cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HOW do I do this?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Newly full time rver...but have used our well loved rv for the past 9 years. We have our eyes on an rv in Michigan; we have home base in NY so far. Private purchase. WHERE or HOW do we register it while on the road? Michigan? South Dakota (use Ny plates until we get there from old rv). We won't be back to ny until christmas time.

Also, is there a smooth/easy way to sell our old 2005 class c jayco while on to road when it is a private purchase? The price will be cheap because we just need to move it so price is not an issue...do not need to get a lot of money for it.
Donna
27 REPLIES 27

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
The OP had posted previously about going fulltime and changing Domicile to SD anyway, IF that is still the long term plan, I would make the jump now, while they are already halfway there, and they can change out the Drivers lic and everything else at the same time.
If they are NOT planning on the shift in the near future, go back to NY and pay up.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't register it in NY. I'd find a way to register it in Arizona and save a **** load of money ever year.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
dcason wrote:
Because we won't be back in NY until mid december soonest. Need to register it somewhere and not sure if I can do it virtually in ny and with appointments necessary at motor vehicle...that could be difficult or impossible?

Maybe this won't work?

Sorry, usually SD comes up because people are changing domicile to get clear of a high tax state (like NY).

If your domicile will still be in NY, no reason to get SD involved. Just do the transfer in Michigan, register in NY (as indicated most states have options if you aren't in the state).

Depending on where you buy in Michigan, it's just a long day trip in the car to get back to NY, so if you feel better drive over to the western edge of NY and do it in person.

Obviously, last year was odd but we spend 6 months and 5,000miles with no plate on the trailer because Michigan couldn't get around to processing our paperwork (we bought in Nebraska and switched there). Only ones to ask were 2 RV parks as we couldn't give them a license plate number but as soon as we explained, they shrugged and checked us in.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have purchased a car and an RV in states other than our domicile state (we're full-timers domiciled with Escapees in Texas). In both cases, we or the dealer did all the paperwork, included a check for the taxes and registration fees, and registered the vehicles by mail. The registration, plates and titles went to our Escapees mail service and we had them forwarded.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
You physically will be half way to SD going to Michigan for the purchase. I would consider going on to SD with both rigs, and shifting property from one to the other there as well, as establishing domicile and getting other chores done at the same time.
Your issue likely is getting a temporary tag to arrange title in either NY or SD.
I dont know if Mi will give you a temporary tag , all I could find online was for residents only.
If your goal is SD for all paperwork, have you already established an account with Dakota Post or another service. For a fee, they will get your title and plate done and then mail everything to you. You would be stuck in Michigan for a few days waiting for the paperwork and tags.
Good luck

Explorer II
Explorer II
Or have a friend or relative in NY help, Register for someone else
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like Valhalla360 stated, domicile can be difficult to establish and, as you apparently know, NY does not let go easily. If you don't plan on being in NY more that 180 days each year, there's nothing wrong with establishing domicile elsewhere. Keep in mind owning real estate, even in NY, does not by itself make one a resident at that location.

A good source is the Escapees site and forums, and they have a well-established mailing service for those who choose SD, TX, or FL. As a FL resident, I can tell you the state is well-prepared to handle non full-time residents, what with the big numbers of snowbirds and RV'ers. It might even be worth a trip to FL to sell the existing RV and purchase new in FL, and establish domicile at the same time.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Explorer II
Explorer II
This may help, While out of state
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Because we won't be back in NY until mid december soonest. Need to register it somewhere and not sure if I can do it virtually in ny and with appointments necessary at motor vehicle...that could be difficult or impossible?

Maybe this won't work?

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you selling your NY home? You can't just transfer the plates from your old rig to the new?
Also what are you trying to accomplish tax wise? Ny taxes vehicle once per owner,when you purchase. and our registration fees are actually quite reasonable compared to other states.
To sell your old oneyou need a trusted friend /relative or a consignment lot.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
If going to domicile in NY, why get SD involved? Can likely get a temp tag to get to NY, for any inspections needed to title/tag it. Then do your sale in the state you know best.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
I am fully aware that NY state, a high tax state won't give up easily...so for now NY will be our domicile...don't want them coming after me for $$$.

Can I register it in South dakota...with me driving said rv to south dakota and husband taking the new one and hang until we sell it? Sell it to a car lot? any other ideas how to move it quick? Before hand put it up for sale in michigan?

I hope I can get this to work.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Selling/Buying: Selling might be a challenge but now is probably the best time in years to do it on the road with sales thru the roof. Plan on stopping somewhere for a month or so because realistically, you will have to show it to potential buyers. Probably in Michigan, so you can transfer your stuff to the new RV or if you have a friend who can show it, put it in storage near them (and make sure they have a good understanding of how things work). It will still likely by a bit of a hassle doing paperwork remotely but certainly doable.

Domicile: Unfortunately, it's not fill out a form and you have a new domicile...you have to build up a case. With "normal" people, it's clear cut because everything is quickly transferred to their new state. Key items are they sell the old house and buy a new house. Likewise, their job moves from the old state to the new. License, registration, utilities, etc...all transfer to the new state. They wind up spending upwards of 90% of their time in their new state. It's all very obvious and clear cut.

As a full time traveler, you don't have several of those key data points, so you need to make sure as much as possible that what you can document that you aren't domiciling in NY.

If you will still be spending significant time in NY, you may have difficulty changing your domicile. They aren't dumb and if it's going to cost them tax/registration dollars, they will challenge it, if it's not clear cut. You want to get your license, registration and other bills assigned to an out of state address...cut as many ties as possible. Get a mail service in your chosen state. Consider starting a blog which documents your travels showing that you are not living in NY. Ideally, also, try to keep your time spent in NY limited. If you spend all summer in NY, they may treat that as you still living in NY.

This isn't to be alarmist. Lots of people do it and it's perfectly legal...just make sure you are methodical and you shouldn't have to worry about it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV