cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you secure your gps?

Disneyfix
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the Garmin 760rv...how do you secure you gps unit. Worth buying friction mount? I don't think the suction cup it came with will do the trick.
Thanks.
23 REPLIES 23

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Ford F-350. The console has four cup holders. I used the supplied suction mount, and drilled two holes thru the base, and two matching holes on the top of the cup holder and thru bolted the holder. I still have access to two cup holders and I like the position of the GPS.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I affix the GPS to a block of wood which rests on the dash and is held in place by a piece of wire thru one of the vents under the windshield. Easily removed when necessary.
If you use the suction cup method try attaching velcro with loops to the suction cup and velcro with hooks to the windshield. Should hold much better than the suction cup alone.

I tried sticking velcro to the suction cup on my dash cam. wouldn't hold at all.
bumpy

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I affix the GPS to a block of wood which rests on the dash and is held in place by a piece of wire thru one of the vents under the windshield. Easily removed when necessary.
If you use the suction cup method try attaching velcro with loops to the suction cup and velcro with hooks to the windshield. Should hold much better than the suction cup alone.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got a base velcroed to the top of the dash in the insert, and have the base screwed to that. Got tired of it falling. Now. It ain't goin no where
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
i bought a mount that slides into the cd slot, and it works really good. ebay , about 8.
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have tried the bean bag type that the others have said they liked but I found them bulky and and hard to store.

I like This One better,it is lighter smaller, more flexible and more compact, it can be folded for easy storage. It can be molded to fit anywhere on the dash and it doesn't slide around.
This is it in action

I put it in One of These with the Garmin and it is easy to store or take along.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bean bag here.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Bean Bag
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a firm believer in not having projectile objects in my vehicles for emergency situations. I recommend an approoriately sized iOttie mount.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Bean bag for me also. Stays where I put it. And I can easily put it where I want, or adjust it while I drive. And when stopped, easy to temporarily put it in the floor or console out of sight.

And some states have laws about attaching them to the windshield.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
10 years and counting with this:

Easy to grab and put into another vehicle too.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, we have had good luck with the suction mounted attachments for GPS and cell phones. I bought a suction cup mount for the Ford Focus I bought back in December. A couple weeks ago I was in a car accident where a lady ran a red light. My car was hit in the front and totaled. I had my cell phone in the suction cup mount to the left of my steering wheel. When I went to call 911, I could not find my phone. After a little searching, I found it on my dash at the other end of the dashboard, unscathed. The suction cup was still attached to the window, but the cradle the phone was in was not there. When I went ot the wrecking yard to get the stuff out of my car, the suction cup was still in place. I found the cradle in between the passenger door and passenger seat. It all still works and the suction still remains. I will probably use it in my new Subaru or the motorhome. Give the suction cup a try that came with it. If it doesn't work, seek out alternative means.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Pops wrote:
I use a sock full of dimes & pennies.

A Crown Royal bag with pennies works too. ๐Ÿ™‚
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Ram built my Garmin to the dashboard of the truck. Couldn't really picture a 10" screen hanging from the windshield ๐Ÿ˜‰

Navigator number 2 (aka cell phone) sits in a cup holder and yells at me through the speakers. It's funniest when the two navigators (both female voices) start talking over each other, and sometimes they don't agree.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed