ball. causing both to bend their mounts as shown.
From my welders and fabricators point of view, it is not a fault with the hitch, Maybe just too sharp of a turn, the sway brake rear mount set up too close on the tongue to allow fullslide action before ending its stroke.
This would cause one to bend down, the other up and sideways proportionally to the forces.